A visit to Matello

The other day at a lunch, I asked Jim Anderson of Patricia Green to name a winery in the Willamette Valley I probably don’t know and should visit. He immediately said ‘Matello.’ This turned out to be a bomb of a reccie. We really enjoyed the wines and absolutely loved some (like the white field blend from Whistling Ridge Vineyard.)

A VISIT TO MATELLO - Mcminnville, Oregon (4/17/2014)

• 2011 Matello Whistling Ridge Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge
    Deiss-like field blend co-fermented.
    Bright pineapple, tart and really crystalline. Clean finish and herbal notes. Really nice. I liked this a lot.
  • 2012 Matello Caprice - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Yamhill-Carlton
    Industrial nose like Commes des Garcons #2. Good upfront acidity and fruit, but a bit small on the palate. Nice though.
  • 2012 Matello Chardonnay Durant Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills
    Light nose with some yeasty notes and slight match. Very square and delineated in a correct fashion. Good tropical fruit acids and a palate-touch that builds in a very pleasing fashion. Not extravagant but nails core values.
  • 2011 Matello Chardonnay Whistling Ridge Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge
    Great mouth feel. Not-sweet peaches and layers off a Asian savory fruit vibe. A bit loose on structure (been open 4 days, to be fair). Overall quite good.
  • 2011 Matello Pinot Noir - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley
    Grapefruit - tart with slight bitter. Great nervosity and vibe here. Good body, a bit short on finish.

• 2012 Matello Pinot Noir Lazarus - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley
    Big fruit on the nose and palate. Not hot and holds a nice precision. Really neat textures of soft jeweler’s rouge leading to a slight prickle. Dug the fruit going here as big w/o being sloppy.
  • 2012 Matello Pinot Noir Hommage - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley
    WOW. Stylish and overt fruit, really standing proud. Currants and some smoke. Cloaked power and finishes with cloves, tart cherry. I really loved this.
  • 2011 Matello Pinot Noir Lazarus - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley
    Very taut and square. Good strawberry notes on the palate and nose. Great balance between that fruit and the square profile. Neat.
  • 2011 Matello Pinot Noir Durant - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills
    Bright acids and stemmy qualities in texture and taste. Some menthol notes in balance. Very pure and linear with a lovely grace.
  • 2011 Matello Pinot Noir Souris - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley
    Rich, almost vanilla on nose. Roasted pie fruit. Has a very plunging velvet neckline profile A really great tension between that profile and a linear purity. Very good.

Posted from CellarTracker

I couldn’t agree more. I had the opportunity to visit and taste at Matello with Marcus Goodfellow last August. I tasted through most of his wines and found them to definitely be a highlight of my WV holiday. His pinots are exceptional with crisp acidity, excellent balance and good ageing potential.

I recently came across a couple of bottles of the 2009 Winter’s Hill. Might need to do a test drive.

Glad you found Matello. Marcus is making some nice wines. The others in his space are well worth your time - Grochau Cellars, Love & Squalor in particular. Note - these are all friends but I’m not into recommending things that aren’t good, so check the out.

Pardon me but what are textures of soft jeweler’s rouge? You mentioned this more than once and I don’t understand.

No matter what that “rouge” is, Marcus makes some delicious wines. Thoughtful of Jim to recommend Matello. I’ve always been impressed by the support and cooperation many OR producers share.

RT

Cooperation is better than confrontation. Grow the pie instead of fight over it, and improve the product. These smaller quality producers seem to sell all their wine. If I do not buy on release, it’s gone. The big dogs are moving in and I hope the smaller ones do not become the fire hydrant. [snort.gif]

(I accidentally cut-and-pasted the note for 2012 Lazarus into 2011. Fixed.)

Jeweler’s rouge is powdered ferric oxide. It is used to give a final polish. I find it has a very distinct texture I can almost taste and this wine had something that I could only approximate with that.

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing. Tasting with Marcus in February was a highlight tasting for me this year. His white sines slaughtered me. Yum.

J