Wine Aerators?

I have never been much of a fan of these (I much prefer the wine to open up slowly in the bottle or glass)…but I have had reverse inquiries from several customers. Any opinions on which is best and for a reaesoable price?

I’m not much of a fan either but the general public really seems to like these things. I found it interesting that several winery tasting rooms around California are now providing these for people who wish to use them.

The Vinturi seems to be the most popular but Costco now has them for a ridiculously low price here in SoCal, so… ;o[

There’s a smaller, less expensive one called VinoAir. It seems to do a decent job for people at around $20 retail in most small shops. It looks and seems to work much like the Nuance, which is more money. Both are in-bottle aerators which seems to be a selling point because they’re easier to use and less to deal with.

Hope this helps.

Michelle,

Vinturi got all the glam and now has a stand. Costco sales just about killed our sales of the Vinturi. Personally don’t like the Vinturi because of its small opening leaking out the air holes.

Soiree is a hand blown cutesy aerator that slips into the bottle.

Bev Wizard Wine Smoother has magnets and aeration. It has a pour spout and also attaches to the bottle.
http://bevwizard.com/info/

Hi all…thanks for the advice. With the Holiday craziness, I forgot that I had this thread hanging. I agree the Vinturi is overrated, so I ended up buying the Soiree and it is selling well.

Have a great month, you all!

Vinturi - it works.

Michelle,

One other item you might want to look into is the Haley’s Corker. We have about ten at home, use four at the store and sell quite a few of them. We also got “Trade” packs of 8 that were specially priced so we could sell them to our wine reps and local wineries, but I don’t know if they still offer them. The corkers aerate fairly well, filter out the medium and large sediment, keep fruit flies out of the bottle and seal real well for a couple years until they start to wear out. Dishwasher safe too.

http://www.winecorker.org/

I received the Vinturi as a gift. It gets the job done when I need it.

I agree that it does change the wine, whether for the better, i’m not sure.

We use the Haley’s at our wine bar and sell them retail as well. They have two sizes, one for corked bottles (black) and one for screwcap bottles (green).

Agreed, depends on the wine. I’ve made the mistake of using it on wines over 10yrs old and it basically kills them off, but young aggressive wines have benefited greatly when I’ve used it on them.

Agree. Great for young wines.

YMMV, but my experience is that it makes a big difference on these young wines but my side by side pours have the non-vinturi glass tasting better after 45 minutes or so.

vinturi works. in double blind tastings the vinturi wins but it really depends on the wine. we use it for young tanic monsters.

I would check the reviews on Amazon corporation web site before buying the Soirée.

just got one (sorry, I don’t have the brand, I think its European maybe Swiss) for about $20 that is just a funnel with the bottom sealed off and holes in the side, so the wine flows out sideways instead of down. Also, its stainless, so no worries re wine in contact with plastic or rubber, there is a removable screen if you want to filter anything out, and an elegant base too.

Haven’t tested it yet re aerating effect, but wine goes through fine.

I ended up going with the Soiree, despite the reviews on Amazon that had a problem with breakage. If you use the Soiree with anything other than a two-handed pour, you are asking for trouble. But, it is so easy to do a two handed pour, so I opted for the “more molecules exposed to air” argument. And I am glad I did. This thing works. I still prefer to decant and air, but I don’t always plan that far ahead.

Michelle, not a fan of wine aerators for the same reason, prefer to decant a wine in the glass, swirl and watch it develop over time. Generally advise customers against them. I do however use a Nuiance Wine Finer. It is a wine aerator, but more importantly, functions loosely as a “filter” when you are near the end of a special bottle to screen sediment. Might look into it as an option?

Vinturi? Sure, but you can get a cheap blender for $15. Nathan Myhrvold touts it, and I’m here to say it works. You’ve probably seen the YouTube demos, they’re pretty stupid, because they always use cheap stuff. Yes, it’s very genteel to open a 12-year-old Bordeaux and let it do it’s thing over the course of a few hours. I’m not genteel. I’m an American. I want the Good Thing Now. Thus, 60 seconds in the ol’ Waring. It looks really alarming when it foams up, but that’s temporary. And the proof, as they say, is in the tasting. We whipped up a 2000 Chateau Bellefont-Belcier last week, and it was completely scrumptious.

I have a Vinturi. 90% of the time I forget to use it! It works when I do though.

1 Like

What does it mean when you say “it works”?