Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: I am a CT delinquent.

#101 Post by Cris Whetstone » January 29th, 2019, 5:55 pm

J.Vizuete wrote:
January 29th, 2019, 12:54 pm
Do you guys include tax and shipping in your price per bottle?

Maybe it’s subconscious denial of my spending, but I like to have a lower price/higher valuation...
I will usually add shipping costs because they can vary quite a bit. They can often be the difference between a purchase or not as I usually buy in smaller quantities.
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

sdfruman
BerserkerDay All-Pro
BerserkerDay All-Pro

#102 Post by sdfruman » January 29th, 2019, 6:38 pm

AndrewH wrote:
January 29th, 2019, 4:59 pm
dsimmons wrote:
January 29th, 2019, 2:25 pm
J.Vizuete wrote:

Maybe it’s subconscious denial of my spending, but I like to have a lower price/higher valuation...
I do because it is a significant cost component for me. Usually about $10 per bottle. I however do not think there is any consistency among CT users.
Same, but not consistent across users (and debate ensues). I do it to create parity between wines shipped to me (shipping but not always taxed) and local purchases (tax but no shipping).
I do it because I have friends who like to shop my inventory and that means I get the landed cost back. I started my cellar inventory today. Lots of time spent trying to organize and relocate bottles from the same producer together. It's going to be brutal. [soap.gif]
Sheila

“There comes a time in every woman's life when the only thing that helps is a glass of champagne.”
― Bette Davis

Dale Bowers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#103 Post by Dale Bowers » January 29th, 2019, 7:14 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
January 22nd, 2019, 10:05 am
JDavisRoby wrote:
January 22nd, 2019, 8:12 am
I’m OCD about my CT. Will miss a few here and there. But, about once a month I use the location feature to give me the number of bottles that should be in a rack and inventory that way. Haven’t gone to barcoding just yet.

One thing I’m not OCD about is the exact location. I list the specific rack the bottle is in, but not the exact bin in that rack. How many people list the exact bin? For those that list the bin, do you have a numbering system?
"Exact location" for me is "somewhere in the cellar. I think. Maybe in one of those boxes over there I have been meaning to unpack since last June. Or maybe not."
Ha! I have a CellarTracker entry called “In box on floor”.
Cheers!

Rich K0rz€nk0
GCC Member
GCC Member

#104 Post by Rich K0rz€nk0 » January 29th, 2019, 7:26 pm

Dale Bowers wrote:
January 29th, 2019, 7:14 pm
Neal.Mollen wrote:
January 22nd, 2019, 10:05 am
JDavisRoby wrote:
January 22nd, 2019, 8:12 am
I’m OCD about my CT. Will miss a few here and there. But, about once a month I use the location feature to give me the number of bottles that should be in a rack and inventory that way. Haven’t gone to barcoding just yet.

One thing I’m not OCD about is the exact location. I list the specific rack the bottle is in, but not the exact bin in that rack. How many people list the exact bin? For those that list the bin, do you have a numbering system?
"Exact location" for me is "somewhere in the cellar. I think. Maybe in one of those boxes over there I have been meaning to unpack since last June. Or maybe not."
Ha! I have a CellarTracker entry called “In box on floor”.
Guilty
Time Person of the Year - 2006

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#105 Post by JDavisRoby » January 30th, 2019, 6:25 am

J.Vizuete wrote:

I do not just because I have some bottles that have no shipping because the broker is still storing them, some that have shipping to storage in another state and some that have shipping to Oklahoma. Same with tax. Although, one retailer in town adds the liquor tax to her shelf price and then charges only sales tax.

