I *heart* retail

A forum for and about wine retailing. Consumer questions, retailer rants, etc. All are welcome to post
M. Ibis

I *heart* retail

#1 Post by M. Ibis » March 21st, 2016, 7:13 pm

I'm a 42 year old who, after a career in politics, has finally found her place in wine (and beer) retail. I love it. I like my customers (even the annoying ones!) and I enjoy turning them on to new wines or wines they never thought of before. I'm particularly fond of Washington State wines and I live in the PNW.

I'm the beverage head at a big box store that sells much more than wine. I need to look for a new job in the next year or so or I'm going to get seriously bored. My customers like my enthusiasm and geekiness.

Where do I go from here? What's the next step? I'm in Oregon so it's not like there's a shortage of wine drinkers or wine in general.

Drew Goin

I *heart* retail

#2 Post by Drew Goin » March 21st, 2016, 7:21 pm

Tasting room?

Collin Dahl
GCC Member
GCC Member

I *heart* retail

#3 Post by Collin Dahl » March 21st, 2016, 7:25 pm

Are you entrepreneurial, or would you prefer to be an employee? Say, five years out?
itb | retail

M. Ibis

I *heart* retail

#4 Post by M. Ibis » March 21st, 2016, 7:33 pm

I'm risk-adverse. And right now I carry the health insurance for my husband and I. He's a former journalist looking to change careers so that might change and if it does, I'd be a little less risk-adverse.

We live in Bend, Oregon, but for the right opportunity would be willing to relocate.

Doug Schulman
GCC Member
GCC Member

I *heart* retail

#5 Post by Doug Schulman » March 24th, 2016, 10:39 am

You'd find a LOT more opportunity in the more populated areas of your state or in wine country (I know there are wineries out your way too, but I think you know what I mean). I think moving to Portland or somewhere in the Willamette Valley would be a very important decision if you want to find work in a less boring environment in the wine business. Then you could explore options in retail or tasting rooms.
ITB - retail sales and education

Return to “Wine Pimps”