Retailers in Cleveland?

Hi All,

I moved to Cleveland (Heights) about a year ago and have been looking around for some geek-friendly stores in the area, but have not had much luck with any near me. I’ve been to some down Mayfield or in Little Italy, but have not been able to find much variety outside of Italy, West Coast, and Bordeaux. Anyone know a place with a good Burgundy/Beaujolais/Loire/Germany selection?

Wet your Whistle in Madison. Let me know if you’re out that way as I live in Mentor & would love to share a bottle anytime!

I would add West Point Market in Akron

David,

Thank you, I would have never found it on my own without them having a website, I will definitely check it out. And I’ll let you know when I do; it’s good to know there are other wine geeks in the area.

-Tristan

I spent the summer of 2011 in good old Cleveland and found the same issue. I had the best success locally at Western Reserve Wine in Solon. I also second Wet Your Whistle in Madison, it was by far the coolest shop in Ohio, plus they have some awesomely priced older wines (89 Chave, 91 Ridge Monte Bello). Hope that helps.

Can you provide some specifics on Wet Your Whistle? Is it worth an hour (one-way) drive?

Thanks

Easily yes. It has by far the best selection of aged wines for cheap that I have seen. I purchased a beautiful bottle of Edmunds St. John Grand Heritage Syrah from 1993 for about 30 bucks. Awesome condition too

Ken is the owner at WYW. A really good guy and great palate. give yourself plenty of time as you need to sort thru cartons and crates to find some of the gems. The BUrgs have been pretty picked over but he is always bringing in new stuff (albeit at Ohio pricing).

Tristan, have you checked out the Wine Spot on Lee Road? Adam is a nice guy and cool selection. Shoot me a PM or e-mail if you want more info. I am also on the east side of town.