More Saturday Retail Funnies

A forum for and about wine retailing. Consumer questions, retailer rants, etc. All are welcome to post
dteng

#1651 Post by dteng » July 7th, 2015, 12:19 pm

Bruce Leiser_owitz wrote:
jcoley3 wrote:[cheers.gif]

Bear in mind I'm often showing the customers in question local sweet red wines made from Concord, etc. We've got something for everyone!

You're both right, and I know this, it's just hit a point where I can see this exact interaction playing out to the same end as soon as it starts. It has the same feeling as when I pick up the phone and say, "This is Jim," and the person on the other end responds "Oh, is this Jim?"
Thread drift, but I can't tell you how many times I answer the phone with my name, and the person calling asks if they can speak to me........

Bruce
Tell 'em nope, not if you are asking. ;)
Dan

Peter Tryba

#1652 Post by Peter Tryba » July 7th, 2015, 4:46 pm

Turns out, the drinking occurred at an engagement party for the friend. The liter of Caymus was a gift for the couple to mark the year they met. So, this guy drank it from the gift table hahahaah
ITB
kidney fund: youcaring.com

Steven Miller

#1653 Post by Steven Miller » July 7th, 2015, 6:40 pm

Peter Tryba wrote:Turns out, the drinking occurred at an engagement party for the friend. The liter of Caymus was a gift for the couple to mark the year they met. So, this guy drank it from the gift table hahahaah
Ballsy, especially given he had no intention of replacing the gift
tread lightly

jcoley3
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1654 Post by jcoley3 » July 7th, 2015, 11:18 pm

dteng wrote:
Bruce Leiser_owitz wrote: Thread drift, but I can't tell you how many times I answer the phone with my name, and the person calling asks if they can speak to me........

Bruce
Tell 'em nope, not if you are asking. ;)
"Can you hold? Let me go find him."

I once flew off the handle on a real estate agent whom I had told repeatedly the number she had for me was my cell phone, and that if anyone answered it, it would be me, and yet, every single time she called, she asked me if she could speak with me.

I was taking a month-plus-long caffeine-break, and so was a little touchy when I lost it, but lost it I did. Not my finest hour, but it felt good after all those calls.
Jim Coley ITB

"So I say, like Ortega y Gasset, that when a lot of people agree on something, it's either a stupid idea or a beautiful woman." - Alvaro Mutis

"You could spend a lot more money, and not get a better Burgundy...” - Carlo Rossi

Alain M

#1655 Post by Alain M » July 10th, 2015, 1:09 pm

Thomas Keim wrote: "What is in this?" "It's very nice..."

We can't tell you... It's a secret recipe...

"What do you mean you can't tell me?"

The owner is very secretive of his recipes and blends, and other wineries sneak in and steal our recipes, so we don't disclose our blends...

"Really?" "And you think that is good business?"

Why yes, everyone does it, you go out to the best wineries in California or France and they NEVER release their recipes...

"Really?" "Who told you that?"

The owner has been to Europe sir, and he told us that...

"OOOOkay - what is next?"
Can't stop laughing! Thanks a bunch! [welldone.gif]

Alain
M ï c h € l

jcoley3
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1656 Post by jcoley3 » August 11th, 2015, 2:19 pm

One other pet peeve - dead heat of summer. Middle of the day on a Monday, occasionally a Tuesday. Corked bottle sitting by itself on the counter near my computer, where I am working. Non-wine buyer on their way to the rest room does a double-take like I have put out gold bars on the counter with a sign that says "FREE GOLD BARS!"

"Hey, are yuh doing a free wine tasting?!?"

"Yes, at 11AM on a hot summer Monday, in the dead of August, when the only people out are you and the people who sell me wine, that's when I have decided to have my free tasting of a single wine."

