CellarTracker/Excel fun: What was the average vintage of the red wine you drank in 2013?

Lots of people say they drink old wine (I say that), so it would be interesting to hear how old – as an average. More specifically, what was the average vintage of the wine you consumed in 2013? For the moment, let’s just talk about red wines.

Below I include some instructions for generating this information using CellarTracker. In my case, the average vintage for the red wines I consumed in 2013 was 1988.4, so roughly 25 years old.

-Ben

Instructions (with thanks to Dan Polivy of CellarTracker)

• On your CellarTracker home page, click “Advanced Search” , then select “Consumed Bottles”.
  • For “Type&Color”, choose red, for “Beginning Consume Date”, choose January 1, 2013, for “End Consume Date”, choose December 31, 2013.
  • Click “Search”. You should see a list of the bottles of red wine you drank last year.
  • Click “Export” and choose comma-separated values (for Microsoft Excel).
  • In Excel, compute the average of the years in the “Vintage” column.

That’s a lottttta work for a data… but it’s kinda interesting so i did it… 2008… since i haven’t been drinking that long, it’s kinda what i expected.
Nice find!

It’s not work, it’s fun!

2003.42, not counting the 4 bottles of non-vintage red

2001.06. About what I expected.

473 tasting notes in 2013, average vintage of 2001.8. writing notes at UGC on tons of 2010 bordeaux really threw my average!

473 tasting notes. Impressive!

Ok. This is where I’m stumped Ben.

2003.1 - had to be careful to remove the NV ones!

2002.7 (2002.3 so far in 2014). For only getting into this hobby seriously about five years ago, I’m pretty happy with that.

IIRC, CT (at least the old version), I recall being able to see “average vintage” displayed wihtout all these gyrations… wonder if it is still possible somehow…

2008 is the average
2002 is the minimum
2011 is the maximum
2 is the standard deviation
49 is the sample size

But that’s pretty meaningless. I use CT more as an inventory tool than a TN archive.
While I write notes on most wines I drink, the majority aren’t in CT, as I never enter the stuff I buy and plan on drinking in short term. So all of the young reds I buy and drink aren’t in there. Conversely, I don’t enter the notes I write on wines I drank from other people (so from all the bottles at our '83 tasting at Harry’s, only entered my DDC blanc and Ducru, so only 1 83 red counted). But it was fun to figure out, thanks.

Hi Dan. In Excel, click on a cell at the bottom of the vintage column (below the last entry in the column). Then, click on the function dropdown (on a Mac it’s the summation symbol, sigma) and choose Average. Then select all the vintages in the column.

This is how it looks on my Mac.

Ben

Avg 2005.86
Actually much older than I expected, as I only started building/buying a cellar a couple years ago, and we tend to drink a lot of pinot and prefer it on the young side.
For 2014 the current average is 2007.5, which is about what I expected.

1. But the response is flawed because it answers the question, “what is the average age of the bottles you recorded in CT as having been consumed during 2013.”

That’s right, although, in my case, the only wine I will have drunk that isn’t in CellarTracker is: 1) wine ordered in restaurants (which I don’t do very often) and 2) wine brought to a wine dinner by other people (which isn’t insignificant). I understand that my results may be skewed by missing these, but it’s the best I can do. That’s why this thread is called “CellarTracker/Excel fun”.

I might be unusual in that I enter every bottle I buy in CellarTracker and I don’t buy “drinkers” – inexpensive bottles to drink young. While I have wine at almost every dinner at home, the amount I pour myself is no more than 2 ounces or so, making drinking good, old wine every night affordable.

Ben

I checked with CellarTracker. Although they show average vintage for the bottles currently in your cellar, there is no way currently to have that shown for bottles that you consumed.

Ben

Thanks. Regards to the Mrs.

Ben, just curious 2oz = 12 pours… how do you keep a btl fresh for that long? Coravin type gear or you eat with lots of people ususally?

[cheers.gif]