Rising California lower-end wine prices, especially Napa Cab

I’m working on a project for a large Chinese food distribution company that has had experience in importing wine, but is just now seriously pursuing a California program. My work is showing a very high percentage increase in Napa Cab, especially at the low end of the market (ie- a Napa Cab that was around $8 wholesale last summer is now $12 through a distributor, and even higher for a private label program with juice sourced today. That’s 50%+ in less than a year).

Question… Anyone out there who would dispute this? Anyone have a suggestion in case I’m looking in the wrong places?

I KNOW everyone (and their brother) is out there sourcing for China. I’m simply trying to be sure I get my clients the best info I can.

[scratch.gif]

A couple of short crop years and the bulk market dries up. It’ll probably get worse before it gets any better.

Yeah, exactly. And the low end of the market is often bulk juice, too, probably particularly for anyone who’d have enough to handle a China deal, so those wines are going to be going away. Same problem is going to hit any negociant/virtual wineries out there in CA; they’ll either be unable to get the grapes/juice/wine in the first place, or the cost will be so high to them they’ll be priced out of the market. I guess you’d say were at the start of a “market correction.”

If I needed any more evidence… a lower-end Napa Cab I used to buy for my shop (made by a large private label producer) then wholesaled at around $7, but has risen to $12 (over 4 vintages) … AND now I’m told they have suspended production completely.

On a side note - if you or anyone is interested in mingling with others involved in the China market, check out the “China Opportunity” seminar in Napa. Seminar: The China Opportunity | PDF | China | World Politics