That's what I want to say, and, if I didn't have to wash the glass, I just might. Instead, I smile and say "Nope!"
Jim Coley ITB

"So I say, like Ortega y Gasset, that when a lot of people agree on something, it's either a stupid idea or a beautiful woman." - Alvaro Mutis

"You could spend a lot more money, and not get a better Burgundy...” - Carlo Rossi

PeterJ

#1657 Post by PeterJ » August 11th, 2015, 5:20 pm

jcoley3 wrote:One other pet peeve - dead heat of summer. Middle of the day on a Monday, occasionally a Tuesday. Corked bottle sitting by itself on the counter near my computer, where I am working. Non-wine buyer on their way to the rest room does a double-take like I have put out gold bars on the counter with a sign that says "FREE GOLD BARS!"

"Hey, are yuh doing a free wine tasting?!?"

"Yes, at 11AM on a hot summer Monday, in the dead of August, when the only people out are you and the people who sell me wine, that's when I have decided to have my free tasting of a single wine."

That's what I want to say, and, if I didn't have to wash the glass, I just might. Instead, I smile and say "Nope!"
Nice to hear from someone who enjoys their work and dealing with the public. ;o()
Peter J@ckel

Paul McCourt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1658 Post by Paul McCourt » August 14th, 2015, 8:52 am

Peter Tryba wrote:"I drank a friend's bottle of wine and want to replace it."

"Which wine?"

"Caymus 40th Anniversary"

"OK, we have the liter bottle (shows him)."

"What? I thought it was, like, ten bucks!?! I'm not paying that!"

The "friend" was standing right there the whole time.
I was in a West Village wine shop talking to an employee when this young woman walks in. He asks her if she needs help, and she tells the story about how she is house sitting her dads boss's townhouse, and her and her girlfriends got a little tipsy and drank 4 bottles of his wine. She said she would be deep trouble if anyone found out so she needed to replace them. He asks her the name, she Goes "something like Howt Brr-eye-on". He and I look at each other, then look at her, and says she brought one of the bottles. She whips it out and sure enough...
15 minutes later she was still hysterically crying after he broke the bad news to her. .
PauLeeeenda 2020

Corey N.

#1659 Post by Corey N. » August 14th, 2015, 8:58 am

^ I'm not sure that you picked up on the word "Funnies" in the thread title.

Poor kid.
WOTY: 2013 d’Yquem

Nøv¡¢k

Paul McCourt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1660 Post by Paul McCourt » August 14th, 2015, 9:04 am

Corey N. wrote:^ I'm not sure that you picked up on the word "Funnies" in the thread title.

Poor kid.
We actually felt awful for her. But being the awful human being I am, I still get a chuckle out of it. neener
PauLeeeenda 2020

Corey N.

#1661 Post by Corey N. » August 14th, 2015, 9:12 am

Ha!

I sorta wonder how these bottles were just lying about where she could access them. I get that it was in his home, but if these are the guy's daily drinkers, he probably wouldn't miss them much.

Nøv¡¢k

Paul McCourt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1662 Post by Paul McCourt » August 14th, 2015, 9:22 am

Corey N. wrote:Ha!

I sorta wonder how these bottles were just lying about where she could access them. I get that it was in his home, but if these are the guy's daily drinkers, he probably wouldn't miss them much.
We asked. She said he had a "whole room" of wine in the basement. In the end she figured he might not miss them. We nodded encouragement and told her it could be years before he looked for those specific bottles.
PauLeeeenda 2020

Corey N.

#1663 Post by Corey N. » August 14th, 2015, 9:27 am

Paul McCourt wrote:We asked. She said he had a "whole room" of wine in the basement. In the end she figured he might not miss them. We nodded encouragement and told her it could be years before he looked for those specific bottles.
Damn, that's smart. Hopefully she felt a bit better.

I must say from a customer perspective, I find most wine store folks unhelpful. Generally think that they should ask a couple questions to dial in on the wines you like.

Recent experience...I was at my LWS and tasted through a lineup of maybe 8 wines that they had available. None of them lit my fuse, so to speak. Asked the guy who was pouring, who I knew to be knowledgeable, whether he could recommend anything interesting.

