THIS is the kind of fraud I worry about...

A guy came into the store Thursday. Picks out a bunch of items. Wants to take them, not have them delivered (‘stocking up for the holidays in Jersey City’). Pulls out small card wallet with 3-4 credit cards. Hands me one that looks a bit sketchy, the card isn’t punched out well and it has a weird children’s charity name on it instead of a bank logo but has the VISA logo on the front in the corner and the NYCE and other bank consortium names for Debit networks on the back as normal cards would.

Well, the items he picked might seem like ‘normal’ shopping but they’re all in the top 10 of most picked up items when we have a fraud chargeback. Veuve Clicquot Yellow label, Ciroc Coconut, Patron Silver, Hennessy VS.

At this time of year I’m especially vigilant, so a credit card sale over $100 will require ID from anyone I don’t already know. He hands me an obviously fake NJ license. It ‘looks’ like a real license but to the trained eye it’s a picture of the background and a mediocre pic of him. It has the ‘genuine authentic’ seal used on fakes but the ovals are rubbed down so you can’t read the actual words on them. No hologram or holographic pic in the corner as there should be under the blacklight.

I’m getting about one of these a week now.

If you’re in a major city or a major suburban area please keep your eyes open for shady-looking credit cards and ask for ID with all credit card purchases. If you ship do what you can to protect yourself!

Freakin thieves. We’re too lenient in the US. So what did you do, Brent? I need endings to stories.

You should have sent him to the Buy Rite in Jersey City. [oops.gif]

What a cliff hanger!

did he send him down the block to the liqour store with bullet proof windows??

When i was working at the AUSA they just started to prosecute this huge ring of waiters/busboys who were stealing credit card info. It’s so ridiculously easy that I’m surprised it doesn’t happen more.