Looking for a new everyday Pinot

A forum for and about wine retailing. Consumer questions, retailer rants, etc. All are welcome to post
Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#51 Post by Blake Brown » May 21st, 2018, 10:49 am

PeterJ wrote:Gypsy Dancer is, indeed, a very nice Pinot. We sold a lot of it in our shop ten years ago. But I’ve never seen it in the $20 area. Of course “every day” means different things to different people.
WTSO has featured the 2014 Christine`s Cuvee for $19.99 twice in the last couple of months. I buy directly from Christine.

BTW, this label was originally started by the late Gary Andrus, formerly Pine Ridge, Archery
Summit and world class skier, and is now being resurrected by his wife after Gary passed just over 9 years ago. I was a big fan of Gary personally and as a winemaker and bought everything he made much to my delight. His Pinot Gris is the best new world PG I've ever had, but his passion was to make great Pinot Noir and he accomplished that IMHO. Some of those who were proteges have carried on with recent releases and Christine has learned a bit as well and will be making her own wines soon.
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

PeterJ

#52 Post by PeterJ » May 22nd, 2018, 9:58 am

Blake Brown wrote:
PeterJ wrote:Gypsy Dancer is, indeed, a very nice Pinot. We sold a lot of it in our shop ten years ago. But I’ve never seen it in the $20 area. Of course “every day” means different things to different people.
WTSO has featured the 2014 Christine`s Cuvee for $19.99 twice in the last couple of months. I buy directly from Christine.

BTW, this label was originally started by the late Gary Andrus, formerly Pine Ridge, Archery
Summit and world class skier, and is now being resurrected by his wife after Gary passed just over 9 years ago. I was a big fan of Gary personally and as a winemaker and bought everything he made much to my delight. His Pinot Gris is the best new world PG I've ever had, but his passion was to make great Pinot Noir and he accomplished that IMHO. Some of those who were proteges have carried on with recent releases and Christine has learned a bit as well and will be making her own wines soon.
Yes, I’ve notuced that with some interest and surprise. But the OP, Carrie Bowman, is looking for a <$20 retail Pinot to carry in their retail wine shop on a regular basis. If I could buy Christine’s for $20 on a regular basis near me I’d be very happy.
Peter J@ckel

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#53 Post by Blake Brown » May 22nd, 2018, 10:27 am

Good point and one that I overlooked after first responding with the more accurate answer- ABC`s SB County.
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#54 Post by Michael Martin » May 22nd, 2018, 11:26 am

Blake Brown wrote:Good point and one that I overlooked after first responding with the more accurate answer- ABC`s SB County.
+1

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#55 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » June 14th, 2018, 12:22 pm

Brian Zamkotowicz wrote:Pali's entry level wine makes it down to about $18 in NJ, and sounds like it fits the bill. Also probably get lambasted for this, and I'm guessing you were looking for something more "artisinal," but La Crema is from CA, in this price range, and very consistent.
Weeeiiird ... these are the same two wines I was going to mention.

I will second the A to Z rec., if going outside CA is allowed.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

C. Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#56 Post by C. Bowman » June 14th, 2018, 8:16 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
Brian Zamkotowicz wrote:Pali's entry level wine makes it down to about $18 in NJ, and sounds like it fits the bill. Also probably get lambasted for this, and I'm guessing you were looking for something more "artisinal," but La Crema is from CA, in this price range, and very consistent.

I'll check out the A to Z. We've found a lot of great affordable Pinots from Oregon.
Carrie
ITB in Napa Valley where Wine is made & Cigars are smoked

Twitter @nvwineandcigar

PeterJ

#57 Post by PeterJ » June 15th, 2018, 3:59 pm

C. Bowman wrote:
Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:

I'll check out the A to Z. We've found a lot of great affordable Pinots from Oregon.

We sold a lot of A to Z and Cloudline when we had our store during the post-Sideways Pinot rush. Both affordable and consistent.
Peter J@ckel

Return to “Wine Pimps”