American Wine Story

Looks interesting!

[vimeo]75868308[/vimeo]

For those that don’t know, most (if not all) of the stories that get covered are Willamette Valley producers. I’m excited to see this come out, as I’m getting to the point where I’m ready to leave the “real job”, and start our own label, so this really resonates with me.

The photography looks beautiful on this! And if the full documentary is as passionate as the trailer, it looks to be a really nice film. I googled around a bit and discovered that they used a kickstarter (which is now closed) to fund some of it – I mention this because their pitch video gives a brief behind-the-scenes look, including the fact that they’ve used drones to shoot some of the footage (which is kind of cool in my geeky opinion): https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/3cm/american-wine-story

Some Berserkers in there!

The wine store shot looked like Hi Times in Costa Mesa.

I’m headed to the premier on Saturday in Newport Beach. Lot’s of people I know in there.

If you’re coming to IPNC this summer, there will be a special screening and dinner on Thursday July 24th at the IMAX theater in McMinnville - details coming soon, I am told…

Where in Newport? Looks like it should be good.

Fashion Island Cinema
http://newportbeach2014.festivalgenius.com/2014/films/americanwinestory_davidbaker_newportbeach2014

Saw this yesterday and was very well made with some good story lines. I have felt the urge to be a winemaker most of my adult life so this hit home for sure. Movie seemed to focus a lot on Jimi Brooks and his namesake winery - and his subsequent death. Very moving storyline but maybe a bit too much of this and not enough of “that”. Mike Officer and his Carlisle wines have a large part and shares a bit about how difficult it is to make a living in the business. Dick Erath, one of the true pioneers of Oregon wine, was great as well. Touched briefly on some wineries in Arizona, Missouri and Virginia but not really enough to understand them.
One of the interviews with the couple making wine in Virginia I thought was interesting though. They were in the corporate world and flying in a private airplane and experienced trouble mid flight. At one point they thought they were going to crash and die. During this 30 minute period it dawned on them that they were not ready to go. They had always wanted to live the winemaker life and when they successfully landed they sold everything and started a winery. Now thats a wake up call!
Overall very enjoyable and at times quite moving - I recommend it to anybody interested in wine and where it comes from.

Nice story about the documentary. Mike Officer and Alan Baker give some quotes, too…

Looks great. I will most definitely check it out when it comes around.
Love the use of drones in the photography. Technically (from a photographer’s pov) it looks very well done.
I always love learning about passionate people doing what they love to do.

Any WB’ers going to see this at the Raven in Healdsburg on the 12th??

You are correct. My 15 seconds of fame.