Barbera d'Alba Cab blend?

A forum for and about wine retailing. Consumer questions, retailer rants, etc. All are welcome to post
justinmcinerny

#1 Post by justinmcinerny » March 9th, 2017, 4:38 am

At the risk of asking a really stupid question to those who know Italian wine but is there such a thing as a Barbera d'Alba Cabernet Sauvignon blend? I have not seen one but I am no expert. A customer of mine insists that they exist. If so can someone name some producers?
Justin
ITB - retail
suburban DC

Tyler Berry

#2 Post by Tyler Berry » March 10th, 2017, 1:14 pm

Some Piedmontese/Lombardian red blends incorporate Cabernet Sauvignon and Barbera with other grapes, but I can't think of/find one that is exclusively Cabernet Sauvignon/Barbera:

Bongiovanni Langhe Rosso Faletto: 70% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Barbera, 10% Nebbiolo
L. Einaudi Langhe Rosso: Nebbiolo, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Barbera
R. Ratti Villa Pattono DOC: Barbera, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot
Giovanni Corino "L'Inseime" Langhe Rosso: 40% Nebbiolo, 30% Barbera, 15% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Merlot
Braida "Il Baciale" Monferatto Rosso: 60% Barbera, 20% Pinot Nero, 10% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Merlot
Bruno di Rocca "Rabajolo" Langhe Rosso: 50% Cabernet Sauvignon, 25% Barbera, 25% Nebbiolo
Sommelier
CMS Certified

Eric Ifune
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Eric Ifune » March 10th, 2017, 4:52 pm

They might have Cabernet and Barbera blended, but then they can't be called Barbera d'Alba.

justinmcinerny

#4 Post by justinmcinerny » March 14th, 2017, 6:43 pm

Thank you Tyler and Eric, this gives me something to go on. I have some pretty good vendors around here, at least I know where to start.
Justin
ITB - retail
suburban DC

justinmcinerny

#5 Post by justinmcinerny » March 14th, 2017, 6:52 pm

Eric Ifune wrote:They might have Cabernet and Barbera blended, but then they can't be called Barbera d'Alba.
I should have thought of this right away. As the saying goes "it's better to be thought a fool and remain silent than to speak up and remove all doubt". I need to get better with Italian wines. Thought perhaps they allowed some other grapes.
Justin
ITB - retail
suburban DC

Arnt Egil Nordlien

#6 Post by Arnt Egil Nordlien » March 15th, 2017, 12:39 pm

As it has been pointed out a Barbera d'Alba is a appellation and must by law be made from 100% barbera. But Barbera d'Alba means simply barbera from Alba district. Of course you can find everything in Italy and there are several versions of barbera (grown in Alba) that is blended with cabernet sauvignon. Mostly then the Langhe DOC appellation is used. Two that comes to my mind is Virtus from Marchesi di Gresy and Ensema from San Silvestro.
Vinmonopolet

Enrico Costenaro

#7 Post by Enrico Costenaro » March 22nd, 2017, 10:40 am

I checked the regulation (I was curious), and I discovered that a Barbera d'Alba DOC can contain up to 15% of Nebbiolo.
BTW Some that I found quite nice are made by Gianfranco Alessandria.

jcoley3

#8 Post by jcoley3 » April 21st, 2017, 9:48 pm

Justin - here's a Lombardy wine I sell here that has Cabernet S. and Barbera and other grapes.

http://www.riccicurbastro.it/inglese/sc ... Rosso.html
Jim Coley ITB

"So I say, like Ortega y Gasset, that when a lot of people agree on something, it's either a stupid idea or a beautiful woman." - Alvaro Mutis

"You could spend a lot more money, and not get a better Burgundy...” - Carlo Rossi

Return to “Wine Pimps”