Virtual Tasting Series XXI -EXTENDED - Women Winemakers or Santa Barbara AVA Wines - $10 per TN

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

Virtual Tasting Series XXI -EXTENDED - Women Winemakers or Santa Barbara AVA Wines - $10 per TN

#1 Post by brigcampbell » April 30th, 2014, 2:08 pm

Jane Crabill's offer:

I will contribute $10 per tasting note to the first twenty postings in each category . I hope we get more than 20 notes in each category but will set the limit for my total donation at $400 for May 1st - 8th.

On a global basis, the first category is wine from women winemakers and the charity is INTERNATIONAL RESCUE COMMITTEE rated four stars (the top rating available) by Charity Navigator with 91.5% of donated funds going directly into aid programs. IRC is working with shaping the future of young girls in the East Congo, providing sustenance and shelter for families uprooted by civil war in the South Sudan, helping displaced victims of natural disasters in Haiti and the Philippines (earthquake and typhoon) and reuniting orphans or displaced children with family members following disasters, etc. To qualify, the winemaker should be a female (Merry Edwards, Lynn Penner-Ash, Lane Tanner, Arianna Occhipinti, Laurence Faller of Domaine Weinbach, etc.) not the owner with a partner or hired winemaker.

Closer to home, the second category is wine from grapes grown in Santa Barbara County, CA to benefit The CARE Clinic of Fayetteville, NC—Compassion, Assistance, Referral, and Education. “The CARE Clinic provides free quality health care to eligible uninsured, low income adults who live in Cumberland County. We rely entirely on the generosity of volunteers, donors, grants from foundations and annual fund raising events so that we can continue to provide health care services in our community.” With the help of Catholic Social Ministries, Sister Jean Rhoads was brought to Fayetteville to establish a free health clinic. The clinic recently observed a twenty-year anniversary. Women continue to take a lead in the direction of this organization. One of the chief annual fundraising events is “Toast of the Town” which is an extensive wine tasting held at a local hotel.

AVAs in Santa Barbara County include Santa Maria Valley, Santa Ynez Valley, Happy Canyon of Santa Barbara, and Sta. Rita Hills. So check your cellar and break out a bottle from Santa Barbara County and help provide health care to those who desperately need it.

Here's a list of Central Coast AVA wines in your cellar and then you can narrow it down from there
Last edited by brigcampbell on May 7th, 2014, 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marc Hauser
GCC Member
GCC Member

Virtual Tasting Series XXI - Jane Crabill - Women Winemakers or Santa Barbara AVA Wines - $10 per TN

#2 Post by Marc Hauser » April 30th, 2014, 6:20 pm

How convenient - I just opened a 2011 Cecily Tremblay 2011 Bourgogne La Croix Blanche tonight. Deep red color. Strawberry, black pepper, roses on the nose. Moderate acidity with good tannins. Nice fruit, sour cherry and raspberry, along with a meaty backbone. Good length and depth, easygoing and high enjoyable.
ITB-ish (unfrozen caveman cannabis lawyer and erstwhile wine lawyer)

Jane Crabill

Virtual Tasting Series XXI - Jane Crabill - Women Winemakers or Santa Barbara AVA Wines - $10 per TN

#3 Post by Jane Crabill » April 30th, 2014, 9:14 pm

Thanks for getting us started. i will report on a Merry Edwards wine tomorrow.
Fayetteville, NC

Marc Hauser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Marc Hauser » May 1st, 2014, 5:16 am

I'll try to dig out some Merry Edwards and some Inman from my locker this weekend.
ITB-ish (unfrozen caveman cannabis lawyer and erstwhile wine lawyer)

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by J a y H a c k » May 1st, 2014, 11:23 am

Can I get credit for the 2007 Scarecrow we opened on Monday? No way am I opening two of those in 10 days.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

salilb

#6 Post by salilb » May 1st, 2014, 12:16 pm

J a y H a c k wrote:Can I get credit for the 2007 Scarecrow we opened on Monday? No way am I opening two of those in 10 days.
Ask for double credit for the Drouhin (Veronique Drouhin is the winemaker) Le Clos that you also popped!
B℮n℮gaɭ

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#7 Post by Todd F r e n c h » May 1st, 2014, 5:17 pm

I wanted to look through my cellar for a wine with a female winemaker, as I'm sure I have a few, but I was too 'thirsty', and cracked open one of my few Santa Barbara County wines. I used to have a lot of them, as I do very much enjoy the variety of wines there, and their uniqueness compared to their Norcal brethren, but I have since consumed them all. Fortunately for me, I've got a couple trips to the region planned for this year, and plan to stock up once again.

