UPS Shipping Info

UPS has just initiated a new insurance for wine spoilage during shipping. If you have a UPS rep they have to sign you up for it. The cost is about the same as the other insurance but it covers wines shipped that are damaged by weather, leakers, etc.

They probably have some kind of disclaimers but I have not seen the paperwork on it yet. We had a supervisor in today that was telling us about it.
Hopefully it’s not one of those “if it sounds too good to be true it is”

Wow - wonder how that will turn out!

UPS is apparently trying to cater to the market. During the summer they have special refrigerated shipping that is already expanding from one day a week to three days a week to cover more locations.

I am sure they have enough requirements/disclaimers to make sure they don’t loose money on this.
There is probably some language about using the refer trucks or other controlled shipping methods, which will of course, cost more.

They have probably read the shipping rants in here and see a potential source of revenue.

Just don’t ship with California Wine Transport. [soap.gif]

I hope they do provide the widespread service of refrigerated trucks. Having recently possibly ruined some wine (not sure yet) due to my own stupidity, I would be happy to have that option in the future.

I spoke to our UPS rep about this scenario, and the trucks themselves (the pickup and delivery trucks) are not refrigerated - only the transportation from one hub to the next are refrigerated. They don’t intend on retrofitting all their fleet to be reefers.

They are trying it out on me as they left a wine shipment sitting on my front porch in the direct sun Wednesday rather than leave the package in the garage like they do with everything else they deliver. [head-bang.gif]
Wonder if the shipper used the service?

I know this comment will get a lot of blowback, but when I read about FedEx or UPS drivers just leaving wine shipments for people it makes me hope that the Wine & Beer wholesaler folks don’t spend a lot of time here. As we know, one of their main arguments in favor of restricting alcohol shipments is that doing so makes underage drinking easier. I’m sure your drivers know you, but they ARE ignoring the law aren’t they? Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

[soap.gif] pileon

Then why bother? We routinely see our shipments being delivered to the recipient at 5:00, 6:00 and even later. Four or five hours in the back of a UPS truck in July at 125°? Not good.

I like FedEx Ground (not Home) for wine shipments because they arrive around 9 am; UPS is usually late afternoon.

spoke to our UPS rep last week about the Summer Shipping Program and he mentioned that shipments utilizing this option are insured for “heat damage” (though i haven’t yet read the fine print to see what the limits or restrictions are).

he also said that deliveries to business addresses have priority and get delivered (usually) by late morning. shipments going to residential addresses are then dropped off in the afternoon (or later).

I have all my wine shipments sent to the local hub, in part, because I believe the most dangerous part of the trip is sitting in the truck for local delivery. Then I pick them up on my way home. Even without refrigeration, there is must less chance of damage in the back of a full 18-wheeler.

They know me so well at the UPS hub that they even accepted a package from the FedEx guy!

There are so many ways to avoid the pitfalls of shipping in bad weather, both hot and cold. We all want to save a buck, but shipping ground sometimes is asking for vinegar or winecicle. Shipping to a business is cheaper, quicker and the least problematic. Retailers shipping without adult signature required will bolster the wholesalers argument to control all alcohol distribution and if the stats get high enough, the paid off politicians will hand it over to them. If the wine’s that important to you, ship it appropriate to the temperatures between you and the shipper. It may be 50 in Maine and 70 in LA the day of shipping, but your ground shipped wine went through Phoenix, (106), Sante Fe, (104) and Dallas, (102). 3 Day? 2nd day? is how much more to get your wine to you.

Ken’s system works for him and eliminates the cost and requirements of somebody being home for residential delivery. [thumbs-up.gif]

Avoiding the adult signature is against the shipping agreement that retailers/wineries have with UPS/Fed Ex. I know the shippers make two to three bucks to collect the signature.

shipped an expensive btl overnight. supposed to arrive by 10am. UPS has yet to deliver it (currently 427pm). This is gonna be fun. 80F+ outside in Los Angeles… hopefully it’s not damaged.

I use the same method Ken and it also works great for me. They keep it in the office so it does not sit in the warehouse/ distribution garage.

Using a shipper that transports with refrigeration to the hubs (UPS or other) and shipping to a biz address (as was said) are your best bets. Or order in October.