Wine guy (with healthy attitude) "Didn't you find any of these wines interesting?"

Me: "No" (walks away)

Nøv¡¢k

Paul McCourt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1664 Post by Paul McCourt » August 14th, 2015, 10:14 am

It varies for me. Most of my interactions tend to be informational ("where is..?" " are you getting any in..?") than deeper discussions. Certain stores like Chambers Street I'll ask for more suggestions and get interesting answers.
PauLeeeenda 2020

Doug Schulman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1665 Post by Doug Schulman » August 14th, 2015, 10:58 am

Corey N. wrote:^ I'm not sure that you picked up on the word "Funnies" in the thread title.

Poor kid.
Yeah, poor her. The universe made her drink a lot of wine that wasn't hers without asking and potentially endanger her father's livelihood. She's the victim. [snort.gif]

I see this from time to time, but it's never been First Growth money. I usually get a chuckle out of it after the person leaves. A couple of times, I've had someone buy some pretty pricey wine to replace what they drank. It's not always the same vintage. I can't imagine doing something like that with someone trusting me to house sit. Pretty much every adult knows that some wine is very expensive.
ITB - retail sales and education

D@v1dZ

#1666 Post by D@v1dZ » August 17th, 2015, 12:43 pm

Saturday, I was at a LWS. Trying to find the roses. Look up down, everywhere. No roses. Finally I approach the counter in front: "hey, where do you guys have any rose". Silence. Strange looks. They clear their throats and glance at each other sideways. Suddenly, I realize I am standing in front of - like literally, 3 feet away from and facing directly at - a wall-sized display of maybe 15 SKUs of rose.

D@v!d P@rt@!n

#1667 Post by D@v!d P@rt@!n » August 19th, 2015, 9:01 pm

They just keep rollin in! Today this "gentleman" comes in and tells me he's looking for French Pinot Noir. I lead him to the Burgundies which are the only French PNs we have. He looks over the selection and asks again "Where is the Pinot Noir?" I answer "Sir all these red burgs are Pinot Noir" He says "How do you know?" (He's getting a bit $h!tty at this point.) I explain that red Burgundy is Pinot Noir by law. He replies "You are wrong, I just returned from Paris and it has to say Pinot Noir!" He left, my colleague and had a good chuckle.[wow.gif]
ITB: Todd did not send me a bill

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1668 Post by Mike Evans » August 20th, 2015, 5:43 am

Paul McCourt wrote:
Peter Tryba wrote:"I drank a friend's bottle of wine and want to replace it."

"Which wine?"

"Caymus 40th Anniversary"

"OK, we have the liter bottle (shows him)."

"What? I thought it was, like, ten bucks!?! I'm not paying that!"

The "friend" was standing right there the whole time.
I was in a West Village wine shop talking to an employee when this young woman walks in. He asks her if she needs help, and she tells the story about how she is house sitting her dads boss's townhouse, and her and her girlfriends got a little tipsy and drank 4 bottles of his wine. She said she would be deep trouble if anyone found out so she needed to replace them. He asks her the name, she Goes "something like Howt Brr-eye-on". He and I look at each other, then look at her, and says she brought one of the bottles. She whips it out and sure enough...
15 minutes later she was still hysterically crying after he broke the bad news to her. .
I'm very disappointed that no one asked the first question that popped into my mind: What vintage was it?

justinmcinerny

#1669 Post by justinmcinerny » September 18th, 2015, 10:56 am

D@v!d P@rt@!n wrote: red Burgundy is Pinot Noir by law. [wow.gif]

Here are a couple of minor exceptions, there are probably others.

Bourgogne Passe-tout-grains is an AOC Régional which produces red and rosé. The INAO requires the wine to have at least 30% Pinot Noir and at least 15% Gamay other allowable grapes are Chardonnay, Pinot Blanc and Pinot Gris.

