More Saturday Retail Funnies

A forum for and about wine retailing. Consumer questions, retailer rants, etc. All are welcome to post
Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1601 Post by Michel Abood » January 2nd, 2015, 9:23 am

Love both those signs.
Guess what? I'm ITB-> Vinotas Selections

andyrose

#1602 Post by andyrose » January 9th, 2015, 8:02 am

The other day had a customer ask if the numbers on the shelf under the beers were the prices. Obviously she'd never shopped anywhere before!
ITB retail.

T Hogan

#1603 Post by T Hogan » January 21st, 2015, 3:56 pm

Good Lord it's been far too long since I've shared any stories.

Heard this during the holiday's at a retail store/my former place of employment:
(I changed the names for the sake of anonymity)

Paul: George, you're an OG! You have OG status! Anyone who drinks Krug as a roadie (road soda) is an OG!

George: What can I say? Krug and fritos on the way home. What a pairing.

Ringo: HA! What kind of fritos? Chili Cheese?

George: No man, honey BBQ. Come on, I thought you knew about food and wine pairing!
Tiern@n Hogan - ITB

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1604 Post by David Glasser » February 14th, 2015, 11:27 am

Steve Manzi wrote: As I was reading this story, I couldn't help thinking that Dave Janelle was the guy who sent you to this place. South Jersey and Philly wine guys would surely remember Dave. I could not get the image of Dave sending someone, as a joke, to a place like this one. I miss Dave. And anyone who knows him, remembers his sense of humor. Ever try Deer Dick wine?? Unfortunately, I have. Curtesy of Dave Janelle. flirtysmile
I do remember Dave Janelle. And the Chinese(?) deer dick wine story. Fortunately, I only read about it.

Steve Manzi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1605 Post by Steve Manzi » February 14th, 2015, 3:08 pm

David Glasser wrote:
Steve Manzi wrote: As I was reading this story, I couldn't help thinking that Dave Janelle was the guy who sent you to this place. South Jersey and Philly wine guys would surely remember Dave. I could not get the image of Dave sending someone, as a joke, to a place like this one. I miss Dave. And anyone who knows him, remembers his sense of humor. Ever try Deer Dick wine?? Unfortunately, I have. Curtesy of Dave Janelle. flirtysmile
I do remember Dave Janelle. And the Chinese(?) deer dick wine story. Fortunately, I only read about it.
OOOoooo, you are luckEEE. And since you know Dave, you know the sly smile that would just take over his face when you did drink it. What a great guy he was....well is, I hope. His get togethers, which I only was able to ever attend two of them, were SO much fun. I hope he is doing well.

That deer dick stuff was absolutely vile. But Dave sure did love serving it. champagne.gif

"The ignorance of one voter in a Democracy impairs the security of all" ~ John F. Kennedy

Brent C l a y t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1606 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » May 16th, 2015, 8:22 pm

Customer: "I really need to find some Pappy Van Winkle!"

Me: "I bet you do..."

Customer: "Do you know how I can get my hands on some???"

Me: "Wish upon a falling star?" *shrug*

[berserker.gif]
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

Peter Tryba

#1607 Post by Peter Tryba » May 16th, 2015, 10:39 pm

Every. Day.
ITB
kidney fund: youcaring.com

Drew Goin

#1608 Post by Drew Goin » May 17th, 2015, 7:18 am

Thomas Jane came in the shop I worked at years ago, along with what I guess to be his manager or assistant. The actor bought a couple of Bordeaux wines and left, and his companion asked us if we recognized him. I said, "Yeah, he was in 'The Core'" (Aaron Eckhart).

Doug Schulman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1609 Post by Doug Schulman » May 17th, 2015, 10:50 am

Some guy I've never heard of has someone follow him around and point out that the former is "famous"? That's hilarious.

