ATL cracks down on BYOB

Atlanta cracks down on BYOB
http://clatl.com/omnivore/archives/2014/05/01/city-of-atlanta-cracks-down-on-byob

Sounds like a money grab. There’s no reason that a place with a liquor license should need additional oversight if they allow someone to bring in their own. I could possibly understand it if the restaurant had no other license, but having to have two licenses is just a grab for cash.

I just love the $2000 license to not sell them wine.

No bueno for the City of Atlanta restaurants (or their customers more specifically).

Sucks for ATL. Let’s hope others don’t follow this practice.

Another solution in search of a problem. Government at its finest.

Move to California!

This sucks. I visit family several times a year in Atl and always travel with wine. Guess we will be drinking at home and then going to dinner.

If there has been no permits issued in the last 15 years, and no citations made in such time, does this not invalidate the law from a legal perspective in as much as the city has not accepted the law as is and has purposefully determined to ignore and even accept the ignorance of the law, thereby making it the law null and void? Willingness to NOT act on a law for 15 years constitutes acceptance that the law is not accepted by the city.

I’ll bet it was two former California politicians who moved to Atlanta and stirred up this sh!t.

All the more reason to leave!

Imagine how crowded the ESL classes would be. Fortunately, we have Shawnda, who is bi-lingual and can act as an interpreter at offlines. [wow.gif] neener

Guess the City didn’t learn any lessons from the Braves leaving an environment that is inhospitable to its businesses that bring people and their money into Atlanta.

Also see thread in the BYOB Forum.

+1

The new stadium is going to be constructed in Cobb county which is significantly safer than downtown Atlanta. If you get lost leaving Turner Stadium in the evening, you could end up in some very scary locations. I found this out the hard way. Atlanta is a sponge to a few of the outlying counties.

Candlestick Park is the same way being in the middle of Bayview-Hunters Point which is one of the worst neighborhoods in SF.

Because everyone knows what a light touch the state of CA has w/r/t regulation?

There is a conspiracy theory floating around, that one of the larger local restaurant groups instigated this so they would have an excuse to say no to BYOB.

Seems to be a bit of a Twitter war with the mayor of Atlanta over this. He claims the story is “garbage” and is not too happy about the strident complaints against the supposed new policy.

Typical from politicians that want to control our lives. They get testy when they get called on it, because we don’t understand that they know better than we do.

You’ll notice that he didn’t say the fine wasn’t going to happen, just that “the story was garbage”. Which part Mr. Mayor? The part about the fine, or the part where you and your political cronies got caught?

Was just talking to someone today about how the city has slowly come into the current century with beer growlers, Sunday sales (hello, were we in the 1800s?!) and higher alcohol beer. And here we go backwards.
While I can completely understand a restaurant in the city not wanting to pay this ridiculous fee, my rule has been, if your policy is no BYOB, then my policy is to not give my business to your establishment. So this is a huge step backwards for patrons and restaurant owners in the city. And now I’m more likely to patronize those outside the city limits, or those in the city who have chosen to pony up the fee. Yep, we still have our heads up our #%~|es. Thank you, City of Atlanta.