Issues with Benchmark Wine Group (WOT)

A forum for and about wine retailing. Consumer questions, retailer rants, etc. All are welcome to post
Jacob Terrell

#51 Post by Jacob Terrell » March 5th, 2015, 10:00 am

Ok...i'll chime in here.

Here are a few points from my POV:

-How does one have the kind of time that this guy does to post yelp reviews and then a month and a half later go on Berserkers and spend hours writing posts and re-posts. With all the wrongs in the world this is what you choose to spend your time on? Seriously? We are talking like $50 here. Dude.

-Bill has very few posts here on berserkers, and the few posts that he has started revolve around some retailer that has "wronged" him. Red flag.

-Wine should be fun. Obviously Bill has missed this point by a mile.

-If you want a retailer to do something for you don't give them a scathing review right after your "bad experience" and then expect them to bend over backwards for you.

-Last but not least, I have had many dealings with Benchmark-both selling and buying and have had nothing but great experiences. I live in the area and have been to the facility; I've met many of the people. They are a great bunch of folks who don't deserve this smear campaign by a customer misinterpreted the rules and wanted special consideration.

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#52 Post by Michael Martin » March 5th, 2015, 10:04 am

I placed an order with Benchmark just yesterday partially as a result of this thread. A show of support.

ericleehall

#53 Post by ericleehall » March 5th, 2015, 10:27 am

While I have no dog in this hunt, as a retailer myself this idea that the "Customer Is Always Right", regularly gets abused by people who are aware that small businesses are endeavoring to achieve this ideal.

We had a guy just the other day come in, sign up for our wine club (1 year commitment), take his "wine club only allocation" , at a discount, and then called to quit later that same day.

He was livid when we quoted his signed wine club form, allowing to us to reverse the discount.

He did get the allocation from us that he shouldn't have, but there was nothing to be done about that.

Unfortunately we've had similar situations where the customer threatened us with a one star yelp review, and that's where I end the conversation.

That's why we have one, one star review...out of 39.

Check it out: http://www.yelp.com/biz/roadhouse-winer ... ating_desc
All for the Love of Pinot!
www.roadhousewinery.com

M. Sai

#54 Post by M. Sai » March 5th, 2015, 11:58 am

Michael Martin wrote:I placed an order with Benchmark just yesterday partially as a result of this thread. A show of support.
Gracias Sir!
Cheers!
Mike

Formerly ITB

CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#55 Post by CJ Beazley » March 5th, 2015, 1:08 pm

ericleehall wrote:While I have no dog in this hunt, as a retailer myself this idea that the "Customer Is Always Right", regularly gets abused by people who are aware that small businesses are endeavoring to achieve this ideal.

We had a guy just the other day come in, sign up for our wine club (1 year commitment), take his "wine club only allocation" , at a discount, and then called to quit later that same day.

He was livid when we quoted his signed wine club form, allowing to us to reverse the discount.

He did get the allocation from us that he shouldn't have, but there was nothing to be done about that.

Unfortunately we've had similar situations where the customer threatened us with a one star yelp review, and that's where I end the conversation.

That's why we have one, one star review...out of 39.

Check it out: http://www.yelp.com/biz/roadhouse-winer ... ating_desc
I went to a symposium kind of thing one time and Herb Kelleher founder of Southwest Airlines gave a speech on customer service with this quote "the customer isn't always right, in fact the customer is often wrong, drunk, on drugs, psychotic, trying to rip off my airline. If we have a flight with 150 passengers and 149 of them land happy that's a success"
It's C(raig)

Gerard S

#56 Post by Gerard S » March 8th, 2015, 8:05 pm

I think this is the same guy that got furious with K&L for not lowering their futures prices on mouton....

http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/vie ... 15&t=83012

I'd say benchmark's rep is safe. Bill, I'd go talk with a therapist. You have an anger and an entitlement issue. Good luck.
G E R A R D
S T R A N C H

M A T T H A R T L E Y

#57 Post by M A T T H A R T L E Y » March 9th, 2015, 9:14 am

Gerard Stranch wrote:I think this is the same guy that got furious with K&L for not lowering their futures prices on mouton....

I'd say benchmark's rep is safe. Bill, I'd go talk with a therapist. You have an anger and an entitlement issue. Good luck.
This explains a lot.