2009 Zaca Mesa Santa Ynez Valley Syrah - if I had to guess from appearance and nose, I'd put a 'Petit' in front of this wine - incredibly dark purple color, and smells of dark chocolate and plums. Even the weight and mouthfeel would make me think it may be a slightly-more-aged-than-its-vintage Petit Sirah, but eventually the finish settles in with a more rustic character, even a bit of smoked meat, though I'd not say bacon. There's also a bit of the 'Santa Barbara Spice' that I recognize in wines from Happy Canyon, in particular, like the cabs Bryan Babcock was producing for some years. It's sort of a regional flavor profile that I often get in Santa Barbara reds, and I like it. Overall, a decent wine. Its typicity is off, but it's an enjoyable wine nonetheless - better chance of Jen liking this one than any of the more typical Syrahs, as it is more fruit-forward.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Jane Crabill

#8 Post by Jane Crabill » May 1st, 2014, 6:39 pm

Jay, I don't think wines opened on Monday would count. Can you find something else in your collection to open in the current week?
Fayetteville, NC

Jane Crabill

#9 Post by Jane Crabill » May 1st, 2014, 6:51 pm

2008 MERRY EDWARDS RUSSIAN RIVER VALLEY PINOT NOIR, FLAX VINEYARD. 14.4% abv. From Pommard clone and a hillside vineyard farmed by Phil Flax. For a Pinot Noir, this wine is very dark, dense and opaque purple in the glass. On the nose I am finding dark plumskin while the palate conveys dark slightly tart cherries and some herbal nuances, perhaps tea leaves. This has a nice acid balance as a counterpoint to rich fruit presence and a lengthy finish. It is drinking well now. I paired it with salmon and a tossed salad the first evening and with broiled lamb chop and baked potato the second evenng. It stood up to the lamb although duck breast might have been a better pairing. I have a Williams Selyem Flax Vineyard Pinot Noir from the same vintage and may open it this week to compare.

I am debating which Santa Barbara wine to open this week--possibly a Babcock Cabernet Sauvignon or a Melville Pinot Noir, also from 2008.
Fayetteville, NC

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Chris Seiber » May 1st, 2014, 10:27 pm

I immediately decided to go for the Daily Double when I saw this dual theme. Angela Osborne is an immigrant from New Zealand, and she is as quirky and individualistic as she is delightful. Her core wine is this grenache from the Santa Barbara Highlands, which is a fairly dry area at 3,200 feet elevation about 30 miles east of Santa Barbara in the mountains. She has recently branched out to produce Grenache and Graciano from the Sierra Foothills, plus a rose of Grenache.

• 2011 A Tribute to Grace Wine Company Grenache Santa Barbara Highlands Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County (5/1/2014)
    This was the best showing I've had thus far for one of the Grace wines. The wine had the trademark bright but quite transparent and clear color of this bottling, definitely straddling the borderline of the range of rose versus red wine colors.

Fresh strawberry, cherry, orange peel, pine and mineral mix on the nose. Sweet but delicate cherry fruit, mineral, orange on the silky palate, with a subtle clove and cinnamon spice developing at the end after the bottle had been open. There is a hint of warming brown sugar on the finish.