5 bucks says he's used the "do you know who I am?!?" line.
ITB - retail sales and education

Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1610 Post by Michel Abood » May 18th, 2015, 2:42 pm

Peter Tryba wrote:Every. Day.
Next time I'm in MA I'm punking you for some Pappy. [snort.gif]

Thomas Concilio

#1611 Post by Thomas Concilio » May 22nd, 2015, 8:09 am

Brent C l a y t o n wrote:Customer: "I really need to find some Pappy Van Winkle!"

Me: "I bet you do..."

Customer: "Do you know how I can get my hands on some???"

Me: "Wish upon a falling star?" *shrug*

[berserker.gif]
I get that at least every other week. Here in GA its only released sometime in November. So a "customer" i've never seen before walks in and asks for some Pappy. I tell him it's not available and good luck trying to fine it. Snobbishly his response is "Oh I'll find it" and walks out. I guess for many times over retail, maybe. But those bottles have long been gone.

Not sure how others do it, but I get so little that I reserve them for my long standing good customers. They never see a shelf.

Been chuckling about that for a little while. Sigh..........
ITB - Retail

Chris Blum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1612 Post by Chris Blum » May 22nd, 2015, 8:19 am

Drew Goin wrote:Thomas Jane came in the shop I worked at years ago, along with what I guess to be his manager or assistant. The actor bought a couple of Bordeaux wines and left, and his companion asked us if we recognized him. I said, "Yeah, he was in 'The Core'" (Aaron Eckhart).
I had to google the guy, so hat's off to you for the pull.

You should have said "Yeah, wasn't he Patricia Arquette's ex?"
"Well, wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit" -- Lucille Bluth
"The Packers f'n suck" -- Todd French

Peter Tryba

#1613 Post by Peter Tryba » May 22nd, 2015, 12:27 pm

My latest response to Pappy requests:
"Oh, sorry, we're out. Would you like me to add you to our waiting list?"
"Ya!"
"Ok (pretends to pull up spreadsheet on computer), you are number 1208. So, that's anywhere from 30 to 50 years. Do you have an email or phone number that will be in service then?"
ITB

Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1614 Post by Michel Abood » May 22nd, 2015, 2:41 pm

Love it.

jcoley3
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1615 Post by jcoley3 » May 25th, 2015, 10:46 am

I feel like I get this one every couple of weeks. Customer comes in and asks for a sweet wine.

"I'm looking for something sweet."

For whatever reason, they will reiterate at least half a dozen times in at least half a dozen ways their need for the wine they get to be sweet. I will pull them over to a wine that says "sweet" on the label. Invariably, I will be asked:

"Yes, but is it sweet?" [scratch.gif]
Jim Coley ITB

"So I say, like Ortega y Gasset, that when a lot of people agree on something, it's either a stupid idea or a beautiful woman." - Alvaro Mutis

"You could spend a lot more money, and not get a better Burgundy...” - Carlo Rossi

NWeiss

#1616 Post by NWeiss » May 25th, 2015, 11:37 am

D@v!d P@rt@!n wrote:A gentleman approaches me, asks "Do you have Moet Nectar Imperial from France. Not that California crap." So I show him the Moet Nectar Imperial. He says "That's the California crap. The French Moet does not say Chandon on the bottle!" I reply trying to be very modest and polite, Sir, this is Moet from Champagne in France. It states Product of France right here on the label. I'm sure this is the one made in France." Customer, "No it's not. That's the California crap." Stomps away. [scratch.gif]
I actually refer people to California Chandon quite often, IMO the Brut is one of the best in its price range when it's 15-16 a bottle.

NWeiss

#1617 Post by NWeiss » May 25th, 2015, 11:56 am

I have a couple to share:

I had a lady come to me once, late middle aged, asking, " do any of that wine called kardonay with fruit in it?" I responded, "I'm not sure I've heard of a type called kardonay, are you maybe referring to sangria? She says, "nope, I know it's a kardonay with a picture of fruit on the front, I think a peach." I then guide her to the fruit type wines. She points to a bottle shelf. I say "oh, Arbor Mist Peach Chardonnay? She says "I've never heard it called chardonnay before."

