Wine Tasting at Chez Winebozo ('96 Bordeaux, '98 Bordeaux, '99/'01 Washington and Cal Cabs)

I invited 14 wine friends over for a 3 flight, horizontal wine tasting. The themes were ’96 Bordeaux (Medoc), ’98 Bordeaux (Right Bank) and a mix of ’99 Washington Cabs and ’01 California Cabs. Each flight had 6 wines. The wines were bagged and randomly numbered within each flight. We spent about 30 minutes on each flight, chatted about them, voted on favorites and second favorites, tallied the results and then revealed the wines. Here are the results:

We started with some Pol Roger Champagne (NV). If it’s good enough for Winston, than it is good enough for me.

’96 Bordeaux – Medoc (in order of composite group scoring)

1. Montelena Cabernet (Ringer)
  2. Cos d’Estournel
  3. Ducru-Beaucaillou
  4. Montrose
  5. (tie) Calon Segur and Pichon Lalande

Comments: Okay, if you are going to get super picky and technical, Montelena isn’t a Bordeaux. But for those who know me, slipping in a ringer is something I usually can’t resist. It did stand out as the spiciest and ripest of the wines with no hint of brett. Funny, on one hand, the ’96 Cal Cabs generally can’t hold a candle to the ‘95s, but I’ve usually enjoyed them much more than the ‘97s which, overall, haven’t aged worth a damn (’97 was a comically over-rated vintage, in my opinion.) And that can’t be said of the other wines. Hmmm, since this was a French flight, maybe I should talk about them. The Ducru showed the most brett (not a surprise), but it seemed fairly well integrated into what was a very French and very interesting bottle of wine. A whole lot of cedar on both this and the Cos. I’ve always loved the ’96 Cos and have opened a stupid number of these over the years. It makes me smile. This is the first bottle in my experience that has begun to taste at its peak. Or maybe even peaking slightly over to the downhill side. But only a tiny bit. I’ve got about 8 of these left and will be drinking them up over the next couple of years. And the Montrose, Calon and Pichon Lalande all were funky, fading and not so much fun. The Pichon was especially disappointing. I also opened a Pichon Baron but it was the poster child for corked.

’98 Bordeaux - Right Bank (in order of composite group scoring)

1. Angelus
  2. La Dominique
  3. Tertre Roteboeuf
  4. Troplong Mondot
  5. (tie) Bon Pasteur and Pavie

Comments: This was a yummy flight. What a shock that the Angelus came out on top. Not. ’98 Right Bank Bordeaux have always been pleasers, at least for me. These things rocked upon release and are still delivering. They’ve never really shut down and gotten dumb either (sniff, I love Merlot!). The La Dominique was the value wine of the night. I opened one of these a year ago and was so wowed I tracked down a half case and we’ve polished those off over the last year. The Tetra Roteboeuf was the wine that changed the most over the course of the tasting. Started out rather reticent and funky, but with 20 to 30 minutes in the glass, the funk blew off and the fruit really opened up. In fact, I’m drinking it and the Troplong Mondot the next day as I type this. Top to bottom, pretty wines, still lots of fruit and a polish and balance that I’ve always appreciated from this vintage (in those specific Right Bank communes.)

’99 Washington Cabernet/’01 Cal. Cab. (in order of composite group scoring)
I. ’01 Mondavi Reserve
2. ’01 Pavie (ringer)
3. ’99 Matthew’s Cellars Elerding Cabernet
4. ’99 Leonetti
5. ’99 Woodward Canyon
6. ’01 Montelena

Comments: So, I had to sneak the ’01 Pavie into this flight because many years ago I was at a tasting of the top end ’01 Cal Cabs (Screagle, Harlan, Colgin, blah, blah, blah) and an ’01 Pavie was the Bordeaux ringer. And it blew the Cal Cabs away. Not even a fair fight. And it would have done it again if not for that little cult garage wine known as Mondavi. I know, who would have predicted this. In my scoring, I rated the Pavie just ahead of the Mondavi, but the crowd really like the extracted and surprising complexity of the Mondavi. The Matthew’s Cellars held its own quite nicely. Before I revealed the wines, I mentioned that there was a Leonetti in the mix. Everyone looked at me and basically said, “No way. None of these wines are exploding with dill pickle!” The Woodward Canyon was almost Port like. A bit reductive, huge fruit and was extremely polarizing. And the Montelena was just plain shut down in my opinion.

Finishing Wines: ’99 Guigal Luminescence Condrieu, ’99 Matthew’s Cellars Late Harvest Riesling, NV Rare Wine Co. Jefferson Maderia

Comments: The only thing more idiotic than hanging onto old dry Viognier is holding onto old sweet Viognier. Gag city. Chateau Ipecac. The Matthew’s dessert wine was still alive and kicking, but with none of the complexity of an older German Riesling. And the Rare Wine Jefferson bottling that just came out was a bit underwhelming. I really like their New York (Malmsey) and Boston (Boal) bottles. This one, eh.

Fun evening. Made a white bean and leg of lamb stew, a savory asparagus bread pudding, a chicken liver pate, friends brought a rockin’ cheese tray, a big spinach and citrus salad, the lovely Mrs. Wine Bozo made many yummy swing things. Not too old for this yet, thank goodness.

Best,

David

Thanks, David. As cool as the wines sounded, that meal sounded better! White bean stew is one of my favorite meals, but I’ve never had it with lamb. Must have paired great with those wines.

Your’s is one of several posts lately that raved about the '98 right banks. This was a vintage I missed as we had a brand new baby plus other life issues, and I never came around to back fill. Where did you find the La Doms?

Thanks for the notes on the very good flights of wines that you had.

I’ve had a smattering of '96 Bordeaux over the years, including 4 from your lists above, mostly in vertical tastings-dinner or with meals at home, and can’t recall instances when I would refer to them as funky nor fading. As far my recent experiences are concerned, I still see them as needing more cellar time to bring out more complexity and be more enjoyable that they presently were.

I also remember having the '96 Ducru on 2 occasions, one of which was my bottle, and brett was not apparent.

I also like the '98 RBs and it’s good to read your positive data points.

I’m totally perplexed by your notes on the '96 Bordeaux, as they bear no similarity to my own experience. The 1996 Pichon Lalande was the greatest young PL I ever had and on a par with any of the first growths but Lafite. A bottle tasted blind last year showed surprisingly little evolution, and was still characterized by the crystalline pure fruit that made it so beguiling on release. I don’t expect it to come close to peaking for at least 10 to 15 years. I haven’t found the Calon anywhere close to peak either.

Thanks for the notes. I’ve had all the '96 Bordeaux in your flight and some multiple times. Never got any brett on any of them. None are fading especially the Calon Segur which IMO shows the youngest of all of them.

If these 96 Bordeaux are truly fading I would consider it a strong sign of the apocalypse.