Why do wine bars fail?

A forum for and about wine retailing. Consumer questions, retailer rants, etc. All are welcome to post
RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

Why do wine bars fail?

#51 Post by RichardFlack » March 10th, 2018, 10:12 am

Lonnie F. wrote:Mitch,
You hit the nail on the head. I'm never happy paying more than retail for wine. I've been to wine bars and I either have to pay ridiculous prices or drink lousy wine that I would never purchase by the bottle. A good chef can do things I can't, a wine bar can't add much to that glass.
I suspect another issue would be rent hikes. A successful startup is probably based in part in a canny location, affordable but up and coming. When it ups and comes rents go up and the margins evaporate.

From the other side of the counter as it were I look for ambience, a selection of interesting affordable wines I do not have at home, tapas or similar, good conversation including but not only about wine (owner or customers). For all those pluses, I'd pay more than retail.

PeterJ

Why do wine bars fail?

#52 Post by PeterJ » March 10th, 2018, 3:56 pm

Lonnie F. wrote:Mitch,
You hit the nail on the head. I'm never happy paying more than retail for wine. I've been to wine bars and I either have to pay ridiculous prices or drink lousy wine that I would never purchase by the bottle. A good chef can do things I can't, a wine bar can't add much to that glass.
That’s why you should try wine bars that have well-curated selections of small production wines and don’t charge ridiculous prices. The idea is to be able to enjoy a glass or(better yet a taste) of a wine you’d not be likely to fork over the price of a full bottle for.
Peter J@ckel

Victor Hong

Why do wine bars fail?

#53 Post by Victor Hong » April 16th, 2018, 11:56 am

Mark B wrote:Has anyone seen a BYOF wine bar? Perhaps focusing on a younger demographic and partnering with food trucks?
Yes. Home.
WineHunter.

Return to “Wine Pimps”