Another great one.
So I have a customer looking for what they say is a red french wine. I ask, "what region is it from?" They say "I think it was called Chillable." So I walk them to our french wine section, thinking they might mean Chablis. They say "these bottles are way to small, this isn't the stuff we're looking for." I ask, "what format does it come in?" They say "It comes in one of those big white boxes." Then it clicked, I led them to Franzia Chillable Red.

Thomas Keim
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1618 Post by Thomas Keim » May 28th, 2015, 10:13 am

NWeiss wrote:I have a couple to share:

I had a lady come to me once, late middle aged, asking, " do any of that wine called kardonay with fruit in it?" I responded, "I'm not sure I've heard of a type called kardonay, are you maybe referring to sangria? She says, "nope, I know it's a kardonay with a picture of fruit on the front, I think a peach." I then guide her to the fruit type wines. She points to a bottle shelf. I say "oh, Arbor Mist Peach Chardonnay? She says "I've never heard it called chardonnay before."
I had a British chef working for me once in a deli/wine shop environment back in the late 80s in Orlando Florida, and he didn't have much wine experience at all, but could he sell. He pronounced Chardonnay "kardonay" and just filled up shopping baskets one right after the other, butchering names like I hadn't heard before or since. He was a very handsome, dashing, charming man and the women just lined up to see him. I would plead with some of the customers (...well, I am the buyer and manager, and I do know a little about the wines here..." to no Avail - they wanted the British Chef -
ITB - The Yoerg Brewing Company

"What if I fall?" "Oh, but my darling, what if you fly?"

Olivier Landry

#1619 Post by Olivier Landry » May 28th, 2015, 1:35 pm

Thomas Keim wrote:I had a British chef working for me once in a deli/wine shop environment back in the late 80s in Orlando Florida, and he didn't have much wine experience at all, but could he sell. He pronounced Chardonnay "kardonay" and just filled up shopping baskets one right after the other, butchering names like I hadn't heard before or since. He was a very handsome, dashing, charming man and the women just lined up to see him. I would plead with some of the customers (...well, I am the buyer and manager, and I do know a little about the wines here..." to no Avail - they wanted the British Chef -
Basically the same story here, I used to manage a store where a retired insurance salesman was working for fun and customers would line up to have him sell them wine while he would butcher names, invent stories and just say a bunch of stuff that was wrong; basically he would sell wine like he used to sell insurance. I couldn't be of service to any of his customers even though I was the manager/resident wine geek, they would only ask for him. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Used to be ITB (2007-2015).

Bruce Leiser_owitz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1620 Post by Bruce Leiser_owitz » May 29th, 2015, 8:46 am

Thomas Keim wrote: I had a British chef working for me once in a deli/wine shop environment back in the late 80s in Orlando Florida, and he didn't have much wine experience at all, but could he sell. He pronounced Chardonnay "kardonay" and just filled up shopping baskets one right after the other, butchering names like I hadn't heard before or since. He was a very handsome, dashing, charming man and the women just lined up to see him. I would plead with some of the customers (...well, I am the buyer and manager, and I do know a little about the wines here..." to no Avail - they wanted the British Chef -
You should have worked on your accent.

Bruce
"Bruce you are correct."--Andrew Kaufman, 3/24/13.

Edward H. Earles

#1621 Post by Edward H. Earles » June 5th, 2015, 5:22 am

jcoley3 wrote:I feel like I get this one every couple of weeks. Customer comes in and asks for a sweet wine.

For whatever reason, they will reiterate at least half a dozen times in at least half a dozen ways their need for the wine they get to be sweet. I will pull them over to a wine that says "sweet" on the label. Invariably, I will be asked:

Our Cambodian neighbors have big feasts periodically, with fabulous food, and invite us over. They like sweet wine, and buy stuff like Sutter Home Sweet Red by the case. I've tried to introduce them to dry wines, to no avail; they made horrible grimaces after trying anything I brought. Finally one evening I brought over a Pedro Ximenez. They liked that one.

