Wine stains on carpet

A forum for and about wine retailing. Consumer questions, retailer rants, etc. All are welcome to post
Post Reply
Message
Author
Kathie Smith
Posts: 1
Joined: April 22nd, 2019, 2:23 am

Wine stains on carpet

#1 Post by Kathie Smith » April 23rd, 2019, 2:26 am

Hello! Need help.
We smashed a bottle of wine and everything poured out on my dear grandmother's expensive carpet. Stains dried out and we forgot about this carpet for a whole month. How can I clean up these long dried spots? Please advise some good cleaner or cleaning company near Miami that you can trust.
Thank you!

User avatar
Victor Hong
Posts: 14060
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 1:34 pm

Re: Wine stains on carpet

#2 Post by Victor Hong » April 23rd, 2019, 4:46 am

Alcohol to dissolve. White vinegar to rinse.
WineHunter.

User avatar
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18761
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am
Location: Podunk CA

Re: Wine stains on carpet

#3 Post by Brian Tuite » April 23rd, 2019, 5:43 am

Trisodium Phoshate or TSP, rinse with water.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

User avatar
Mel Hill
Posts: 6142
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:56 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Wine stains on carpet

#4 Post by Mel Hill » April 23rd, 2019, 5:51 am

Rearrange the furniture, she might not notice.
Consider yourself written out of the will. [berserker.gif]

For fresh wine stains mix Dawn dish soap 50/50 with hydrogen peroxide and apply to the stain liberally
Blot the stain instead of rubbing it in to the carpet.

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6163
Joined: August 28th, 2010, 3:35 pm

Re: Wine stains on carpet

#5 Post by Michael Martin » April 23rd, 2019, 7:44 pm

D4974339-EAF9-4525-ADF9-0DDE46612C5E.jpeg
Best I’ve used. Even got nail polish out of a carpet.

User avatar
PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3228
Joined: May 14th, 2011, 3:06 pm

Re: Wine stains on carpet

#6 Post by PeterH » April 23rd, 2019, 8:33 pm

Mel Hill wrote:
April 23rd, 2019, 5:51 am
Rearrange the furniture, she might not notice.
Consider yourself written out of the will. [berserker.gif]

For fresh wine stains mix Dawn dish soap 50/50 with hydrogen peroxide and apply to the stain liberally
Blot the stain instead of rubbing it in to the carpet.

I wouldn't use H2O2 on any dark colored carpet. For fresh spills of red wine on a carpet, use soda water. Rinse, sop up and repeat until the stain is gone.

Too late for that in this case. What kind of carpet? Material? Color? Pattern?
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

User avatar
Mel Hill
Posts: 6142
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:56 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Wine stains on carpet

#7 Post by Mel Hill » April 23rd, 2019, 8:41 pm

Not sure I’d worry about a stain on dark colored carpet! But you are correct, I assumed it was a light colored carpet. As always, test any cleaning chemicals to make sure you won’t be creating a larger problem

User avatar
PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3228
Joined: May 14th, 2011, 3:06 pm

Re: Wine stains on carpet

#8 Post by PeterH » April 23rd, 2019, 8:58 pm

Mel Hill wrote:
April 23rd, 2019, 8:41 pm
Not sure I’d worry about a stain on dark colored carpet! But you are correct, I assumed it was a light colored carpet. As always, test any cleaning chemicals to make sure you won’t be creating a larger problem
Wine stains do still show on dark colored carpets, but then the cover and ignore advice might be best. Being of grandparent age, I know that my vision is not as acute as a young person's, and I tend to spend less time near carpet level (sadly).
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

NED VALOIS
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5516
Joined: March 7th, 2012, 9:47 am
Location: South Miami,Fl

Re: Wine stains on carpet

#9 Post by NED VALOIS » April 23rd, 2019, 9:26 pm

Kathie Smith wrote:
April 23rd, 2019, 2:26 am
Hello! Need help.
We smashed a bottle of wine and everything poured out on my dear grandmother's expensive carpet. Stains dried out and we forgot about this carpet for a whole month. How can I clean up these long dried spots? Please advise some good cleaner or cleaning company near Miami that you can trust.
Thank you!
Kathie,
I have a bunch of Persian carpets & the ONLY shop I trust is Baker Carpets for cleaning 8723 sw 132 street Miami 305 232 3368. Owner's name is Taee.
Good luck, Ned

User avatar
Victor Hong
Posts: 14060
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 1:34 pm

Re: Wine stains on carpet

#10 Post by Victor Hong » April 24th, 2019, 7:02 am

If you rent, rather than own, your nice carpets, wine stains are the problem of somebody else. (joke)
WineHunter.

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Pimps”