Buyers who say they like variety, but don't ... what do you do?

I guess it’s a rhetorical question, because the answer would be: sell them whatever they want to buy!

I guess I am really just wondering if our retail folk see this phenomenon, and if it makes you scratch your head too.

Example: I was at a local wine function and there was this guy … a little too much into social-climbing and name-dropping but nice enough. So we get to talking about personal tastes and he claims that he likes ‘variety’–all kinds of regions, styles and grapes. Then he starts listing his cellar. You know where this is going, don’t you? Yep. Every single wine was a) one of four varieties–chard/cab/pinot/syrah b) overpriced c) California d) done in a really big style and e) many are oak-bombs and a few I recognize as being what I think of as hazelslut.

Do you ever just want to hug these people, direct them to some fine Chilean merlot or NZ SB and rescue them from the dungeon of consistency?

No. I look at it this way… more of the good stuff for me!

nah…they like what they like. and if i’m really in a mood to “sell”, i’m gonna be sure to tell them how much our wine is similar to what they normally gravitate toward.

am i evil, yes i am. [diablo.gif]

these people would greatly benefit from blind tastings … "…“oh, I really liked #4. What was that one, Syrah? Huh? What did you say? Torereega what? Nassional? … hmm, that was pretty tasty.” … or “I really enjoyed that Super Tuscan grape … where’s that one from?”.

Mary–I LOVE variety–I enjoy high-alcohol, overoaked Chardonnay from all over Napa…

As you say, you sell them whatever they want to buy (assuming you have it for sale). Back in the day when I actually worked retail, I would test the “I like variety” declaration by walking around the store and pointing out some wines that I thought were particularly interesting. If they bought them, great. If they ended up buying Cabernet anyway, then I knew the “variety” comment was probably just a line.

Bruce