Our new Window Banner...

I’ll get a pic at night with the light shining through it later…

[rofl.gif] [dance-clap.gif] Bravo Roberto!!! Bravo!!! @–>----

Just for scale, each letter is a full 8 1/2 x 11 sheet so it’s about 6 feet tall…

That’s excellent!

Can you fill in those of us that are not ITB what you’re talking about.

Veuve, once a proud Pinot driven and quite mature product, has been turned out like a cheap hooker by the folks at LVMH. It is constantly getting reviews like this one yet, since they spend so much money advertising it, there is still a lot of demand. Sometimes you just have to do an intervention.

“The panel was struck by the general very high quality of the wines – the only one of the lot that impressed no one was a ringer, a non-vintage Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin Brut (not listed below because it’s not a grower Champagne). “Not as distinctive” was the way one taster described it. “Fizzy, in a cheap kind of way,” said another. The others had character galore, and were generally so likable that it was difficult to rank them. Prices are very reasonable for the quality. Grower-produced Champagnes are easy to spot but hard to find. Any Champagne whose name you don’t recognize is probably from a grower. Wine Expo in Santa Monica has by far the best selection in the area.” Patrick Comiskey in the Los Angeles Times, December 28, 2005

Here’s an interesting exchange that we reprinted on the back cover of our news letter in 2001:

Internet Funnies
The following exchange took place last month on one of the most fun wine discussion boards on the net (y’all come on over to http://www.wines.com/cgi-bin/uubcgi/Ultimate.cgi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and join the fun!):

“You guys are right again. NV Veuve Clicquot Champagne…YUK!!! Thin, diluted, no yeast flavors, no bread flavors tasted like sparkling lemon flavored water.” Drew from Maryland

“But, Drew, didn’t the sheer knowing that you were drinking the most highly promoted Champagne in the history of the world make up for all of that? And those orange labels are so…uh…what’s the word…ubiquitous!!! So, maybe I’m not John the Baptist screaming alone in the wilderness after all…” Roberto from WINE EXPO

“You’re both right on. We have a few bottles that we’ve now relegated to the role of mimosa ingredient.” Hotwine from Texas

“I went to a dinner the other night and was served the NV Veuve by my brother in law’s girlfriend. She expressed disappointment at it’s tart, light, lemoniness so I laid on her John’s Baptist gospel on LVMH, etc. She ate it up and started telling me about her group of champagne drinking friends back in Boulder who like the $30 bottle. . .she didn’t actually cry tears of joy when I gave her the Wine Expo catalogue, but it was a close call!” Dan in Colorado

“In the words of The King … ‘Thank you verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry Muuuuuuuuuch!’ PS: Today we are offering an extraordinary non dosage Champagne from Ambonnay (made by Alain Soutiran but labeled as Angeline Godel) for just $18.99 …" Roberto from WINE EXPO

Did you get LVMH to pay for your window display? pepsi

No, but I’m hoping to get it on at least ONE local TV news broadcast…

How about a picture of the sign with Kobe Bryant? Oh, that’s right. That wasn’t your store. neener

OK, how about a supermodel or p0rn star? flirtysmile

Maybe Marta, she lives and plays in LA now:

Now, I may be in the minority here, but I enjoy VC. Is it the best? hell no. Is it the best at its price point? hell no. Is it a consistent, widely distributed and recognized, acceptable quality for the price? Yes.

I don’t have any in my cellar, but do not hesitate to buy it if there are very few options.

“I don’t have any in my cellar, but do not hesitate to buy it if there are very few options.”

Here there are HUNDREDS of options…

I understand that, as well as I understand how this plays into your marketing/business plan - however, someone needs to defend the poor widow!

Re the widow, we always say “If she was alive today she’d be on death row 'cause she would kill the bastards using her likeness and quotes to sell something she would never condone (and probably with a pitchfork!)…”

That is incredibly insensitive of you. Many women turn to prostitution for a myriad reasons and yes, some at rather low price points. There is no need to insult them, though, by comparing them with Veuve.

“That is incredibly insensitive of you. Many women turn to prostitution for a myriad reasons and yes, some at rather low price points. There is no need to insult them, though, by comparing them with Veuve.”

My apologies to working girls everywhere. PS: I have often said that, in my long restaurant career, I met a lot of working girls and a lot of cops. While I respect and admire and NEED the cops, I think the working girls were a lot more honest.

He just needs a hat and a chalice, no?

Rick,

I’m guessing you haven’t tasted Veuve recently. It’s really gone downhill and isn’t nearly as good as it used to be. The vintage Veuve is okay and I still like La Grand Dame a lot, but the basic orange label stuff is pretty awful.

Richard

Customer told me that a competitor sent out an e-mail offering “manufacturer’s rebates” on Veuve Yellow Label.

Yes! Veuve has been offering a compounding mail-in rebate off $5 a bottle and up to $85 off for a case. Very popular.