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#58 Post by Brian Tuite » March 9th, 2015, 10:24 am

M A T T H A R T L E Y wrote:
Gerard Stranch wrote:I think this is the same guy that got furious with K&L for not lowering their futures prices on mouton....

This explains a lot.
Don't worry, he'll be back in two years with installment #3.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#59 Post by George Chadwick » March 11th, 2015, 1:37 pm

How long between OP asking in January to add to his order and OP then trying to add to his order? Did he expect that they promised that anything he bought over the ne t month would be ten percent off? Or that anything he bought before his wine shipped would be ten percent off? If he tried to add wine any time more than a few days after the "promise," that's unreasonable regardless of what he thought was promised.

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#60 Post by Brian Tuite » March 11th, 2015, 5:00 pm

George Chadwick wrote:How long between OP asking in January to add to his order and OP then trying to add to his order? Did he expect that they promised that anything he bought over the ne t month would be ten percent off? Or that anything he bought before his wine shipped would be ten percent off? If he tried to add wine any time more than a few days after the "promise," that's unreasonable regardless of what he thought was promised.
It's a gray area that I have wondered also.

BTW, my pre-arrival order arrived and I got an email yesterday about shipping. I asked her to mention my 10% 1st time buyer discount to Mike. Funny, I never heard back. newhere
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#61 Post by Merrill Lindquist » March 11th, 2015, 7:39 pm

I have all positive things to say about Benchmark. My response from them both as a buyer and seller have all been positive. People are entitled to their opinions, but over the long haul, listen to who is talking.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

Doug Schulman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#62 Post by Doug Schulman » March 12th, 2015, 3:17 pm

Bill, this is very simple. You were told the discount was only on that first order and wouldn't be applicable to items ordered later. You demanded the discount later anyway, despite having been told that. You got an email that promised nothing. You were obviously difficult on the phone because you talked to 3 different people making this completely unreasonable demand. Now you're upset and your goal of making Benchmark look bad has backfired. In fact, some of what you have said is blatantly untrue. This is very similar to that K&L thread, in which your first post was hilarious. Maybe I just think these things because I'm another evil retailer, though. Anyway, please keep posting your wildly entitled rants. They make for some fun reading.

Oh, and I can throw in another vote of confidence in Benchmark. I will happily buy more wine from them in the future.
ITB - retail sales and education

M. Sai

#63 Post by M. Sai » March 12th, 2015, 4:43 pm

Many thanks for the kind words.

Brian – you aren’t the first to make that joke in the last week...let me know if Napa isn't in your near future travel schedule. I can transport to Sonoma and cut down your drive time.

For those asking for a concise timeline:
1/9/15 - Order placed, shipping date of 1/19/15 requested
1/16/15 - Courtesy shipping notice sent, reply sent referencing the assumed secondary discount, CS rep asked him to get in touch with our sales team.
1/19/15 - Call to our sales team, requesting second order with the First Time Buyer’s discount. Order cancelled at customer’s request when request is declined.
1/19/15 – (2 hours later) Notification is received of one-star Yelp review.
3/1/15 – (Yes, 40 days later...) Thread on WB started out of frustration due to lack of response to Mr. Lewis by our management team.

Personally, I’m still confused on why Mr. Lewis thought the 1-star Yelp review would be of no consequence. I’ve always seen that as a final f-you/sayonara/I’m done move by someone who is no longer interested in civil discourse. Once I received the Yelp notification, my only concern was to make sure the refund was complete and then to perform damage control by making sure that our side of the story was made public.
Cheers!
Mike

Formerly ITB

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#64 Post by George Chadwick » March 12th, 2015, 9:20 pm

In this thread Benchmark look good OP look bad

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#65 Post by Mark Y » March 12th, 2015, 9:27 pm

M. Sai wrote:Once I received the Yelp notification, my only concern was to make sure the refund was complete and then to perform damage control by making sure that our side of the story was made public.
Hey Mike, slight drift.. but do Yelp reviews matter for a wine shop?

For restaurants I think it can make a huge diff.. but do people who visit a wine store look at yelp reviews?
i mean there's a LOT less variability with wine shops.. usually minor interaction, mid to low level of 'service', and the product is fixed.. (unlike quality of meat/veg/etc).. Just curious..
Y.e.

M. Sai

#66 Post by M. Sai » March 13th, 2015, 9:33 am

Hey Mark - every little bit helps, but you are correct - Yelp matters a lot less for us, versus a restaurant. If you Google BWG, Yelp is the second site that comes up after our site - so it is visible and worth the effort.