Angela's wines always have a distinctly feminine character to them, maybe somewhat in the broader style category with producers like Anthill Farm and Domaine Dublere. This wine was really shining tonight. (94 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker

Jane Crabill

#11 Post by Jane Crabill » May 2nd, 2014, 11:28 am

Sounds really good, Chris. That's worthy of $10 to each charity cause.
Fayetteville, NC

Pat Burton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Pat Burton » May 2nd, 2014, 1:57 pm

Chris Seiber wrote:I immediately decided to go for the Daily Double when I saw this dual theme. Angela Osborne is an immigrant from New Zealand, and she is as quirky and individualistic as she is delightful. Her core wine is this grenache from the Santa Barbara Highlands, which is a fairly dry area at 3,200 feet elevation about 30 miles east of Santa Barbara in the mountains. She has recently branched out to produce Grenache and Graciano from the Sierra Foothills, plus a rose of Grenache.

• 2011 A Tribute to Grace Wine Company Grenache Santa Barbara Highlands Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County (5/1/2014)
    This was the best showing I've had thus far for one of the Grace wines. The wine had the trademark bright but quite transparent and clear color of this bottling, definitely straddling the borderline of the range of rose versus red wine colors.

Fresh strawberry, cherry, orange peel, pine and mineral mix on the nose. Sweet but delicate cherry fruit, mineral, orange on the silky palate, with a subtle clove and cinnamon spice developing at the end after the bottle had been open. There is a hint of warming brown sugar on the finish.

Angela's wines always have a distinctly feminine character to them, maybe somewhat in the broader style category with producers like Anthill Farm and Domaine Dublere. This wine was really shining tonight. (94 pts.)
Nice note Chris. I'd open one but I'm waiting on my first futures order (2012s)
CT - Prof B

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

Virtual Tasting Series XXI - Jane Crabill - Women Winemakers or Santa Barbara AVA Wines - $10 per T

#13 Post by J a y H a c k » May 2nd, 2014, 4:31 pm

Jane Crabill wrote:Jay, I don't think wines opened on Monday would count. Can you find something else in your collection to open in the current week?
I don't know who made half of the wines I own, maybe 65%, and the only Santa Barbera wines I have are Lillians that are nit ready yet. But I will see what I can do.

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by J a y H a c k » May 2nd, 2014, 4:32 pm

BUT I promise not to open any No Girls wines this week. Does that count?

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by brigcampbell » May 2nd, 2014, 4:56 pm

This counts as a double!! SBC wine made by a girl. Here's her high school graduation picture. champagne.gif
image.jpg
  • 2012 Tercero Mourvedre Rosé - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County (5/2/2014)
    Very interesting light Salmon color with medium forming legs and aromas of hay/straw, peach and orange blossom. It's in total harmony and has flavours of light peach and cherry with a light/medium body and an earthy note. Linear texture with a medium finish - I'm writing this from the Vinopal app. Last of the Larry's rosè from 2012 which we guzzled through over the last year. Rumors are the '13 is bottled so it's probably time to load up again.

Jane Crabill

#16 Post by Jane Crabill » May 3rd, 2014, 2:42 pm

It sounds good, Brig. I'm starting to stock up on rose' wines for summer weather.
Fayetteville, NC

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » May 3rd, 2014, 4:30 pm

Jane,

I know that Caroline Diel became involved with the winemaking at Schlossgut Diel in 2006. I am not sure how much input she had though.

2006 Schlossgut Diel Dorsheimer Goldloch Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Nahe (5/3/2014)
We are at an in between phase with this wine. The fruit has become somewhat subdued, but bottle aged complexity is not yet prominent. The balance is good, with sweetness and acidity in harmony, and a sheen of botrytis adding a honeyed edge. Overall though I will wait on further bottles for several more years.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by J a y H a c k » May 3rd, 2014, 4:34 pm

Ok. We've finally got it. Samanthan Sheehan at Poe or Heidi Barrett at Paradigm. Tomorrow or Monday. We also have some Diel, but that looks like a maybe, so we'll stick with California.