Irancy, near Chablis, is Pinot Noir which may contain up to 10% César.
Justin
ITB - retail
suburban DC

Robert.Fleming

#1670 Post by Robert.Fleming » September 18th, 2015, 11:37 am

justinmcinerny wrote:
D@v!d P@rt@!n wrote: red Burgundy is Pinot Noir by law. [wow.gif]

Here are a couple of minor exceptions, there are probably others.

Bourgogne Passe-tout-grains is an AOC Régional which produces red and rosé. The INAO requires the wine to have at least 30% Pinot Noir and at least 15% Gamay other allowable grapes are Chardonnay, Pinot Blanc and Pinot Gris.

Irancy, near Chablis, is Pinot Noir which may contain up to 10% César.
Then there are Auxerrois and Grand Auxerrois, which use Pinot Noir, Gamay, and César for the reds (and Chardonnay and Aligoté for the whites).

edwardmilstein

#1671 Post by edwardmilstein » September 18th, 2015, 3:09 pm

and bourgogne rouge- which can have up to 10 or 15% gamay
drinker,drinker,drinker,collector,negotiant,importer.ITB

Kyle Whitney

#1672 Post by Kyle Whitney » September 21st, 2015, 3:58 am

And, of course, Beaujolais is part of Burgundy.

D@v1dZ

#1673 Post by D@v1dZ » September 30th, 2015, 11:45 am

Also the new Coteaux Bourguignons appellation, which can be damn near anything.

D@v!d P@rt@!n

#1674 Post by D@v!d P@rt@!n » October 8th, 2015, 9:24 pm

justinmcinerny wrote: Here are a couple of minor exceptions, there are probably others.
You got that right "Minor"

D@v!d P@rt@!n

#1675 Post by D@v!d P@rt@!n » October 8th, 2015, 9:25 pm

Kyle Whitney wrote:And, of course, Beaujolais is part of Burgundy.
Except for the part that is the Rhone neener

D@v!d P@rt@!n

#1676 Post by D@v!d P@rt@!n » October 8th, 2015, 9:26 pm

edwardmilstein wrote:and bourgogne rouge- which can have up to 10 or 15% gamay
None of these on our shelf Edward [cheers.gif]

Doug Schulman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1677 Post by Doug Schulman » October 9th, 2015, 4:47 pm

edwardmilstein wrote:and bourgogne rouge- which can have up to 10 or 15% gamay
This got me curious. I stumbled across this well-researched blog post (http://gargantuanwine.com/2015/09/guess ... cription-2), which says up to 30%. It also has some other interesting facts about what's allowed in Bourgogne Rouge. I had no idea.

Peter Tryba

#1678 Post by Peter Tryba » October 10th, 2015, 3:27 pm

Hey, wine geeks, go back to Wine Talk. Comedy only here please haha
ITB
kidney fund: youcaring.com

Doug Schulman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1679 Post by Doug Schulman » October 10th, 2015, 5:39 pm

Fine, back on topic.

An older customer today pointed at the case of Michelob Ultra that he was buying and said to me "this is a really good beer." He sounded like he thought he was offering me some really in-the-know advice that would help me out. I guess I wasn't able to completely contain my amusement as I said, "oh, yeah?". Seeing that I didn't agree, he came right back with "are you a Bud man?", as if that was the only other possibility. I didn't even know what to say.

D@v!d P@rt@!n

#1680 Post by D@v!d P@rt@!n » October 10th, 2015, 10:12 pm

Peter Tryba wrote:Hey, wine geeks, go back to Wine Talk. Comedy only here please haha
Thank you, pedants don't post non-funnies in the funnies! neener