Once they poured some Cambodian wine for me (yes, there is wine made in Cambodia). It tasted exactly like Manischewitz.

Thomas Keim
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1622 Post by Thomas Keim » June 6th, 2015, 12:00 pm

What is up with wholesalers not having catalogs anymore?

I am consulting for a local wine retailer who has his store up for sale and just recently let go of his store manager. So I am putting his store back together after two god-awful store managers over the last couple of years ran it into the ground. So I am meeting with all the local wholesalers, finding out who has what - and the two biggest wholesalers (Southern & Johnson Brothers) don't have catalogs.

When I asked them for a catalog, they answered "Just tell me what you want and I will look it up on the computer..."

Ok, how am I going to know what I want if I don't know what you have?

When I asked the Southern salesperson about an updated catalog (the store had one from 2013) she said they never had a catalog since she has been there. Then, literally asked me if she could have the old catalog so she could find out what all they have.

Really?

I mean, Really?

I was told by other wholesalers (that do have catalogs) that both of the large companies are very secretive over what they have, and don't want anybody else to see their pricing structures.

Really?

I mean, Really?

Robert Pollard-Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1623 Post by Robert Pollard-Smith » June 6th, 2015, 3:34 pm

Not only does Southern lack catalogs in the Chicago area, but they lack drivers for their trucks. Management has been asking sales and administrative folks for volunteers to deliver merchandise.
He's like a star on a foggy morning
When you think he's near, he's far away

Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1624 Post by Michel Abood » June 6th, 2015, 4:56 pm

Just look them up on Sevenfifty.com, assuming the local wholesaler is on that site. The flip side of course is stores that insist you drop off your Book when they can just as easily look it up on the site (which I believe is free for on/off-premise accounts). Better yet, I can email my Book to you.

But no, tons of people still ask me to drop off my catalog. Oy vey.

NWeiss

#1625 Post by NWeiss » June 6th, 2015, 5:25 pm

Robert Pollard-Smith wrote:Not only does Southern lack catalogs in the Chicago area, but they lack drivers for their trucks. Management has been asking sales and administrative folks for volunteers to deliver merchandise.
Since I started working wine and spirits and we started Kroger central warehousing of wine, we've had extremely poor representation from Southern. They go through reps about once every six months, and between the reps the district manager "fills in." I have to call if I want a product that's not in our warehouse, and often times they'll forget to order it anyway if I ask. Ironically they still get paid commission based on what I order and what moves through our warehouse to the store, but they perform zero labor to receive it. The suppliers haven't really caught up to the new way we do things.

Fortunately all of the big sellers under $20 are in our warehouse. Central warehousing of wine and liquor is incredible, I could never go back to having to rely on sales reps to order product. We have set load schedules every week except for Thanksgiving and Christmas, no split case fees, and almost complete control over inventory levels.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1626 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » June 12th, 2015, 12:09 am

jcoley3 wrote:I feel like I get this one every couple of weeks. Customer comes in and asks for a sweet wine.

That's when it's time to respond with, "No. You didn't want a sweet wine, did you?!?"

... some people just don't "get it" until you're just as ridiculous with them as they've been with you.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

John O'
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1627 Post by John O' » June 12th, 2015, 3:53 am

When I was growing up our Family had a liquor store in Queens. The period between Thanksgiving and New Years is like the gold rush. Non-stop. On New Years Eve we would have the Italian place across the street cater food in and pop some Dom Perignon. The owner, Felix always came over and celebrated a bit with us. Never met the wife who toiled in the kitchen.
Years later I learned that the couple had split up and the wife was making a name for herself in Manhattan. Didn't know we had Lidia Bastianich making those baked clams, but I did know they were awfully good.
O Sullivan

Ken V
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1628 Post by Ken V » June 13th, 2015, 7:24 am

