2008 Domaine Tempier Bandol Rose

Here in Portland I’m being asked to pay 30.00 a bottle wholesale for the honor of selling this wine. What is going on here? Each year it seems to creep up two dollars a bottle in price. It can’t all be because of the euro and exchange rate issues. As much as I love this wine, I can’t see selling it for 39.00 to 45.00 a bottle. Is this price consistent with what you are seeing in other parts of the country?

We do not sell it anymore. Only order on special request.

As of a week and a half ago the 07 Rose is 18 Euro retail price at the domaine. The 05 and 06 Bandol Rouge are 22 Euro.

It is expensive, getting awfully expensive for my blood, but I still don’t know of a Rose that I prefer, so I usually end up with 2-3 bottles / year, though $40+ for the 08 which isn’t a terribly strong vintage in Bandol might be an easy pass.

Mrs. McCall isn’t going to be happy about this one.

I’m okay with it. I mentioned in another thread that I cheaped out last summer and regretted it. It’s expensive, but I “buy” the argument that it’s reasonable for the most heralded rosé in the world to command $40. Hell, how many mediocre red wines exist at that price point?

What’s more interesting to me is that the price is rising at a time when many other wine prices are falling. Is this because they’ve priced it below what the market will support in the past, and they know it will still sell out? Or was this an error-- do you think it will sit on your shelves?

No, I don’t think it will languish on the shelves. And I think that eventually, after who knows how many years of two dollar a bottle increases, Kermit’s people will figure out where the public’s willingness to pay levels off. I just hope that point is in the very near future.

I loved the 2007 version and bought quite a lot and drank them all in relatively quickly. I couldn’t stop opening them - so often that my friends started teasing me that I must have bought into the producer. Well, now, my entire stash is gone, and there is no more to be had in the Philippines. I am now ordering some of the 2007 from US sources.

The fellow who distributes this in Manila is a good friend of mine and told me that he’ll have his '08 in by June. I’ll taste it first before buying. I’m sure to get some, but how many exactly will depend on how much I like it.

I’m with Melissa. $40 for the '07 I didn’t mind paying at all. In gross amounts, it was a small price to pay relative to the pleasure I derived from each and every bottle I opened.

N

Tasted from tank, I found the 08 Rose to be a good wine but a but not up to the level of the 05, 06 or 07… a bit dilute in comparison. Actually I think this could be a year for me to pass.

I suspect that with the prices escalating, the popularity of rose escalating and the great number of high quality Provencal roses in the $10-$20 US retail range, there will be new favorites that will emerge and wineries that will build bigger names for themselves in the states…

Josh

Certainly seems like an opportunity for other producers to take market share in that space. With Tempier asking (and getting) $40 retail, I’d argue that it provides an opening for competitors even above $20, say in the $25-30 range, which used to constitute the top of the market.

Agree 100%. If it’s a well made wine you enjoy immensly, price doesn’t seem to be an issue for those with a strong allegiance to a producer / wine . Doesn’t matter if it’s white, red or rose. Tempier has a stong following with a long history as well. Good for them.

Just saw some 07 for 35-38 here in ATL.

Hi, Michael. Thanks. Does the shop have a website I can order from?

The local distributor here said he has 6 bottles left of it set aside for me, so I have those to tide me over until I get some from the US.

Best,

N

Noel…Ive got an email out to the owner. No shipping out of the state of Georgia, and his site isnt quite up yet (only been open for 4 months or so). Im confirming what I saw in the email. I should know something by mid week and will keep you informed.

Vinfolio has it for $30.

http://www.vinfolio.com/do/winestore/detail/2008_Tempier_Bandol_Rose?vid=102412" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What Steve said.
I’ll buy La Bastide Blanche for about half that.

I’ll try not to notice that it’s not as good while I’m counting my change.

You shoulda seen the look on Steve’s face when he tasted the '08 Tempier last weekend, though. And he didn’t complain when I picked up four more… it was that good.

Tempier is a great wine year in and out, but I think the 07 beats the 08 up one side and down the other, no offense :slight_smile:

And, not trying to sound like a star fucker, but my better half and I were recently at the domain where we heard a similar opinion from Daniel Ravier…

I believe it… I just don’t know firsthand because I stupidly boycotted the '07 because of its price.

Doh!

I understand the pricing, it hurts. But, thinking about it, Tempier Rose is never a boner wine, it’s a best in class, and it’s $30-35. I have spent $75+ on red wines that turned out to suck balls more times than I can count. In that regard, Tempier rose is a pretty safe bet!

They’re selling the 2008 Tempier Rose for $32 a bottle out of the Kermit Lynch store. I bought two last Friday.