D@v!d P@rt@!n

#1681 Post by D@v!d P@rt@!n » October 29th, 2015, 7:40 pm

Customer "Hi, I need a really good bottle of chardonnay." Me "So, tell me what kind of chardonnay you like?" Customer "Crisp, no oaky, buttery stuff." Me "Ok how about a Chablis?" Customer "I really like Rombauer" [wow.gif]

andy velebil

#1682 Post by andy velebil » October 31st, 2015, 4:38 pm

D@v!d P@rt@!n wrote:Customer "Hi, I need a really good bottle of chardonnay." Me "So, tell me what kind of chardonnay you like?" Customer "Crisp, no oaky, buttery stuff." Me "Ok how about a Chablis?" Customer "I really like Rombauer" [wow.gif]
Hahahahhaaha
I'm a Port drinking fool!
http://www.fortheloveofport.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ftlop.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

justinmcinerny

Barton & Guestier funny

#1683 Post by justinmcinerny » November 17th, 2015, 4:07 pm

Didn't happen on a Saturday in a store but it's funny (or so I think) and did not know where else to put it. Stumbled across this while doing some research for cheap Bordeaux on Barton & Guestier's website "The company's products a wide variety of delicious blame" http://winestyleonline.com/products/Bar ... c-AOC.html.
Justin
ITB - retail
suburban DC

JIMCOH
GCC Member
GCC Member

Barton & Guestier funny

#1684 Post by JIMCOH » November 27th, 2015, 5:19 am

justinmcinerny wrote:Didn't happen on a Saturday in a store but it's funny (or so I think) and did not know where else to put it. Stumbled across this while doing some research for cheap Bordeaux on Barton & Guestier's website "The company's products a wide variety of delicious blame" http://winestyleonline.com/products/Bar ... c-AOC.html.
Russian doesn't always translate literally into English. [berserker.gif]
Jim Cohen

D@v!d P@rt@!n

#1685 Post by D@v!d P@rt@!n » December 6th, 2015, 8:20 am

Quote from a really good, but high maintenance, customer who spends five figures on wine yearly at my place of employment. "Soon as I put the corkscrew in this bottle I knew it was ruined. You know, you can just tell by the way it feels, plus there is some discoloration there. I didn't even bother pulling the cork all the way out. I know it's gone bad. Can I exchange this for something else?" The bottle in question is a 2011 Thivin Bojo which I opened later and it was delish. [wow.gif]

Bruce Leiser_owitz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1686 Post by Bruce Leiser_owitz » December 6th, 2015, 10:52 am

D@v!d P@rt@!n wrote:Quote from a really good, but high maintenance, customer who spends five figures on wine yearly at my place of employment. "Soon as I put the corkscrew in this bottle I knew it was ruined. You know, you can just tell by the way it feels, plus there is some discoloration there. I didn't even bother pulling the cork all the way out. I know it's gone bad. Can I exchange this for something else?" The bottle in question is a 2011 Thivin Bojo which I opened later and it was delish. [wow.gif]
Cork discoloration in a bottle of red wine is a well-known flaw!

Bruce
"Bruce you are correct."--Andrew Kaufman, 3/24/13.

D@v!d P@rt@!n

#1687 Post by D@v!d P@rt@!n » December 6th, 2015, 11:55 am

Bruce Leiser_owitz wrote:Cork discoloration in a bottle of red wine is a well-known flaw!

Bruce
And when combined with a wonky corkscrew to cork feel the wine is most certainly doomed! neener

Richard Leland

#1688 Post by Richard Leland » December 7th, 2015, 5:09 pm

D@v!d P@rt@!n wrote:Quote from a really good, but high maintenance, customer who spends five figures on wine yearly at my place of employment.
You know the expression "The customer is always right"? That customer is.
Richard

Bruce Leiser_owitz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1689 Post by Bruce Leiser_owitz » December 8th, 2015, 9:14 am

Richard Leland wrote:
D@v!d P@rt@!n wrote:Quote from a really good, but high maintenance, customer who spends five figures on wine yearly at my place of employment.
You know the expression "The customer is always right"? That customer is.
Particularly when the allegedly defective wine is a Beaujolais; you eat that one every time.

Bruce
"Bruce you are correct."--Andrew Kaufman, 3/24/13.

