Interesting tactic by Wholesaler

Retailers and wineries have been battling a number of states that have exclusionary laws prohibiting sales/shipping into those states. The Granholm decision has been used to break down some of the barriers.

The retailers and wineries have also been battling laws proposed by wholesalers that would eliminate on-line sales/shipping of wine, giving the wholesalers total control of distribution.

One of those wholesalers that is very active in the wholesale control laws is Southern Wine and Spirits. SWS got a taste of what retailers/wineries have been dealing with, when they tried to expand into Missouri. Missouri law requires distributorships be owned by residents of the state. SWS challenged the law, citing of all things, the Granholm decision, but the Federal Court in Missouri denied their petition.

http://www.specialtywineretailers.org/blog/

Where have you been? CA is so open. Come east and see what it’s like. Good for MO.

It’s not surprising, but I still find it a bit disgusting that they would try to use that decision to their advantage. Good for Missouri, indeed. Now if only we could get other states to start proposing similar legislation, maybe a nation of smaller, locally owned wholesalers would act a bit more appropriately. (I know it will never happen, but I can dream, can’t I?)