Peter Kleban
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Peter Kleban » May 3rd, 2014, 4:41 pm

*Xavier Flouret uQamata 2009
Amani Winery
Stellenbosch SA
14.5%. 40% Cabernet Franc, 40% Merlot, 2% Petit Verdot, 18% Cabernet Sauvignon
Lush, creamy, full flavor but very interesting and smooth. Made by Carmen Stevens, one of SA's first black female winemakers. Definitely worth trying again.
Bob Wood:
"Peter..your well-reasoned words were a waste of time."
WsOTY:
G Marsella Fiano Avellino '15
Petrolo Galatrona '13
Danl Dampt & Fils Chablis 1er Côte Léchet '16
D Ph Charlopin Gevrey-Chamb Evocelles '11
Vigot Vosne-Romanée Chalandins '16
Patricia Green Mysterious '16
Paetra Pinot Blanc Coast Rng '18
Terrien Chardonnay '15

salilb

#20 Post by salilb » May 3rd, 2014, 4:46 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:We are at an in between phase with this wine.
And I just pulled my one bottle out of storage a month ago.

/facepalm

Jay, not going for the Marcassins? neener
B℮n℮gaɭ

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » May 3rd, 2014, 4:53 pm

Yeah. Put it back.

Erich Sachse
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Erich Sachse » May 4th, 2014, 1:54 am

I went for the double as well...

2004 Lillian Winery Syrah - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County (5/3/2014)
Pop & pour. Nose remains extremely youthful, with loads of dark fruit. Some herbal notes starting to show through, although it has lost some of the floral notes. Some development showing on the creamy palate as well, but this is still quite youthful, with lots of dark fruit. Finish is quite nice, but suffers from a little heat. Opened up further with some air. Still has time. (92 pts.)

Jane Crabill

#23 Post by Jane Crabill » May 4th, 2014, 2:33 pm

Thanks for keeping them coming. I will be opening a Melville Estate Syrah on Tuesday.
Fayetteville, NC

Erich Sachse
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Erich Sachse » May 4th, 2014, 10:35 pm

Keever, by Celia Welch. This has always been a notch behind Corra for me, but still has been generally strong and this was no exception. The current list price for Keever is ambitious (to put it nicely), but the back vintages show up at auction cheaply (I think I paid ~$30 per), and are a deal.

2005 Keever Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Grown - USA, California, Napa Valley, Yountville (5/4/2014)
In a really nice place right now. nose shows lots of licorice, spicebox, and dark fruits. palate is still quite fruit-focused with integrated tannins. (93 pts.)

B. Buzzini
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by B. Buzzini » May 5th, 2014, 8:05 am

Took these two beauties to dinner with us last night….both were perfect with our dishes!
  • 2011 Turley Zinfandel Old Vines - USA, California (5/5/2014)
    Another classic Turley OV…..oozing with raspberry, blackberry, briery strawberry….killer white pepper spice, liqueur berry florals, licorice, tobacco leaf.…nice tart skin, minerality…well balanced showing no heat at all. A really great wine to sip on throughout a meal. (92 pts.)
  • 2013 Tercero Mourvedre Rosé - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County (5/5/2014)
    Very delicate pinkie here….super balance with zero heat and good dryness reminding me of a liquid sunshine Provençal rose'. Tasty flavors of subtle strawberry, white peach, melon, red delicious apple….fresh squeeze citrus acidity…mineral crunch…dried cherry and orange…..would have liked something that screams "Mourvedre" like some pine forest or underbrush….but all in all this is a tasty little Summer sipper, that went very well with a number of dishes. (91 pts.)
Attachments
image.jpg
Meursault-head!

B. = Brian

Jane Crabill

#26 Post by Jane Crabill » May 5th, 2014, 10:16 am

Buzz, you get credit for the Tercero (which sounds quite enjoyable) but the Turley Zinfandel is most likely from the hands of a male winemaker.
Fayetteville, NC

B. Buzzini
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by B. Buzzini » May 5th, 2014, 4:44 pm

Jane Crabill wrote:Buzz, you get credit for the Tercero (which sounds quite enjoyable) but the Turley Zinfandel is most likely from the hands of a male winemaker.
Sorry.....this better....
  • 2012 Tercero Roussanne Camp 4 Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley (5/5/2014)
    I'm use to Alban Roussannes..…no match strike reduction here….so this is a nice change of pace! Creamy and bright, not in your face style….perfectly ripe orchard fruit, with just a touch of tropicalness to it. Fresh citrus acidity dances with the cream…subtle complexities of white flowers, honeysuckle jam, honey butter, lite toasted marshmallow, candied lemon rind……refreshingly Rhone! Better at cellar temp to bring out more pronounced flavors and florals……nice one! (92 pts.)
Meursault-head!