Brent C l a y t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1690 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » December 13th, 2015, 3:25 pm

Today was a classic. Our entire front window display is whiskey, we have a dozen or so single malts and another dozen American whiskeys in the window.

"Excuse me sir, how much is that single malt in the window?" [head-bang.gif]
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1691 Post by George Chadwick » December 15th, 2015, 12:49 pm

Brent C l a y t o n wrote:Today was a classic. Our entire front window display is whiskey, we have a dozen or so single malts and another dozen American whiskeys in the window.

"Excuse me sir, how much is that single malt in the window?" [head-bang.gif]
"..the one with the waggly tail?
How much is that single malt in the window?
I do hope that single malt is for sale
I must take a trip to California
And leave my poor sweetheart alone
If she has a single malt, she won't be lonesome
And the single malt will have a good home..."

jcoley3
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1692 Post by jcoley3 » December 15th, 2015, 2:48 pm

That day where someone gets mad at you because there isn't a more expensive White Zinfandel option for their gifting purposes.
Jim Coley ITB

Brent C l a y t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1693 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » December 15th, 2015, 7:30 pm

No Mr. Vespa scooter man, I do not sell any (air quotes) 'orange wine' here.
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1694 Post by Mike Evans » December 16th, 2015, 5:15 am

Brent C l a y t o n wrote:No Mr. Vespa scooter man, I do not sell any (air quotes) 'orange wine' here.
I'd associate a much more amusing mental image with this story if he was riding a Harley.

Edward H. Earles

#1695 Post by Edward H. Earles » December 16th, 2015, 8:12 am

Mike Evans wrote:
Brent C l a y t o n wrote:No Mr. Vespa scooter man, I do not sell any (air quotes) 'orange wine' here.
I'd associate a much more amusing mental image with this story if he was riding a Harley.
I'd associate a much more amusing mental image with this story if he was riding a yak.

Edward H. Earles

#1696 Post by Edward H. Earles » December 16th, 2015, 8:14 am

Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1697 Post by Michel Abood » December 19th, 2015, 7:09 am

So Nick from Jenny & Francois was trolling you? [wow.gif]

At an in-store last night, I was pouring our farmer Champagne and several other wines. When pouring, I specifically said all the wines in front of me were from France. First question from a guy who looked like he drank more hard stuff than wine: "What country is this Champagne from?" Next question: "Do they also make this from grapes?"

The store owner had to run to the back so no one would see him laughing.
Guess what? I'm ITB-> Vinotas Selections

David Lopez

#1698 Post by David Lopez » December 20th, 2015, 11:34 pm

I worked at a liquor store where the manager had rivalry with the manager of another liquor store in the same shopping centre. This manager guy was a classic sociopath and was always trying to talk me into doing some kind of crime job with him. Working with him was a bit like that movie Training Day.

Anyway, this manager was close to leaving the business and decided to write a fake complaint letter against the other store manager. Before posting it in the mailbox immediately outside the store he managed, he read out his fake letter to me. It basically said the he was in the store with his family and after rudely dismissing him for not having what he wanted, the other store manager was written as calling him a "f*cking black c*nt".

For some reason, the guy was immediately suspected and questioned by upper management, but they couldn't pin it on him.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1699 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » December 23rd, 2015, 3:07 pm

D@v!d P@rt@!n wrote:Quote from a really good, but high maintenance, customer who spends five figures on wine yearly at my place of employment. "Soon as I put the corkscrew in this bottle I knew it was ruined. You know, you can just tell by the way it feels, plus there is some discoloration there. I didn't even bother pulling the cork all the way out. I know it's gone bad. Can I exchange this for something else?" The bottle in question is a 2011 Thivin Bojo which I opened later and it was delish. [wow.gif]
For $50k a year in sales, no problem!
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

jcoley3
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1700 Post by jcoley3 » December 31st, 2015, 11:02 am

"I'm allergic to the sulfites in Moscato..."
Jim Coley ITB

Return to “Wine Pimps”