Yelp also helps to educate potential customers on what we actually do. Very few retail entities focus almost entirely back-vintage wines - the majority of our direct competitors are auction houses. The positive reviews talking about a great experience with an older bottle helps educate, and seeds the idea of buying back-vintage versus new release. You would be surprised how many avid wine buyers/collectors think that older wines are too expensive or just out of reach - while the reality is that a large majority of wines are actually cheaper on the secondary market.
Cheers!
Mike

Formerly ITB

dteng

#67 Post by dteng » March 13th, 2015, 1:39 pm

I'm completely puzzled as to why anyone would put this much time and effort into trying to slam a retailer. What an utter waste of time.

Ditto what Jacob T said above.

Mike S,
Good on you for needlessly putting in the effort to do damage control and give us another perspective.

Lastly - to post this in Wine Pimps AND knowing there are many here ITB??
WTF! :o :o
Dan

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#68 Post by Jay Miller » March 16th, 2015, 5:50 am

dteng wrote:I'm completely puzzled as to why anyone would put this much time and effort into trying to slam a retailer. What an utter waste of time.

Ditto what Jacob T said above.

Mike S,
Good on you for needlessly putting in the effort to do damage control and give us another perspective.

Lastly - to post this in Wine Pimps AND knowing there are many here ITB??
WTF! :o :o
I think it started out in Wine Talk and was moved.

Another happy Benchmark customer here.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Kevin Lancelotta

#69 Post by Kevin Lancelotta » March 21st, 2015, 8:57 pm

Wow . . . interesting read here.

All I can say is that I placed an order with Benchmark not too long ago (~3 months). Within a day I got a call from a sales representative who said she would be assigned to me as my personal contact at Benchmark. She took down a list of wines that I wanted to be notified of should they ever come into stock. She offered some interesting alternative suggestions and was overall a pleasure to speak with and I look forward to working with her again

Wines arrived in perfect condition and were priced pretty competitively to all other online sellers (at least as far as I could tell through wine-searcher pro)

I am impressed that Benchmark took the time to consider this initial post seriously and respond. That in and of itself is a sign of good customer service IMO

Andrew Demaree
GCC Member
GCC Member

#70 Post by Andrew Demaree » March 22nd, 2015, 7:28 am

Benchmark has been nothing but professional in my interactions with them. In fact, I worked with Rayna on my most recent set of purchases (which arrived last week) and she was on top of a couple moving pieces and kept in good communication with me throughout. I never hesitate to buy from them and this thread does nothing to change that.

I also appreciate that Mike took the time to come here and provide Benchmark's side of the story and to back up his colleagues. No doubt that's a risky move and not everyone will be happy about it, but I applaud him for that.

Andy

Travis Fantz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#71 Post by Travis Fantz » March 28th, 2015, 4:19 pm

Just had a great interaction with benchmark. Placed an order on a Friday a week ago when I was going out town. Forgot to state to exclude the receipt for it was a gift. Sent an email and left a message I would be gone for the next week with no email or phone. Checked my email today and had two emails confirming my message, one from the one I sent and one from who took my voice mail. I ordered from them because of the thread. I haven't been purchasing too much, except from a few places but decided to branch out.
HS Math Teacher (old ITB)

p. raghib

#72 Post by p. raghib » March 28th, 2015, 6:25 pm

This is the definition of "penny wise, pound foolish" on Benchmark's part.

Do I think that Bill should have been entitled to add on after the fact to his order and get a 10% discount? -no, and I know I never would've asked for it.

However, once their employee said it was no problem than it should've been honored. He bought 4btls of Hundred Acre so I would think that individual could become a good customer. In my opinion whoever wrote the email made a mistake, a mistake that would've cost the company $50 and retained a customer. In my opinion, you've got to let your employees make $50 mistakes.

All that said, the mouton thread he started is just crazy.

-paul
cheers'

-paul r.

John Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#73 Post by John Davis » April 2nd, 2015, 12:32 pm

p. raghib wrote:This is the definition of "penny wise, pound foolish" on Benchmark's part.

Do I think that Bill should have been entitled to add on after the fact to his order and get a 10% discount? -no, and I know I never would've asked for it.

However, once their employee said it was no problem than it should've been honored. He bought 4btls of Hundred Acre so I would think that individual could become a good customer. In my opinion whoever wrote the email made a mistake, a mistake that would've cost the company $50 and retained a customer. In my opinion, you've got to let your employees make $50 mistakes.