B. = Brian

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#28 Post by larry schaffer » May 5th, 2014, 9:27 pm

brigcampbell wrote:This counts as a double!! SBC wine made by a girl. Here's her high school graduation picture. champagne.gif
image.jpg
  • 2012 Tercero Mourvedre Rosé - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County (5/2/2014)
    Very interesting light Salmon color with medium forming legs and aromas of hay/straw, peach and orange blossom. It's in total harmony and has flavours of light peach and cherry with a light/medium body and an earthy note. Linear texture with a medium finish - I'm writing this from the Vinopal app. Last of the Larry's rosè from 2012 which we guzzled through over the last year. Rumors are the '13 is bottled so it's probably time to load up again.
Dude - you're KILLING me!!!!!

Glad to hear this one is still holding steady - you are going to dig the 2013!!!

Cheers!
larry schaffer
tercero wines

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#29 Post by larry schaffer » May 5th, 2014, 9:28 pm

B. Buzzini wrote:Took these two beauties to dinner with us last night….both were perfect with our dishes!
  • 2011 Turley Zinfandel Old Vines - USA, California (5/5/2014)
    Another classic Turley OV…..oozing with raspberry, blackberry, briery strawberry….killer white pepper spice, liqueur berry florals, licorice, tobacco leaf.…nice tart skin, minerality…well balanced showing no heat at all. A really great wine to sip on throughout a meal. (92 pts.)
  • 2013 Tercero Mourvedre Rosé - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County (5/5/2014)
    Very delicate pinkie here….super balance with zero heat and good dryness reminding me of a liquid sunshine Provençal rose'. Tasty flavors of subtle strawberry, white peach, melon, red delicious apple….fresh squeeze citrus acidity…mineral crunch…dried cherry and orange…..would have liked something that screams "Mourvedre" like some pine forest or underbrush….but all in all this is a tasty little Summer sipper, that went very well with a number of dishes. (91 pts.)
Buzz,

Thanks for coming into my tasting room - sooooo bummed I missed you guys!!!!

Note that that Rose was only bottled two weeks ago. If last year's rendition is any indication, that 'mourvedre funk' will begin to show its stuff in a few more weeks . . .

Cheers!
larry schaffer
tercero wines

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#30 Post by larry schaffer » May 5th, 2014, 9:30 pm

B. Buzzini wrote:
Jane Crabill wrote:Buzz, you get credit for the Tercero (which sounds quite enjoyable) but the Turley Zinfandel is most likely from the hands of a male winemaker.
Sorry.....this better....
  • 2012 Tercero Roussanne Camp 4 Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley (5/5/2014)
    I'm use to Alban Roussannes..…no match strike reduction here….so this is a nice change of pace! Creamy and bright, not in your face style….perfectly ripe orchard fruit, with just a touch of tropicalness to it. Fresh citrus acidity dances with the cream…subtle complexities of white flowers, honeysuckle jam, honey butter, lite toasted marshmallow, candied lemon rind……refreshingly Rhone! Better at cellar temp to bring out more pronounced flavors and florals……nice one! (92 pts.)
Buzz,

LOVE the pics - and thanks for the note.

Just an FYI - I only like to pour this wine at cellar or even room temp so show off the texture and aroma of the wine. I have fallen madly in love with the variety and went from making just two barrels of the 2012 to having 9 barrels of the 2013 to play around with - and now from two different Santa Barbara County vineyards! Can't wait to get the next one into barrel later this summer and share it with you as well!!!

