valuation of collection for sale

New here. Basically have realized I will never drink all my wines and want to sell about half. Mostly old cabs and Bordeaux going back to early 90’s.
What is the best way to determine value?

thanks
Martin

Early-1990’s California reds should fetch a good bid. Try Winebid or Benchmark.

Recently came to a similar conclusion (smaller scale) and found new homes for about 150 bottles. WineBid process was super easy, they did all the work, really really enjoy the weekly direct deposits. AND I have redirected some of the $ into new more interesting wine purchases. Go for it!

1 Like

There are a number of outlets if the wine is in good condition. Chamber Street, Cellar Raiders as well as those mentioned.

It would also make sense to subscribe to Wine Market Journal for a month. You can get an idea of hammer prices from recent auctions.

I will also add Heritage Auctions. Sent them a list of wines, they sent me back a low/average/high estimate. After the sale, they were within a few dollars of the average. I was very happy.

What state do you live in?

Nearest big urban centers?

Wine Bid as previously mentioned. They provided an estimate with plenty of background data on each wine based on past auctions. I had a great experience with them.

1 Like

Wish I read this post earlier before I went to a local retailer for a direct sale. I got a bit too impatient and jumped the gun on selling. You live and you learn I guess

Highly recommend WineBid for sales of a collection. Painless, flawless working with Paola Feeley. No detail was overlooked. Her valuations were spot on.