John O' wrote:When I was growing up our Family had a liquor store in Queens. The period between Thanksgiving and New Years is like the gold rush. Non-stop. On New Years Eve we would have the Italian place across the street cater food in and pop some Dom Perignon. The owner, Felix always came over and celebrated a bit with us. Never met the wife who toiled in the kitchen.
Years later I learned that the couple had split up and the wife was making a name for herself in Manhattan. Didn't know we had Lidia Bastianich making those baked clams, but I did know they were awfully good.
Very cool. Was this Buonavia or Villa Secondo?
Ken V @ s t o l @
The Fine Wine Geek
Click on the W W W button under my name to see my website.
"Don't be meek, embrace the geek." -Terry Theise
Twitter: @FineWineGeek

Scott Butler

#1629 Post by Scott Butler » June 17th, 2015, 6:37 am

NWeiss wrote: Another great one.
So I have a customer looking for what they say is a red french wine. I ask, "what region is it from?" They say "I think it was called Chillable." So I walk them to our french wine section, thinking they might mean Chablis. They say "these bottles are way to small, this isn't the stuff we're looking for." I ask, "what format does it come in?" They say "It comes in one of those big white boxes." Then it clicked, I led them to Franzia Chillable Red.

Franzia, France, they must be one and the same, right?
WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan

John O'
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1630 Post by John O' » June 18th, 2015, 4:14 am

Ken V wrote:
John O' wrote:When I was growing up our Family had a liquor store in Queens. The period between Thanksgiving and New Years is like the gold rush. Non-stop. On New Years Eve we would have the Italian place across the street cater food in and pop some Dom Perignon. The owner, Felix always came over and celebrated a bit with us. Never met the wife who toiled in the kitchen.
Very cool. Was this Buonavia or Villa Secondo?
Villa Secondo
O Sullivan

Peter Tryba

#1631 Post by Peter Tryba » June 23rd, 2015, 11:03 am

A woman came in with a Coravin complaint.
Her needle broke while accessing a bottle. The bottle had a metal screwcap...
ITB

Ken V
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1632 Post by Ken V » June 23rd, 2015, 6:58 pm

Peter Tryba wrote:A woman came in with a Coravin complaint.
Her needle broke while accessing a bottle. The bottle had a metal screwcap...
LOL!

And I thought this was just a joke:
Ken V @ s t o l @
The Fine Wine Geek
Click on the W W W button under my name to see my website.
"Don't be meek, embrace the geek." -Terry Theise
Twitter: @FineWineGeek

JPWilley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1633 Post by JPWilley » June 24th, 2015, 5:45 am

I did that as a joke to a friend once at a party - I handed him a corkscrew and a bottle with a Stelvin. After about 15 seconds of struggling to insert the tip of the screw and a look of "what the hell is going on?" on his face, he finally figured it out. Best laugh I've had in years.
Skewing old
Joe

Edward H. Earles

#1634 Post by Edward H. Earles » June 24th, 2015, 7:24 am

I'm very far-sighted, and have poor eyesight close up, when I'm not wearing my glasses. I did that one time because I couldn't see that the bottle had a screw-top.

Thomas Keim
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1635 Post by Thomas Keim » June 30th, 2015, 10:39 am

Bought a new car - took a little drive on Sunday to Lake Pepin in Southern Minnesota. Thought we would visit some of the new breweries down there that have opened as well as a couple of wineries close to the lake.

There is one very elaborate winery off the lake called VILLA BELLEZZA. Italian styled chateau, producing wines from local non-vinifera fruit. Really a gorgeous spot - http://www.villabellezza.com/

So we walked into their tasting room to try a few things and lo and behold, most of the staff were behind the tasting bar -

Poured the first wine -

2012 COTES DU PEPIN RED

This was very nice - well rounded, very well balanced with nice fruit - so I asked -

"What is in this?" "It's very nice..."

We can't tell you... It's a secret recipe...