Cheers!
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Jane Crabill

#31 Post by Jane Crabill » May 6th, 2014, 9:16 pm

2006 MELVILLE SYRAH, ESTATE, VERNA'S, Santa Barbara County, CA. 15.3% abv. Dark purple color, dense and opaque. Dark berries and spice on the nose. On its own before dinner this is slightly "hot" and overpowering. With my dinner of broiled lamb chop and baked beans, it mellows a bit to bring out the best in the lamb. Long and peppery finish. Still drinking like a youthful wine. 86 or 87 points?
Fayetteville, NC

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by brigcampbell » May 7th, 2014, 7:33 am

Jane wants to donate more money! She's offered to extend the VTS for another week.

Thanks for your generosity, Jane.

Alan C h a n

#33 Post by Alan C h a n » May 8th, 2014, 4:55 am

Jane, I will try to open something for this over the weekend. Appreciate the prompt to examine what I have in my collection that's by female winemakers. Recently had some Evening Land and some Sylvie Esmonin, and need to reload on LdH... Have a feeling some of my Burgs are made by females but will have to look.
The Amateur Wino wine blog

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by J a y H a c k » May 9th, 2014, 2:38 pm

I have had a horrible cold for the entire week so I could not participate, BUT with the extension, I think we will get to play along.

Birk O'Halloran

#35 Post by Birk O'Halloran » May 9th, 2014, 3:00 pm

Chris Seiber- Great call on A Tribute to Grace. Amazing wines. Her rose has to be one of my favorite I've tasted this year.
Owner Iconic Wine-Author Eat Ink

craig v
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by craig v » May 10th, 2014, 8:13 am

2012 Peay Vineyards Chardonnay Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (5/9/2014)
Sort of a maturing gold color and open nose of vanila and citrus aromas. This is sort like drinking a $70 Kistler Chardonnay for $42. Highly concentrated and I mean packed with lip smacking citrus, orchard fruit and a sense of minerality. Not as much acid as I'd prefer but enough to keep this fresh and very identifiably, CA Chardonnay. I had just finished a glass of Roederer Mendicino Brut just prior to my first sip of the Peay and it came off a tad oaky at first compared to the likely almost unoaked Roederer Brut. After about 10 minutes of sipping I no longer noticed the oak in any measurable way. All in all, worth it but, I was hoping for a wine that is a little more light on it's feet from Peay and the Sonoma coast. 13.4% Alc was good. For my palate and wallet I'm going back for the more sevelte, more complex $23 2012 Au Bon Climat Santa Barbara County Chardonnay I had earlier this week. (92 pts.#
2012 Au Bon Climat Chardonnay Santa Barbara County - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County #5/7/2014#
After about a year on Rochioli's SV list I reallized I liked the chards more than the vaulted Rochioli SV PNs. Then I reallized that as much as I liked the SV Chards they were almost as overpriced as the PNs so I dropped off the list completely after waiting six years to make it. NO regrets. Rochioli makes some nice wines. Nice $40 wines that sell for $70 plus. Anyway, this Chard very much reminds me of a Rochioli SV Chard except, I only paid $22 for it. This is CA Chardonnay not white Burgundy but, it has terrific balance, focus,complexity and verb. 13.5% Alc, fascinating tropical fruit combined with refined citrus flavors makes this very satisfying. Nothing flabby or overtly oaky about this. #93 pts.)
c vanderah

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by brigcampbell » May 10th, 2014, 6:11 pm

Hit for the cycle, a double and a single. The sea smoke was the double as it was made by kris curran.
  • 2008 Foxen Syrah Toasted Rope - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley (5/10/2014)
    Surprised how light colored and weight with this wine. It's not a bad thing but not what you'd expect from SBC. Dark garnet but decent clarity. Cedar and sweet dark fruit aromas. Medium plus weight with a sweet cherry core. Cedar on the finish with red licorice.
  • 2007 Sea Smoke Pinot Noir Southing - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills (5/10/2014)
    Slightly reductive funky Pinot nose which doesn't blow off, thankfully. Pushing the darker side of Pinot. Nose leads you to believe it might be older. Good earth notes. Palate is driven by a mild sweet cherry and pine notes with very fine tannins. Slightly aggressive oak or stem finish. Tough not to enjoy this wine.