All that said, the mouton thread he started is just crazy.

-paul
I agree with this to a large extent. However, I'm in retail too and sometimes one gets tired of people taking advantage of a policy or take advantage of "I'm the customer" routine.
ITB

Scott Butler

#74 Post by Scott Butler » April 2nd, 2015, 4:09 pm

Reading through this...90% fault on Bill for being asked if he wanted a discount on anything else, and saying no, then trying to grab some more discount. 10% fault on BWG for initially agreeing to bend the rules.
WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan

Scott Butler

#75 Post by Scott Butler » April 2nd, 2015, 4:34 pm

Ps...no affiliations but I've had a couple top notch transactions with BWG
WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan

PeterJ

#76 Post by PeterJ » April 2nd, 2015, 7:09 pm

No way to psychoanalyze but it has stuck with me throughout this debate that, with my initial order having not yet shipped, I might have asked if I could have the first order discount applied to something else added before it shipped. If I were told no I would have let it go. But..... If I had received a response that made it seem possible I would likely have pursued it. I doubt I would have made a big deal if I'd been told that the email I got was not a promise but only a suggestion to ask again (which is how I read it). In the whole dramatic story that email is the only thing that I can see giving the OP even a tow to stand on, let alone a leg. Just my 2¢ because that email kept sticking with me. That said, this whole thing (as so often happens) would seem to have also been influenced by attitudes and tones that can't be known by anyone who wasn't there. There!!!! I feel much better now.
Peter J@ckel

LawrenceM

#77 Post by LawrenceM » April 10th, 2015, 9:04 am

I've placed a couple of orders through Benchmark. Can't complain about the service, and when I have spoken to Rachel and others, I've found them helpful, patient and enthusiastic.

Only real complaint is that they keep accepting my orders - my bank account would be in better shape if they stopped doing this.
M € N D € Z

RS Beck

#78 Post by RS Beck » April 10th, 2015, 12:34 pm

p. raghib wrote:This is the definition of "penny wise, pound foolish" on Benchmark's part.

However, once their employee said it was no problem than it should've been honored.
-paul

Where was it ever established that any employee of Benchmark ever said it would be "no problem" to change their policy on the discount?

I can save you some time.

No one at Benchmark ever told him that.

The idea came from him.

The employee only passed him and his idea to the next person.

Imagine I call the police and ask the person who answers the phone to send someone out to get Martians off my lawn. The person who answers says, "I'll connect you to the Sergeant and he'll be glad to talk to you about your Martians."

Then, I use a tape recording of that conversation to try to prove I had Martians on my lawn.

IMO, that's what happened here.

The OP claimed he had a discount, the employee directed him and his alleged discount to the next person.

Now, he uses that conversation to try to prove the existence of his discount.

Even though he was told several times, most importantly *before* he initiated the conversation that he was not going to get any more discount.

So, he knew there was no further discount coming and yet he uses that conversation to convince *himself* that it existed.

IMO, Benchmark did what they were obligated by good manners to do; they explained this to him a reasonable number of times, even produced the original employee who told him he would have no further discount, trying -- unsuccessfully -- to shake him from his delusion, saw they couldn't get through to him, and then ignored him.

IMO, that's the proper response.
Rob

Eric LeVine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#79 Post by Eric LeVine » April 10th, 2015, 2:46 pm

Just look at the K&L thread from the OP, and you know all that you need to know.

Benchmark is simply roadkill in this utterly slanderous and ridiculous thread. There is no other conclusion.

Benchmark is terrific.
-Eric LeVine (ITB)
It rhymes with wine...

Ken V
GCC Member
GCC Member

#80 Post by Ken V » April 11th, 2015, 4:48 am

Eric LeVine wrote:Just look at the K&L thread from the OP, and you know all that you need to know.

Benchmark is simply roadkill in this utterly slanderous and ridiculous thread. There is no other conclusion.

