Recent Insignia Vintages

A friend was asking about some showy CA cabs as gifts. Most were what I consider typical steak-house wines. I suggested he put Joseph Phelps Insignia on the list.

Since I don’t follow this market segment any more, I’d like some opinions on the better recent vintages that can be found in the channel.

Thanks in advance,

David

'02 &'07

The last Insignia I tasted was the 04, which I had on release at the winery. I remember being quite impressed with it. It saturated with ripe black and red fruit, of course, but there was also a sense of balance and gravitas to the wine

• 2007 Joseph Phelps Insignia - USA, California, Napa Valley (6/7/2013)
    Wonderful plum aroma. Sweet cherry on the initial taste with a nice long finish. Luscious mouth feel. A truly enjoyable experience. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Upgaded by Robert P.;
Robert Parker, The Wine Advocate
99 pts
Perhaps I should just go ahead and give this 2007 a three-digit score as it is a profoundly great Cabernet Sauvignon-based effort. The production was 13,500 cases of this 100% estate fruit blend of 88% Cabernet Sauvignon, 8% Merlot and 4% Petit Verdot. The alcohol came in at 14.5%. The growing season was nearly ideal, with early bud break, generous flowering, a bountiful crop size, and summer weather that was warm and dry with no significant heat spikes. According to the Phelps winemaking team, the cluster grape weights in 2007 came in 23-45% lower than average, which surprised everyone. However, the fruit quality was one of the finest they had ever seen. The result is one of the top Insignias yet produced. Aged 24 months in new French oak, this infant 2007 exhibits an inky/purple color along with notes of graphite, spring flowers and smoky oak. This full-bodied, classic Insignia reveals fabulous depth, ripeness, texture, viscosity and richness. Still young and unformed, it should evolve for 25 or more years.

My 2 cents…Had the 2010 in November and April and was really really impressed with it. Big power, ripe dark fruit and a little coffee/chocolate that I expect from their style. I’ve have had the 09 a few times and felt it lacked a bit of body and power in comparison to the 8/10. The 08 fires on all cylinders, like 10 a top vintage of this wine for me. 07 I’ve had mixed reviews between excellent and good in about 6 experiences, finding more balance but less power and complexity. 06 is a value buy at auction, getting dumped and showing as almost a second wine of itself which is great for the reduced aftermarket pricing. I wouldn’t pay anywhere near full freight for it. I’ve found it muted, but medium+ bodied and easy drinking, not very special. 05 I loved early in it’s life and had one bottle lately and was disappointed. May have been a slightly off bottle. 04, huge fan of that vintage, thought parker was off on his recent retrospective and continue to seek this out, drinking perfectly. 03 doesn’t deserve mentioning…