Bourgogne can be such a great value!

• 2009 Domaine Jean-Michel Gaunoux Bourgogne - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne (4/26/2014)
    What I said in Novemeber except I’m liking this wine a smidge more still. I hope they offer more of this at Envoyer. This is the year I buy more of these sub $30 Bourgognes from the right producers in the right vintages. Paid $25, drinks like $40 plus. (90 pts.#
  • 2009 Domaine Jean-Michel Gaunoux Bourgogne - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne #11/12/2013#
    I bought this btl with the purpose of trying this producer without making a big investment. PnP. I very much enjoyed this and found it a stellar example of the perfectly ripe fruit from '09. This was chambolle like with a bowl full of fresh ripe cherries and spice. Very pretty and at $25 a much better wine than you generally find in CA for this money. I’d buy this again. #89 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I like Bourgogne wines too. Wallet friendly and no need to wait a decade plus to drink 'em.

Thanks for the notes.

And I am on the other side of the scale here - I think that 9 out of every 10 Bourgogne Rouges on the market are light, prematurely dried out and just void of flavor. I have been going through a mixed case of 2009 Bourgogne Rouges and haven’t like one yet - poured half of them down the drain after a day or two - and the only Bourgogne Rouges that I like usually are higher priced in the 1er Cru range (Dugat etc) -

I would much rather drink an old vine Grenache (or Cru Beaujolais) from the south of France where the same dollars get you 20 times the wine.

Tom, I think it “depends”. Depends on the producer and style of Pinot Noir you prefer. I like my PNs more ethereal, feather weight and red fruited. I find a lot of Bourgognes in that camp. I’m not a big fan of the full bodied, rich, oaky PNs like the two Dugats make. So that may explain our difference of opinion on Bourgogne. I do agree though that you occassionally hit a clunker that is dried out or chewy but that seems tied to the producer, vintage or terroir or a combo of those aspects. In Burgundy, producer selection is crtitical, IMO. I too, love Cru Beaujolais and have heard the same criticisms waged there too. I’m selective in Beaujolais too about producer.

Had the 2012 Nicolas Potel bourgogne at Fig & Olive last night for $54 [shock.gif] and was a decent wine and worked with the food but what a ripoff! I didn’t know its true value (around $15) until this morning. There are a lot of good value bourgogne’s out there that fit my likes.

Tom, I was just in Chicago on business and drinking from the list. In Minneapolis I always byob. Corkage here is typically around $15. It was tough trying to find value on the list this week. Ate solo at 2 semi spendy restaurants. I ended up drinking a glass of a very decent, no name, Vouvray for $11 and a glass of JP Droin AOC Chablis for $15. Also had a nice glass for Alborino for $13 and another Chablis at $15. I was eating all seafood.

pretty place with mehhh food.

Hi,

Good value dépends on the price… Could you share the cost of these wines with us please if you remember?

Alex R.

Both $25 but drank like $40+ IMO.

I drink Jadot’s bourgogne “Pinot Noir” all the time which I source from costco for around $13. Stocked up on the 2009 and it’s drinking quite nicely. I’m with you Craig, I like the lighter, red fruited, food friendly versions of pinot and there are lots available to fit the bill. Recent purchases include Faiveley bourgogne @ $18, Faiveley Mercurey village @ $20 and Drouhin Rully village @ $24.

[cheers.gif]

We love Bourgogne, as well as HCDN, and HCDB. Producers matter greatly though.

Tom Moore: “Had the 2012 Nicolas Potel bourgogne at Fig & Olive last night for $54 and was a decent wine and worked with the food but what a ripoff! I didn’t know its true value (around $15) until this morning. There are a lot of good value bourgogne’s out there that fit my likes.”
I just purchased three bottles of this wine for $14.99 a bottle (before sales tax.) Glad to hear you found it a decent wine.

We’ve been through about a case of 2010 M. Roche de Bellene (made by the REAL N. Potel) Bourg which I picked up for sub $20 a bottle. It’s great stuff.

Lafarge 2002 was remarkable. Some good wines at this level.

Was it Roche de Bellene or labeled Potel? The Roche de Bellene Bourgognes (I’ve had 2010 and 2011) are drop dead gorgeous and $19.99 or less. Potel no longer makes the wines bearing his name, so not too surprising that it would be meh. Never had them, but $54 at a restaurant seems like about 2.5x markup, which is about standard for the industry.

champagne.gif

The 2010 Domaine Parent Bourgogne is a terrific wine and also below the $20 mark. Probably the best Bourgogne in recent memory for me.

They can be a great value or not. And it seems like many of the ones I liked are going away.

I had this (or was it the 2011?) at Tessa on the UWS a couple of weeks ago. They were out of my first choice (a Bouvier Fixin) so I tried this, my first Parent. It was very easy to drink, unlike many young Bourgogne which can be burly and have grainy tannins. It was a very good restaurant wine, which is pretty much all I’m looking for in a Bourgogne.

Heres the wine and its available retail for $15 all over the place. It was good but…
http://www.nicolas-potel.fr/Fiches%20techniquesGB/FTNPGB%20-%2048%20D%20-%20Bourgogne%20Rouge%202012%20Nicolas%20Potel.pdf

The scenery at this Newport Beach hangout made it worth it though [snort.gif]