"What do you mean you can't tell me?"

The owner is very secretive of his recipes and blends, and other wineries sneak in and steal our recipes, so we don't disclose our blends...

"Really?" "And you think that is good business?"

Why yes, everyone does it, you go out to the best wineries in California or France and they NEVER release their recipes...

"Really?" "Who told you that?"

The owner has been to Europe sir, and he told us that...

"OOOOkay - what is next?"

Here is our 2014 Nouveau.

"I supposed I shouldn't ask what it's made of, but it's completely oxidized..."

No one like's this year's Nouveau, it's not as good as last years...

Well, maybe because it's completely oxidized..."

"What's next?"

Here is our 2011 Pepin Blanc... it's a blend...

"A blend of what? Oh, never mind..." It's also completely oxidized..."

It hasn't been real popular this year...

"Well, maybe because it's been dead for a couple years...."

Needless to say, it was quite interesting. I tried to explain to the management behind the bar that it takes more than just knowing what the blend is to duplicate it, and just because everyone knows Chateau Lafite's blend doesn't mean that everyone is going to make a Chateau Lafite facsimile. We finished with their 2012 Marquette that was also quite delicious (Marquette is a new grape just developed by the University of Minnesota that is really making some interesting wines around the Midwest).

So their wines were good - but with attitudes like that, they are going to turn off most serious wine drinkers. I just could not stop laughing after we got back into the car -

PeterJ

#1636 Post by PeterJ » June 30th, 2015, 6:25 pm

That's just really sad.
Peter J@ckel

Peter Kleban
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1637 Post by Peter Kleban » June 30th, 2015, 7:13 pm

Do I get this right, they are making wine with grapes grown in Minnesota (even southern Minnesota)? Hard to believe, given how cold the winters are out there (I lived in Minneapolis for a few years).
Bob Wood:
"Peter..your well-reasoned words were a waste of time."
WsOTY:
B Giacosa Roero Arneis '15
Patricia Green PN Estate Etzel Blk '13
Simon Bize Savigny-lès-Beaune Les Bourgeots '14
Rioja Alta Grn Res 904 '05
Patricia Green PN Dijon 115 Freedom Hill '15
Kenefick Cab S '03
Heidsieck Mono Blue Top Brut NV
Willi Schaefer Gr. Hreich Ausl #4 '15

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1638 Post by Craig G » June 30th, 2015, 8:57 pm

Here is an all-online funny: About a week ago I noticed that I had one item in my shopping cart at K&L. I wasn't intending to buy anything so I didn't check it. Today I went to buy some PYCM Bourgogne, and there in my cart was the magnum of 1983 Romanée Conti for $16,999! I swear I have no clue how it got there.

I have never ordered so carefully as today, though.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

jcoley3
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1639 Post by jcoley3 » July 1st, 2015, 10:21 pm

Random upsell. Guy passed on cheap Pinots for a Merry Edwards Coopersmith for an extra percentage point of alcohol on the label. Fuel for the IPOB controversy!
Jim Coley ITB

"So I say, like Ortega y Gasset, that when a lot of people agree on something, it's either a stupid idea or a beautiful woman." - Alvaro Mutis

"You could spend a lot more money, and not get a better Burgundy...” - Carlo Rossi

jcoley3
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1640 Post by jcoley3 » July 3rd, 2015, 2:49 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:

That's when it's time to respond with, "No. You didn't want a sweet wine, did you?!?"

