Do you let your vendors post POS merchandising?

It happens all the time, especially in a store this size. Vendors put up point of sale merchandising with high scores and the vintage doesn’t correspond to what’s in the bin. Or worse yet, it’s not even the correct item.

I’d prefer that we didn’t let them post it at all, but it was allowed long before I got here and it seems low on the priority list.

Pretty much illegal in CA retail chain stores. Stores can be fined if they have misleading POS.

Think this is a decision between store and rep, and what makes the most sense for the store. With no policing, the rep will just go rampant and make anything up.

(disclaimer: my best POS was a handwritten sign saying “Take me home…I’m worth it. Trust me!”)

The POS you had hanging around your neck doesn’t count.

Why can’t you take them down if they are wrong, and/or put up your own POS?

Touche. I need to try that!

With one notable–and nonsensical–exception, we don’t allow POS shelf talkers from distributors. The exception, and I have no idea why, is Robert Hall Rhone de Robles. I don’t know how or why the distributor’s big tasting note got up there, but it did. I have to say, it has not promoted the sales of the wines.

We’ve noticed that New Jersey does things a lot differently than the rest of the US in this area. There is the appearance that NJ’s ABC controls the market, or is controlled by the distributors, (people with names ending in vowels if you get my meaning). The “distributor” puts what they want on the floor stack they “assign” to you. Oh, by the way, NO retailer outside NJ is allowed to sell or ship into NJ. Funny thing, all NJ retailers can ship whereever they want.

Just leave the POS tags on the boxes. You don’t want “THEM” finding out you removed the tags. [suicide.gif]

I do take them down if I see that they are outdated, incorrect, or even inappropriate for the shelf. Ex: An 8 1/2 x 11 full sheet page tacked to a shelf spot that completely covers the item below the one referred to in the POS.

Mr. Bowman, my last name ends in a vowel and I can assure you that not all of us are members of the bent nose gang. I do apologize for my state’s neanderthal shipping laws, at least we’re not Massachusetts!

[rofl.gif]

Floor stacks are put up by the vendors with the store manager’s permission, but we do acknowledge that one hand washes the other and my vendors work plenty hard for us during the busy periods.

I have worked in one big box store that forbids salespeople putting up POS, but I dare not speak the name lest I turn to stone.

[whistle.gif]

(disclaimer: my best POS was a handwritten sign saying “Take me home…I’m worth it. Trust me!”)

FWIW, we did bring a 2008 T-Bone home. It wasn’t corked but there was definitely something unique there. I’d say either you love it or you don’t.

neener

Oops, my bad attempt at humor. Apologies to all. And yes, your state isn’t as bad as Massachusetts or Utah.

No worries Randy. We’re laughing with you…

In a word…no…never havew and never will. How a vendor can do it, without the retailer wanting it, and having it continue, is beyond me. We have nearly 2000 selections of wine, no shelftalkers.

For once we agree. No shelftalkers either. I barely let vendors in my store anyway.

I need points guys, lots of points, lots of 96-100 scores and less than $20 prices! neener flirtysmile

Rate them yourself, you’re a professional.

example:

OD rating 98 points!!

Caveat: All ratings based on how much better this bottle of swill is, compared to that corked bottle in Sale Bin right by the front door.

It’s an old one but just for you neener

It’s like you’re following me around, Carrie! [swearing.gif] [tease.gif]

Was that Sierra Carche?

Well, that is because I taught you everything you know! neener