TN: 2011 Rhys Pinot Noir Bearwallow Vineyard

2011 Rhys Pinot Noir Bearwallow Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (5/17/2014)
First glass of wine in several days, so my palate was very fresh. From the first taste the '11 Bearwallow was more structured, more complete than any prior vintage from this vineyard. While keeping both feet firmly planted in California, with rich blackberry fruit, the wine showed significantly more tannic and acidic structure than most California Pinot. I was frequently thinking of a fine Beaune 1er Cru as I drank this, as the structural elements hinted at something more rustic and less sun drenched. Following the wine over 90 minutes or so there was little change in the structure, but significant evolution of the aromatics, with floral and spice elements added to the fruit.

I am looking forward to following this bottling over the next decade or more. There is great promise here for additional complexity, and increasing drinkability as the structure softens with cellar time.

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice note and I agree. More structured and brooding than previous vintages but probably more potential as well.

For those who were disappointed to be offered a lot of this wine versus some of the other Rhys wines, I say be glad to have a bunch of this. This level of quality in Burgundy is now hard to find for the same price.

Saw your note and decided to pop open a bottle of this as well. Really lovely aromatics… it will be exciting to see how this wine develops over time.

Please relay your tasting thoughts Ross.

Sipping on the 11 Alpine now. In contrast to your note, this is the roundest Vintage of Alpine in recent memory. These wines just keep getting better and better. I don’t know if it is vine age or what, but the perfume and flavor seems to get increasingly concentrated every year, yet they remain svelte and energetic. Your sentiment regarding value vs. Burgundy is spot on.

*edit: oops, mine was the '10

I had the '11 Bearwallow a month or so ago and did not post a note. I thought it was very young, tight and primary, but it showed significant potential. I have five more, and I don’t think I’ll open another one until late 2015.

Thanks for the great note. With only two of these in the cellar, I will be waiting on this one. Probably for a minimum of 4 years.

Had the 08 tonight, which showed well around the 4 or 5 hour mark.

I have tasted 2 of the 11’s and i am surprised how my experience differed from the above. I found them bit too stemmy but nobody else has mentioned this issue about the nose or palate.