... some people just don't "get it" until you're just as ridiculous with them as they've been with you.
I went through same exchange again today and finally asked the customer what it was that made them think I was lying when they asked me for a sweet wine and I showed them something that said SWEET WINE on it. Why would I lie? Why would someone make a fake label just to screw her into not getting the sweet wine she wants? I JUST WANT TO UNDERSTAND! [swearing.gif] [scratch.gif]
Jim Coley ITB

Andrew Hall
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1641 Post by Andrew Hall » July 3rd, 2015, 3:18 pm

jcoley3 wrote:
Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:

I went through same exchange again today and finally asked the customer what it was that made them think I was lying when they asked me for a sweet wine and I showed them something that said SWEET WINE on it. Why would I lie? Why would someone make a fake label just to screw her into not getting the sweet wine she wants? I JUST WANT TO UNDERSTAND! [swearing.gif] [scratch.gif]
I might have an answer, based on a conversation I had recently with a casual acquaintance : We (heavily into wine) often talk about wines like Apothic or KJ Chard has having sugar or being sweet. I am guessing that the level of sweetness we perceive (either innately or by exposure, I don't know) scales up faster. I would not be surprised if these customers feel they have been mislead by sales people and shelf talkers that often refer to 'sweet' and 'sweet fruit' when to the customer's perception and expectation of some really sweet. From their perspective, they have been lied to.
Andrew Hall (itb)

andrew @ cellartracker dot com

Roberto Rogness

#1642 Post by Roberto Rogness » July 3rd, 2015, 3:25 pm

Yes, if your reference point is Barefoot Moscato or Mogen David, then KJ or Meoimi are gonna be "sour"....
ITB Retail
É prohibido prohibir!

jcoley3
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1643 Post by jcoley3 » July 3rd, 2015, 3:45 pm

APOTHIC, KJ AND MEOMI DON'T SAY 'SWEET' ON THE LABEL! WHY? WHY WILL NO ONE BELIEVE ME?
Jim Coley ITB

jcoley3
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1644 Post by jcoley3 » July 3rd, 2015, 3:49 pm

[cheers.gif]

Bear in mind I'm often showing the customers in question local sweet red wines made from Concord, etc. We've got something for everyone!

You're both right, and I know this, it's just hit a point where I can see this exact interaction playing out to the same end as soon as it starts. It has the same feeling as when I pick up the phone and say, "This is Jim," and the person on the other end responds "Oh, is this Jim?"
Jim Coley ITB

Bruce Leiser_owitz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1645 Post by Bruce Leiser_owitz » July 5th, 2015, 5:48 am

jcoley3 wrote:[cheers.gif]

Bear in mind I'm often showing the customers in question local sweet red wines made from Concord, etc. We've got something for everyone!

You're both right, and I know this, it's just hit a point where I can see this exact interaction playing out to the same end as soon as it starts. It has the same feeling as when I pick up the phone and say, "This is Jim," and the person on the other end responds "Oh, is this Jim?"
Thread drift, but I can't tell you how many times I answer the phone with my name, and the person calling asks if they can speak to me........

Bruce

Peter Tryba

#1646 Post by Peter Tryba » July 6th, 2015, 2:36 pm

"I drank a friend's bottle of wine and want to replace it."

"Which wine?"

"Caymus 40th Anniversary"

"OK, we have the liter bottle (shows him)."

"What? I thought it was, like, ten bucks!?! I'm not paying that!"

The "friend" was standing right there the whole time.
ITB

Bruce Leiser_owitz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1647 Post by Bruce Leiser_owitz » July 6th, 2015, 3:58 pm

Peter Tryba wrote:"I drank a friend's bottle of wine and want to replace it."

"Which wine?"

Classy! [snort.gif]

Bruce

Chuck Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1648 Post by Chuck Miller » July 6th, 2015, 8:29 pm

Having had the wine, the friend should have paid $10 to the guy who drank it for getting it out of his cellar!
Chuck Miller
Seattle Wine Storage

Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1649 Post by Michel Abood » July 7th, 2015, 6:44 am

"Which wine?"

You stay classy Bahston!

Jorge Henriquez
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#1650 Post by Jorge Henriquez » July 7th, 2015, 7:03 am

Michel Abood wrote:

"Which wine?"

You stay classy Bahston!
There's a reason this happened: https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/2 ... story.html
Cohort Numero Uno!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

Return to “Wine Pimps”