Retailers and Facebook mistakes

I had to defriend a retailer on Facebook recently, as this retailer made political statements that I just can’t support. This retailer was making the posts from their business name, not their personal account. I think it is idiotic for a business to make political statements, as it will likely lead to losing customers. This is a local place and I’d likely have given them some future business, but now will never walk in that place again.

Poppy,
I couldn’t agree more. Randy & I have had this conversation a few times. I try really hard to keep my views to myself because of being a business owner. It doesn’t take much to turn a customer away if you have differing opinions whether it be politics, religion or just daily living.

As Michael Jordan said, Republicans buy sneakers too.

Only the wingtip ones…

I have been thinking about this a lot lately. After posting a few things on my personal FB page that we’re shots at a certain side of the fence, I realized it just wasen’t worth it. Syrah is hard enough to sell! neener

I think expressing your views and opinions on your personal FB page is fine… but I certainly see having some reservations there. It’s the posting of political views and opinions on a business page that I think is a poor business decision. Not only was there a post stating a political opinion that I would guess a large part of the LA population would not agree with, but there was a post with disparaging remarks about law enforcement. Just a strange and stupid decision IMHO to do this from a business account.

[shock.gif] some people just can’t hold it back- poor decision, for sure.

I know how you feel, I had a friend that saved my life on two occasions, gave me business advice that resulted in a huge profit for me, introduced me to my wife, and he was the godfather to my son. He donates time and money to various causes and always helps folks in need.

But when I found out he voted for McCain, I went and poured roundup on his lawn, smashed his classic porsche 356 with a tire iron and sent various threatening emails to govt officials from his home computer.

I guess I really never knew him after all.

Annnd end scene.

I’m having a little fun with you, and I agree that businesses should not risk alienating customers with crazy talk, but I really think it’s too bad when folks can’t disagree and still be friends/customers. You are definitely in the majority in my experience, I just think we have a lot of polarization in this country and surrounding yourself with only folks who support your views is a real shame. Now I’ve not seen what store owner guy wrote so I’m just making a really broad statement based upon my experiences with some folks. Take care.

Chris,
There’s nothing wrong with having opposing views or beliefs, I have many friends and even family members that we don’t see eye to eye but if it’s something posted publicly for the world to see and the comments are offensive to someone it is entirely different.
IMO, that was more the issue.

I won’t print his post here, but it was more than a simple political statement. I have many friends (heck even my fiance) with very different political beliefs than my own… that’s not the problem. The post was disparaging to a group of people… I’ll just leave it at that. My post here was to point out an issue that may arise for ITB folks and the social media. I subscribe to a business Facebook page to get alerts about tastings, events, specials, etc., not to be informed about the owner’s views and beliefs about the world and politics.

Poppy I know who you are talking about now… I saw that the other day and thought it was a strange comment!

OMG it’s Todd isn’t it?!? Is he acting like a baby again?

Am I a retailer now? Awesome!

No…just a shill!

But with Berzerker tatt’s, shirts and wine check bags…what’s one to think?!?

If it was the LAPD that’s not hard to imagine, given their history. Portland hired a guy from the LAPD to be Chief of Police and before you could blink the department had issues with corruption and excessive use of force.

I really think we have to get a little less worked up about most political differences. I have pretty strong beliefs and can express them and argue them at length (great length) but I really don’t pick and choose friends because they have the same beliefs that I do. I have a business associate who disagrees with me (or I with him) on virtually every political issue. Yet that does not keep us from being very close. I have to keep remembering the things he has done to help me over the years and I think he feels the same way.

At some point, this country has to find ways to work together and not just be catagorized red or blue. In years gone by, the political parties made deals and worked with each other. We really have to get back to that.

Howard,
As I said previously in this thread, I have many friends and relatives with very different political beliefs from my own. I have no problem with that. The problem that I had was that this retailer made disparaging remarks against a group of people. I don’t think it is wise for a business owner to post his political beliefs from a business account… that’s all.

Howard, at least IMO you are making this a much broader issue than it is - no one could argue with your comments about the need for political parties to be less partisan, but that doesn’t negate Poppy’s simple comment that as a businessman, why would you ever take a chance on alienating potential customers?

I mean, I can buy my muscadet/red burgundy/barolo, etc. from any number of great, competitively-priced sources. If one of them suddenly decides to start proseletyzing me every time I click on his website, it would be very easy for me to replace that source of wine with another equally capable but far less polemic source - who needs the noise with their Nuits St. George?

And sandals too (I have about a dozen pairs). [stirthepothal.gif]

We have to ask politicians to leave our (grocery store) parking lot when the are clearly and actively campaigning. The vast majority understand when we tell them that we can’t be seen supporting either side. It is foolish to take political sides for most retailers as you’re likely to piss off some of your customer base. That’s just my opinion but there are also a lot of foolish people out there…

JD