someone stole a f%%%%%% bottle

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. someone just stole a bottle from my shop! Fuckin sonsofbitches. A 2004 Lillian from the cellar.

Our first theft was a bottle of Bryant and the second was 1870 Madeira. We now have obvious video surveillance. May not catch them but we’ll have a record of it. Some of the super pricey are under lock and key.

Did you get the hide and leave, snatch and run or the gypsy style two people to keep you busy while the third does the shopping?

I was carry out a case for lady who was holding her son. When I came back in he said that he has driven by many times and just had a chance to stop and that he was going to see if his girlfriend wanted to come in. When he stepped outside I turned to do something and then I realized that he got in the car to back up. I then started having that feeling and noticed the door to the cellar wasn’t closed. I went in scanned and noticed this bottle was gone. SOB. The only good thing is, he probably doesn’t know or think that I found out what happened and might come back.

We want to trust people, but there are too many thieves. Spend the money. Costco has surveillance systems for under $1000.00 or you can have one professionally installed. The one we have now can hook up to our network and I can do remote surveillance. I don’t, because I’m too lazy to set that part up. Visible camera’s and “24 hr surveillance” notices keep the honest people honest and the potential shoplifters thinking twice. That should reduce your theft by about 50 to 60 percent. Only a bullet stops a real thief, but thats not an option in this country.

That bites Travis, sorry to hear that.

When we have the big tour buses come to the winery their last stop is the wine shop and with 60 or so people coming through, I plan on losing a bottle or two each time. It is just impossible for me to do the whole process even if I have our farmer and his wife helping me man the shop. I think they see the quantity of wine there and they must reason that a bottle or two loss won’t hurt.

It is only the 2nd time this happened in 3.5 years. Though, I was burglarized just over a year ago. The bandits broke into the space next to me (no alarm) and went through the wall into a secure space in the shop. It was very well planned.

I’m sorry to hear about your loss. But looking at your web-site makes me wish I lived in a state where shipping was allowed! Next time I’m in Portland I will have to come by and see the store. Hope the rest of your day goes better

Geez… you have a bank vault hiding in there or something? That’s a lot of effort for some wine.

Ouch! Sorry to hear that Travis. Everything Randy said is spot on. Best to invest in good video surveillance system.
We have so many cameras in our store, it’s like Vegas. But good in capturing photos of thieves when they come the next time. He may also try to change his appearance if he comes back. It’s disheartening, sorry. That kind of stuff keeps you on your toes, and makes you appreciate the good customers.

i would suggest getting a cisco wireless ptz camera (wvc210) features include pan/tilt/zoom, 2 way intercom, secuirty mode, minimal lighting needed, security mode (when motion it detects as well as notify you by email with attached video clip from camera). Bonus is camera has mic and speaker built in so you could in theory speak to the thieves, let them know the police are being dispatched, etc. Worked so well for me in business I use one as nanny cam at the house. I can speak with wife/baby from anywhere on the road without needing to call home any more :slight_smile:. Each camera costs under 200, they only need power, and software can be installed on any computer (no additional hardware, wiring, etc). This is by far the cheapest method I have found for remote surveillance/security.

Check out www.smartvue.com. Company out of Nashville. I visited them several years ago during their development stage.

Im sorry to hear that Travis! Until my private cellar was broken into I was under the opinion that fine wine was something above being stolen. I just assumed that anyone that knew what was valuable must have enough money to have gained that appreciation for him/herself. I was wrong! We live in an online society and it seems that anything can be bought or sold over the web. I agree with David, that is the system I have in my buisness and home. It was cost effective and lets me sleep at night. I think something can be said for making an example of the first person you catch stealing so you can build a reputation of intolerance!
Hope you catch em!