Peter Kleban
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Peter Kleban » May 10th, 2014, 6:38 pm

**Chambolle-Musigny 2010
“Les Feusselottes”
1er Cru
Cécile Tremblay

Yum! Took a few minutes to open fully, but very very nice. Interesting, good structure, great balance.
Bob Wood:
"Peter..your well-reasoned words were a waste of time."
WsOTY:
G Marsella Fiano Avellino '15
Petrolo Galatrona '13
Danl Dampt & Fils Chablis 1er Côte Léchet '16
D Ph Charlopin Gevrey-Chamb Evocelles '11
Vigot Vosne-Romanée Chalandins '16
Patricia Green Mysterious '16
Paetra Pinot Blanc Coast Rng '18
Terrien Chardonnay '15

Jane Crabill

#39 Post by Jane Crabill » May 11th, 2014, 5:12 pm

Good on you Craig. I was forgetting about Vanessa Wong at Peay. I have a bottle of Peay Chardonnay somewhere but won't get to it this week. Same with Katy Wilson's wines from LaRue Wines. I'm finishing my contributions with a Babcock Pinot Noir from Santa Barbara County.
Fayetteville, NC

Jane Crabill

#40 Post by Jane Crabill » May 11th, 2014, 9:05 pm

2010 BABCOCK PINOT NOIR SLICE OF HEAVEN, RITA'S CROWN VINEYARD, STA. RITA HILLS, SANTA BARBARA COUNTY, CA. 13.7% alcohol by volume. Rita's Crown Vineyard is one of the highest elevation plantings in the Sta. Rita Hills AVA with Pinot Noir and Chardonnay grapes.
The wine is darkly colored and nearly opaque. The nose suggests a handful of mixed dark berries including mulberries and blueberries. On the palate some cardamom provides accents for the dark fruit flavors. I think I'm picking up some oak notes too.
The overall impression I had was of something rich, robust and rewarding. This is not a dainty Pinot but it is pleasurable.
Fayetteville, NC

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » May 12th, 2014, 2:34 pm

There's a 2004 Corison Cabernet Sauvignon and a 2007 Lamborn Cabernet Sauvignon open and ready for tonight's dinner. So far two small tastes show Cathy Corison's wine is all about classic cab, while the Lamborn made by the esteemed Heidi Peterson Barrett is certainly modern, but not over the top.

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » May 12th, 2014, 5:09 pm

Update: the Corison is very complex, and reminds me of old school Monte Bello or Montelena. The Lamborn is rich, but balanced and has plenty of potential for further development. Drink the Corison now or in the near future, and hold the Lamborn for 3-5 years.

Erich Sachse
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by Erich Sachse » May 12th, 2014, 8:12 pm

Two more nice QPRs from SBC -- I've been enjoying a few bottles from the Tercero BerserkerDay reds case -- so far the Mourvedre is my favorite...

2006 Siduri Pinot Noir Clos Pepe Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills (5/10/2014)
nose shows cranberry and other red fruits, earth, but smells slightly heat damaged (PALCB closeout) with a touch of caramelization. palate is quite charming. med(+) acid creates a very refreshing palate, which shows lots of red fruit and also has some herbal notes. heat damage is not as evident on the palate. medium finish leaves acid behind that works well with food. Very nice, especially for the $24 closeout price, even if some of the bottles may not be 100%. (89 pts.)

2009 Tercero Syrah Larner Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley (5/8/2014)
Drank over two days. Captivating nose shows primarily red fruit (plum) with some floral notes that give this some lightness and incense in the background. Both red and black berry fruit come through on the palate. This goes better with food thanks to the med(+) acidity level. A touch of heat develops on the finish. Although the palate is a bit of a letdown after the beautifully complex nose, this is still a great wine, especially for the price! (90 pts.)

