2011 Dehlinger PN

Has anyone popped a 2011 Dehlinger pinot yet?

How was it?

Haven’t opened any of mine, but I did taste both the Goldridge and Altamont at the pickups last fall and two weeks ago. They were very good, what you would expect from Dehlinger. I don’t think it would be a mistake to open either any time, though they should both improve with some years.

Also tasted the 2011 Goldridge and Altamont, I could drink now or sit on them for another 2-3 years. Just wish I could afford more! (Seems to be a theme for me hah). On the cheaper side of life the Pinot Noir Rose was quite nice got a couple of those to go.

I’ve been drinking Dehlinger Pinot noir since 1990. For my palate, they seem to drink really well in the four to seven year window. There are exceptions (I am holding a 1997 Octagon) but this has worked well for us. I have not tsted the 2011s.

Hi Pete, welcome to the board.

For my taste, these are best after 10 years. The past few years, the 01s have been my favorites, and a few nights ago I had a 99 Goldridge that I thought was fantastic. I’m not sure I’ve found the end of the window yet. I thought I knew it based on a tasting I attended years ago, but now I think that provenance caused the older wines in that tasting to show worse.

I tend to be more in Craig’s camp that they are best with more age, but it’s totally just personal preference, as they don’t go through any sort of closed or awkward phase.

And the ways they change over time are subtle and very gradual; blind, I’d probably have a tough time picking a 2001 from a 2008 or something.

Great wines, anyways.

I had a Goldridge 2011 Pinot the other day, and it was lovely. We also had a 2011 Rochioli (my fave 2011 Pinot) and it was very, very close in terms of quality.

I don’t think you can say their Pinots all cruise to 10 years of age. The 06 Estate recently was underwhelming and I am a huge Dehlinger fan.

Tom

I have been working thru my 06 Estate. In what area do you feel it underwhelmed?

Glenn, checked my notes on Cellatracker and it was actually the '06 Goldridge that underwhelmed. It just lacked the texture and mouth feel that I think makes Dehlinger so special. I’ll try to open an '06 Estate soon and post to this thread.

Tom