2009 Domaine Fourrier -- the gig is up!

Every year I have been in this business – granted I am only 34 – I see the wines of Fourrier becoming ever so slightly more popular. I have been developing an extensive Burgundy customer base for the last couple of years and last year received a fairly generous offering of Fourrier’s 2008 line-up from Rosenthal selections who we do a lot of business with. I thought 2009 was going to be the same. Nah, ah! The gig is up ladies and gentleman. Fourrier in Burgundy is now a household name. Soon to be a 3 star producer and spoken about in the same sentence as DRC, Roumier, Rousseau and the works. Yes, you heard that correctly. Every poor soul with some yearning for a burgundy collection is speaking about Fourrier. For QPR, I don’t think there is anything better. Especially for his basic Gevrey VV which is mesmerizing for the price. I normally receive multiple cases of this wine and this year I received two – already pre-sold months ago to some of my Burg customers. I don’t know whether to be happy that such a great Burg producer is finally getting his due, or sad that these wines will be harder to come by. Especially as the Chinese and Russians begin to sniff around. We wil see…

Jeremy Block
Wine Consultant
Sussex Wine and Spirits
212-867-5838
www.twitter.com/jeremysblock
Blog: www.wineasametaphor.com

This is worrisome for all of us with small pockets. Also, must be nice having your distributor of Rosenthal do their job and get allocations out. Retail shops here haven’t even heard what they are officially getting and have no idea when they should “arrive.”

Looks like somebody went long on Fourrier…

??? What do you mean?