Sad news- Laurence Faller passes away

Some very sad news out of Alsace. It’s being reported that Laurence Faller, of Domaine Weinbach, suffered a heart attack and passed away at a way, way too young age of 47. I had the pleasure of meeting her a number of times at Skurnik tastings over the years and always found her charming and beautiful and the estate’s wines amongst my favorites in the region. Such a sad loss. RIP.

Laurence Faller Dies

I met her several times, including at a rather unique tasting organized by fellow board member Panos. The account of it is on Cellartracker: A selection of Weinbach wines with Laurence Faller - CellarTracker

I remember her very well and am really shocked to learn of her passing, especially at such a young age. She was so radiant and energetic.

A couple of weeks ago we learned that Jeff Izarn of Borie la Vitarèle (St Chinian) had passed away following a tractor’s accident.

This is a really bad year so far :frowning:

Wow. Horrible news.

47? Just terrible.

I have never met her in person or anything, but I know what I have tasted in the glass over the years, some of the best Rieslings to cross my lips.

RIP.

Wow. Sad news. She was patient and kind, and made great wines to boot. What a loss.

A great loss.

I was fortunate to have tasted with her at the Domaine once. Terrible loss.

Sad news, indeed. And…it might put the estate back where it was when their father died: a bit rudderless, winery wise.

Laurence was the winemaker, technical person there. Her sister and her mother were/are nice sales people, managers. One wonder who can fill that gap, yet again. Laurence filled it earlier, now…???

Sad.

Sad indeed, met her here in Edmonton a few yrs ago.

Terrible news!

This is terrible news. Way too young
:frowning:

Terrible. She made some of the best Gewurtz in the world.

Who are the others on your list, Eric?

Just curious…

I love her wines. Opening a Riesling tonight.

That is too sad. I have read her referred to as one of the best white wine makers in the world by one critic. 2005 Gewürztraminer Altenbourg Cuvée Laurence was fabulous last December.

The combination of opulence with elegance and complexity, not heaviness in her PG and Gewurtztraminer was special IMHO.

So young… Horrible news.

Laurence Faller was a generous, thoughtful, kind and talented winemaker for Domaine Weinbach.

I recall the first time I visited, over 10 years ago. She guided me through a series of wines and took tons of time to explain her philosophy. We got into a discussion that at that time that was very topical: stressing grapes or place in Alsace? Jean Michel Deiss was leading efforts to just put place names on bottles, but she was against that.

She and her mom and sister then invited me to a lunch of white asparagus, as it was the season.

And then she agreed to bring so many wonderful wines to a tasting I had organised in 2005, the one that Guillaume described above.

Over the years, I got to know her and her family. She had come over to have dinner in Strasbourg on two occasions.

The last time I saw her was at last year’s Merano Wine Festival in northern Italy, where she hosted a master class (I could not attend it, but we both sat in on a Barolo master class).

The world of wine (and the world in general) has lost a lovely human being.

Break open a Weinbach and drink in her honor.

We are drinking the '10 Cuvee Theo Gewurztraminer tonight in her memory [never noticed until tonight that "Faller " is written in the middle of the ribbon]. Since release this has been my favorite ever, which I only mention because the first wine that ever sparked any wine interest in me was an Alsatian Gewurztraminer. Rest in Peace Laurence.