Retailers beware

Someone passed this at our store the other day. Bogus coupon.
photo (6).JPG

Did the cashier just process it without any due diligence? It’s not as if Hennessy or other cognac brands has a history of promotions of free bottles of cognac, do they?

Bruce

Hi Bruce,
I do not know. I just happened to see this posted near the offices as I was leaving in the evening. I’ll find out more today. But, yeah- that looks awfully odd 1). Because I’ve never seen a coupon for that amount, nor for free product and 2). for that particular product. I’ll report back later with an update.
Cheers!

Ahhhhh! So update:
I was mistaken. Thankfully, the coupon was not passed at the store. One of our reps gave this to us as a head’s up, as it is apparently circulating around. In any case, hope no one encounters this.

Cheers!!
V

Veronica–That makes sense. I would imagine most of the better wine/liquor stores would catch that, since it shouldn’t scan properly on the system since it’s bogus. It’s the sort of coupon I would expect someone to try to use at a small, mom and pop sort of place.

But people can be gullible. On the flip side, one of my friends posted on FB a link to a supposed promotion for a free case of wine to celebrate the non-existent 50th anniversary of Barefoot Cellars…

Bruce

Coupons are not legal in MA. Guess we dodged this one!

And not in Indiana, either.

JD

Nor Georgia.

Manufacturer’s coupons are not legal in NY, but I think a store coupon (generated by the store in an advertisement) is ok. This is why the MIR (Mail-in-Rebate) exists, for manufacturer’s promotions.