Looking for a MS or Advanced Levels on the board

As well all know Im traveling down the Court of Master Sommelier path…I’m looking to see if we have any members on the board that are in the Advanced level of the program or a Master Sommelier. I live in Orange County and would love to have a mentor help me along the way.

Hi Chris,

I passed the Advanced in Chicago '09 and am sitting the for the MS next month (I know, get off Berserkers and get back to studying). While this is a great source of info it’s more of a collectors board and you won’t find a lot of stuff that’s useful for Court programs. Nothing wrong with that, just a different perspective. If you aren’t already on it, join the Guild of Sommeliers ASAP (http://www.guildsomm.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). That’s the place to rub elbows/match wits with Masters and wannabees and it’s the best source of study material anywhere.

Since you’re in OC, I recommend you get to know Jesse Rodriguez at Addison. He’s a fantastic guy working toward the MS and should be able to help you a lot. If you can, try to get into his tasting group.

What level are you currently? Are you currently on the floor of a restaurant? Feel free to bounce questions off me at will. One of the great things about the Court is the collegial atmosphere among somms and the willingness to help others along the path. We’ve all been there before and received help from those who have gone before us. It’s a great feeling to pay it forward to the next wave.

Hey Sott
I’m over on the Guild Site as well but for some reason i never get any hits on the boards. I’m currently an Into student going back for the Certified Exam (took it once already). I work as a bartender at a Rock and Roll Sushi place and its pathetic to what I’m learning. Most of the staff doesn’t know how to open a bottle of wine more less how to present it to the guest. The staff I work with has the mentality of this is an “in between” job and they dont care.

I will search out for Jesse at Addision. I need something more than what Im working with right now because it feels all the knowledge I learn goes in one ear and out the other since I don’t constantly use it. . I’ve been applying to wine bars and other places but theres no a lot out there right now :frowning:. I just graduated college too so I’m trying to either find an internship behind a Sommelier or an entry level F&B position to get use to the business so to say even though i do most of the mangers jobs at work anyways.

Any suggestions on getting into the actual sommelier position at my current state ?

I have an MS in Electrical Engineering. Let me know if there are any math questions I can help you with. [wink.gif]

Somm jobs are few and far between these days as restaurant owners don’t realize that it is beneficial to have a beverage professional in charge of 40% of their business. Instead they assign the task of re-ordering the Rombauer and Silver Oak to a manager who draws the short straw.

Fortunately, you have some good restaurants nearby and somms are more valued in California than elsewhere. You’ll probably need to seek out a server/barback/food runner position or whatever you can get at a place like Addison or Napa Rose to get in the door and work with someone like Jesse or Michael Jordan. If you can get into the Disney program you’re well on your way, they’re great at training. Even working in a steak house like Morton’s or Sullivan’s would be good as you’ll be in a wine friendly environment. Once you get in you’ll be in an situation where you can learn and progress. From there it’s up to your enthusiasm and effort to help you advance quickly. Be available to help with inventory and try to sit in on tastings. The good news is that good somms are rare and you can progress quickly.

I don’t know as many people there as I do in NoCal but there are quite a few somms they’re just spread out more than say SF or Napa. Talk to your distributor reps and see if they know of any openings. They are usually very plugged in.

Regarding the Certified, there are lots of people studying on the Guild and you should be able to build a network there. Practice opening cheap bubbly and carrying a tray full of flutes and you should be fine. Everything else you need is in the study guides and wikis. Good luck.

Cheers Scott

Regarding the Certified Exam I have been able pass everything with expections to the tasting portion. My goal this time around is to receive “excellent marks” in most portions.
I will keep in touch with you over the next month or so to let you know how it goes. Thank you for the kind recommendations.

Though not the cushy route- If you want to work as or behind a somm, get a job (in any capacity- dishwasher if need be) at a restaurant with a strong wine program and a potential mentor- Volunteer to help put away wine when you aren’t doing your main job. A lot of well known somms started at the absolute bottom. I’d also spend every second you can reading, tasting, and reading some more. Certification is great, but most will see experience as a greater.

And a 2nd that Jesse at the Addison rocks.

Funny thing is that I dine at Addison a few times a year, from just about when they opened up, yet I never met Somm Jesse. Not that I am the kind of customer who would drop $500-$1000 for a bottle of wine. But this is the place I bring my best bottles, as the food is exceptional.

Chris, I would seriously look into other places to work. There are many restaurants/wine bars in San Diego that would give you much more opportunities to get to taste numerous wines. Also look into wine shop jobs, I know they taste a ton of wines. Sure you won’t get to taste many older wines, unless it’s a private cellar sell, but the variety of new wines should help you a great deal.

Could have sworn you were only BS… neener

And I have both a BM and MM. Let me know if you need any help with defecation issues or early Romantic period performance practice in England.

I think you may have answered your own question. If you bring your own wine I would imagine you would be a low priority for the somm. He was probably busy doing his job engaging with guests who were actually buying wine. You don’t need to drop $500 but you do need to participate in the beverage aspect of dining. Most somms enjoy the challenge of finding great wines to fit any price range and stash wines on the list just for that purpose. With a Grand Award list, I’m sure Jesse has a ton of under the radar gems.

Next time, leave the wine in your cellar and ask for Jesse to hook you up. I’m sure he knows his food better than you do and has just the right wines to make the menu really shine. It might be an enlightening experience. A great somm can be nearly as valuable as a great chef.

A side-note and not wine-related… but something you might want to look into, is The Bartenders Cabinet. It’s a group for… (you guessed it) Bartenders, and other itbers and enthusiasts who want to increase their knowledge in Spirits. They meet once a month in OC for product education, each time with a different Spirit where you try various drinks made from the featured product. The group is free and great for networking. Here is the link for more info. http://bartenderscabinet.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you’re closer to LA, there is a similar group called, The Sporting Life. The guy who runs it, Marcos Tello, is a fountain of knowledge and very cool to boot.

Cheers,

I’ve only had dinner there once with the san diego crew and the wine service by Jesse was exceptional. We brought all our own wine, but it certainly doesn’t hurt that some of the guys were friends with him.

And that’s no BS! [wink.gif]

Absolutely true!!! I got a BA in Math. So I have an MS and a PhD, but no BS! [bow.gif]

Scott,

Your reply to Otto comes off as very pretentious, and I hope you are not advocating that a Somm would not take care of a customer just because they did BYO. That goes against everything the Court is about, customer service. I hope I am just reading the tone wrong as that would be very disappointing.

Kris

“here’s to the friends we made, at dear old RPI” heard round the Houston rink…

'78 BSEE followed by many years wandering in wilderness, UNH MSEE & MBA on road to
San Martin DILLIGAF