Benchmark is terrific.
But can they do something about the Martians on my lawn? [shrug.gif]
Ken V @ s t o l @
The Fine Wine Geek
Click on the W W W button under my name to see my website.
"Don't be meek, embrace the geek." -Terry Theise
Twitter: @FineWineGeek

RS Beck

#81 Post by RS Beck » April 11th, 2015, 11:46 am

Ken V wrote: But can they do something about the Martians on my lawn? [shrug.gif]
For that, you have to call Bevmo. :-)
Rob

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#82 Post by George Chadwick » June 1st, 2015, 2:33 am

(Martian joke deleted)

Don Echevarria

#83 Post by Don Echevarria » January 15th, 2016, 8:07 am

unfortunately trying to do a favor and help out often becomes conflict in this business and why so many retailers rarely bend the rules and come off as a-holes.
ITB Fermentation Freak

Ken Strauss
GCC Member
GCC Member

#84 Post by Ken Strauss » January 17th, 2016, 2:57 pm

Wow wow wow
It is truly incredible that such a simple situation turned into a nightmare!
The OP obviously was wrong however once the employee e-mailed him that he could take 10% on the string 1st order he goes into the right column.

But in my opinion that is secondary. Someone at Benchmark should have had the Authority to fix this. Either void the 1st order and start anew or add a new order with a 10% discount. All this talk about why we cant do it in pure nonsense. Benchmark software is deficient or the employees not creative enough(or powerless) to fix it.

Tell me...if you are happy to give a 10% discount on day 1 why not 10 days later. This all makes no sense and I suggest if this ever happened again the employees have a work around.
"Explaining is not supporting."

"Independence is a state of mind"

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#85 Post by Michael Martin » January 17th, 2016, 3:02 pm

This topic was over and done 10 months ago. Someone sweeping out the attic stumbled across it and commented on it. It needs to go back in the attic.

Ken Strauss
GCC Member
GCC Member

#86 Post by Ken Strauss » January 17th, 2016, 3:42 pm

Michael Martin wrote:This topic was over and done 10 months ago. Someone sweeping out the attic stumbled across it and commented on it. It needs to go back in the attic.
While what you say is true someone already brought this back. I spent time reading the thread
and maybe Benchmark can learn something from my comment. Also in 3 pages of posts No one said what I said.

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#87 Post by Michael Martin » January 17th, 2016, 3:49 pm

Ken Strauss wrote:
Michael Martin wrote:This topic was over and done 10 months ago. Someone sweeping out the attic stumbled across it and commented on it. It needs to go back in the attic.
While what you say is true someone already brought this back. I spent time reading the thread
and maybe Benchmark can learn something from my comment. Also in 3 pages of posts No one said what I said.
Wasn't dissing you, but a contentious thread from months ago gets resurrected. I am more in the camp of letting sleeping dogs lie.

M. Sai

#88 Post by M. Sai » January 18th, 2016, 11:12 am

Hey Ken,

As the guy who designed the custom software that runs Benchmark and who personally managed the development effort to get it implemented, I can assure you that anything is possible. If you’re ever interested in discussing the limitations imposed by restricted commodities, each with unique provenance, and how we chose to shape our system accordingly, I’m happy to take the conversation off-line. However, as I articulated months ago at the beginning of this thread, this isn’t about software imitation.

Our front line staff is our most important resource. Yelling, profanity and personal attacks aren’t going to get you a favor, ‘just this one time’. I had to deactivate another customer just last week after a phone call devolved to personal attacks and mocking of our staff because we would not give a refund on a bottle that drank as expected, but ‘the cork was crumbly’.

Why no discount 10 days later? Well as the old saying goes, ‘you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar’. Our sales and customer service teams go above and beyond every day to solve problems and make customers happy. However satisfactory resolutions are a two-way street that rely on civil discourse throughout - and thankfully 99.9999% of our customers seem to have figured that out.
Cheers!
Mike

Formerly ITB

Jletchinger

#89 Post by Jletchinger » January 19th, 2016, 10:38 pm

Benchmark usually requires a lot of run-around. I have had multiple people email me back about the same topic with a different answer. Eventually they usually come around on your side.
JoeyLetchinger WineLardernyc.com

andy velebil

#90 Post by andy velebil » January 21st, 2016, 12:40 pm

I can say that Benchmark has been one of the best retailers to deal with, especially on a sensitive topic. On my short list of seller's to implicitly trust.
I'm a Port drinking fool!
http://www.fortheloveofport.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ftlop.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Siun o'Connell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#91 Post by Siun o'Connell » January 21st, 2016, 8:19 pm

Pardon me Jletchinger but this is a real name board so please list your full name in your signature ... and since it appears you sell wine, you should mention you are "ITB" as well.

Thanks.