RogerHarui
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by RogerHarui » May 13th, 2014, 4:29 am

• 2006 Carol Shelton Wines Zinfandel Karma Zin Rue - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (5/13/2014)
    Smoke and earth on the nose followed by raspberries, blueberry compote, some brambly blackberries, and a little vanilla. The palate has sweet black fruit, a good dose of vanilla, some earth, and spice. Nice acidity at the end that keeps it lively. Nice finish. While not as overtly fruity as it was a few years ago, this wine is still quite delicious and super easy to drink. (90 pts.)

Doug Hein

#45 Post by Doug Hein » May 14th, 2014, 10:33 am

Late to the party and first post. I love Cathy Corison's wines. Here are a few notes:
  • 1998 Corison Cabernet Sauvignon Kronos Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley (8/7/2013)
    Wow! Being a burgundy and Bordeaux lover, this wine is like the best of both combined into a single wine. It has the core flavors of Bordeaux with the bright acidity and red fruit of burgundy, but lacking the interesting burgundy forest floor or mushrooms. Very long complex finish with lingering red fruit. Medium intense red with moderate legs. Silky tannins still showing some grip but well integrated. The acidic structure predominated initially but the wine opened up nicely over the course of a couple hours showing its nicely integrated fruit and Bordeaux like minerality. This wine would pair well with a wide range of savory meat dishes, especially lamb chops or rack of lamb. A unique world class wine. (93 pts.)
  • 2005 Corison Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley (8/11/2013)
    Dark purple with dark fruit aromas and some minty notes. Wine opened up quickly to reveal blackberry and cassis with some herbal notes and sufficient acidity to carry the wine nicely. Tannins were smooth and well integrated. Long finish. (91 pts.)
  • 1989 Corison Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley (1/16/2014)
    What a lovely surprise! Pop decant and pour. Lots of fruit up front but elegant and feminine. Lively and no tiredness. Medium red with no obvious bricking. Medium legs. Initially dark fruits like plum, blackberry and dark cherry. Later red berries and hints of apple balanced by a well integrated tartness from the acid. This wine tastes like a well aged burgundy or barbaresco. A nice touch of oak, mild mushroom and leather. Very enjoyable. (92 pts.)

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » May 14th, 2014, 12:17 pm

Thanks for the 2005 Corison note. I have one bottle, so it's good to read someone's recent impressions.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#47 Post by Todd F r e n c h » May 14th, 2014, 12:56 pm

Had a fantastic 2010 Keever Cabernet Sauvignon, made by Celia Welch, last night...needed much more air than we gave it, but it was spectacular. Restrained but complex, very velvety, and the finish was probably the best part of the wine.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by brigcampbell » May 15th, 2014, 6:09 am

Jane, thank you for this thread and your generous donations.

What is the final talley? Good to see all the women winemakers.

Alan C h a n

#49 Post by Alan C h a n » May 16th, 2014, 7:16 pm

Can I get one more in under the wire?
  • 2008 Arcadian Pinot Noir Fiddlestix Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills (5/16/2014)
    Once again, underrated Arcadian impresses. This wine is already showing some evolution and gosh darn if it doesn't show a heck of a lot like a very fine Burgundy from a ripe vintage. There's leather, earth, a touch of exotic spice and delineated reddish fruits here. Only a touch of strawberry-ripe surmaturité gives this away as a Santa Rita Hills wine. If Burgs blow beyond my reach price wise, wines like this would have me okay with it. 92-93 (92 pts.)
The Amateur Wino wine blog

Jane Crabill

#50 Post by Jane Crabill » May 22nd, 2014, 1:52 pm

I counted Alan Chan's final note. The tally was fourteen notes on wines from women winemakers (I gave one credit for Doug's three notes on Corison wines from CellarTracker because the wines weren't consumed during the first two weeks of May 2014 but I thought the effort deserved some credit.) That accounts for a $140 gift I will be sending this week to International Rescue Committee. Thanks all!
I also tallied fourteen notes on wines from Santa Barbara County grapes (some wines received credit in both categories as they were Santa Barbara grapes and a female winemaker.) That means $140 for the C.A.R.E. clinic of Cumberland County (Fayetteville) NC. I'm sure the clinic will be appreciative.

Jane
Fayetteville, NC

Return to “Wine Talk”