I consider the shipping and tax my tariff for collecting. If I sell bottles I just add back $10-$15 bucks for shipping and then go from there.
Joshu@

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#106 Post by Neal.Mollen » January 30th, 2019, 6:31 am

I never include shipping and/or tax for the same reason some of you include it; it can vary so much. I suppose it depends on why you are collecting the data. If it is to have a record of landed price, I can see including it, but I can't think of how I would use that data. I am more interested in following what has happened to the price of a wine over time, and I can't do that if the price I kept is inclusive of the add-ons
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Mont Stern
GCC Member
GCC Member

#107 Post by Mont Stern » January 30th, 2019, 6:42 am

I am also in the delinquent group. Having to work with electronic medical records has made me come to detest all "busy work." My solution is that I bought a Dymo printer and bar code reader. I am paying one of my daughter's friends to bar code and organize my wine. She is about halfway through the task. I have been able to keep everything in my head pretty well but if something happens to me, I would be dumping a mess on my family.

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#108 Post by David Glasser » January 30th, 2019, 9:55 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
January 30th, 2019, 6:31 am
I never include shipping and/or tax for the same reason some of you include it; it can vary so much. I suppose it depends on why you are collecting the data. If it is to have a record of landed price, I can see including it, but I can't think of how I would use that data. I am more interested in following what has happened to the price of a wine over time, and I can't do that if the price I kept is inclusive of the add-ons
This is my approach to recording price.

dsimmons
GCC Member
GCC Member

#109 Post by dsimmons » January 30th, 2019, 2:19 pm

Carlton McCrindle wrote:
January 29th, 2019, 3:06 pm
Anyone willing to share their bottle entering methodology (or habit)? I would do much better if didn’t seem so tedious.
One thing that would help me tremendously is if the vendors I purchase from would include a detailed packing list, showing price per bottle, shiiping, taxes imposed, etc.
Carlton,

Here is the steps I go through when entering wine in inventory. IN my case almost all of my bottles are purchased online and then received at a later date.

1 under the top drop down menu select "Wine"
2 enter the vintage and producer of the bottle(s) to be entered
3 select your purchase from the drop down list
4 in the wine screen that comes up look on the right side right above "tasting notes" and click "add to my cellar"
5 fill in the information requested on quantity, size, etc. You can leave some of these blank if you wish.
6 Hit Save and Done

The information you are looking for on the packing slip is normally included only on the invoice and almost never on the packing list.

Hope this helps.
D o n

AndrewH

#110 Post by AndrewH » January 30th, 2019, 2:33 pm

^ I have found that wineries uniformly include the necessary information in their invoices, usually sent when the order is complete. Same thing for most stores, especially online (in store receipts are a bit less robust).

Biggest challenge for me is adding tax and shipping when I have to allocate across bottles.
Andrew H e i m e r t

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#111 Post by Mike Evans » January 31st, 2019, 6:13 am

AndrewH wrote:
January 30th, 2019, 2:33 pm
^ I have found that wineries uniformly include the necessary information in their invoices, usually sent when the order is complete. Same thing for most stores, especially online (in store receipts are a bit less robust).

Biggest challenge for me is adding tax and shipping when I have to allocate across bottles.
I allocate tax using the calculator function in the CT price field by multiplying the price times 1 plus the tax rate, so if the tax is 7.75%, I multiply price times 1.0775. I allocate shipping per bottle and use the same function to add it to the price.

AndrewH

#112 Post by AndrewH » January 31st, 2019, 6:38 am

Mike Evans wrote:
January 31st, 2019, 6:13 am
AndrewH wrote:
January 30th, 2019, 2:33 pm

I allocate tax using the calculator function in the CT price field by multiplying the price times 1 plus the tax rate, so if the tax is 7.75%, I multiply price times 1.0775. I allocate shipping per bottle and use the same function to add it to the price.
Yes, that's how I do it as well. Then allocate shipping, which is per bottle basis regardless of price. It's not a mathematical challenge, just a keystrokes challenge.
Andrew H e i m e r t

Rich K0rz€nk0
GCC Member
GCC Member

#113 Post by Rich K0rz€nk0 » January 31st, 2019, 7:29 am

David Glasser wrote:
January 30th, 2019, 9:55 am
Neal.Mollen wrote:
January 30th, 2019, 6:31 am
This is my approach to recording price.

That

I want to track the price of a wine exclusive of the other variables.
Time Person of the Year - 2006

Return to “Wine Talk”