Aside from that, I have not yet dealt with Benchmark but I've been really impressed with Mike's comments here and like a company that doesn't throw their team under the bus just for an easy extra star on yelp. Makes me much more likely to shop Benchmark in the future.

JIMCOH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#92 Post by JIMCOH » January 25th, 2016, 8:10 pm

Ken Strauss wrote:
Maybe they didn't say it because they read the thread better than you. No one claimed that any 10% discount applied to the second order other than the OP. The reply was to be sure to mention it to the sales person, who told him it didn't apply. Story over. Everything else is just bluster. I would not have budged on price, period. The first marketing seminar I went to started out saying, "The client that you have that always wants the best price and will argue with you about it is the most expensive customer you have. Don't waste any time with him. If he won't buy from you at your price, you are better off without him as a customer." He already took too much cost by wasting three employee's time and then cancelling the order. Benchmark would have been better off if he had never seen the 10% off offer and never bothered them.

I say, "Bravo Benchmark." champagne.gif
Jim Cohen

Ken Strauss
GCC Member
GCC Member

#93 Post by Ken Strauss » January 28th, 2016, 12:42 pm

JIMCOH wrote:
Ken Strauss wrote:
Maybe they didn't say it because they read the thread better than you. No one claimed that any 10% discount applied to the second order other than the OP. The reply was to be sure to mention it to the sales person, who told him it didn't apply. Story over. Everything else is just bluster. I would not have budged on price, period. The first marketing seminar I went to started out saying, "The client that you have that always wants the best price and will argue with you about it is the most expensive customer you have. Don't waste any time with him. If he won't buy from you at your price, you are better off without him as a customer." He already took too much cost by wasting three employee's time and then cancelling the order. Benchmark would have been better off if he had never seen the 10% off offer and never bothered them.

I say, "Bravo Benchmark." champagne.gif
I was trying to provide helpful advice. If the employee knew how to handle this situation only one employee was needed and Benchmark had a $500 sale with no hassle.

For the record I have never used Benchmark but believe the many posters who say they are top notch.
I say even the best of businesses can be better.

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#94 Post by David Glasser » February 7th, 2016, 11:55 am

I think Benchmark made the right call here, especially after reading the OP's posts here and in the K&L/Mouton thread.

Benchmark had the bad fortune to encounter a customer who tried to bully them into giving him special treatment. They responded with admirable restraint yet stood their ground. Benchmark's good reputation is built on years of good service to hundreds of customers and was not/will not be significantly besmirched by unreasonable demands or baseless accusations by an isolated malcontent. Sometimes it's better business to deny a customer's demands than to reward and encourage bad behavior.

M A T T H A R T L E Y

#95 Post by M A T T H A R T L E Y » February 13th, 2016, 7:47 am

Ken Strauss wrote: I was trying to provide helpful advice. If the employee knew how to handle this situation only one employee was needed and Benchmark had a $500 sale with no hassle.

For the record I have never used Benchmark but believe the many posters who say they are top notch.
Rules are rules...

Ken Strauss
GCC Member
GCC Member

#96 Post by Ken Strauss » February 13th, 2016, 10:09 am

M A T T H A R T L E Y wrote:
Ken Strauss wrote: I was trying to provide helpful advice. If the employee knew how to handle this situation only one employee was needed and Benchmark had a $500 sale with no hassle.

Rules are rules...
Ha Ha
You make the rules.
The guy is obviously a jerk with what we find out is a bad reputation. Furthermore I agree that if he yells acts abusive etc. the staff should politely get rid of him.
However my observation isnt about what happened now it is about what how to handle a similar situation in the future.

Lets say a John Smith a wine writer reviewer (writing an article about best wine retailers) called anonymously and placed a similar order and was told the same information. The next week John Smith calls to ship the wine but wants to add some bottles with the 10% discount. How does the experienced staff person the situation?

Is the response "Mr. Smith we have had this situation come up in before and the rules are the rules".

I should hope not.

Thomas Keim
GCC Member
GCC Member

#97 Post by Thomas Keim » February 16th, 2016, 9:40 am

You guys still arguing about not getting the 10% discount?

Customer places order, receives new customer discount of 10%. Customer calls with second order, is not able to receive another 10% discount because it was his second order. Customer is upset because they won't change the rules for him.

Customer is wrong. let it go.
ITB - The Yoerg Brewing Company

"What if I fall?" "Oh, but my darling, what if you fly?"

Return to “Wine Pimps”