Merry love?

Any Merry Edwards love out there? I drank a bunch starting out about 5 yrs ago but have not revisited since…too many wines, so little time…

I’ve been on the mailing list for a long time but don’t drink the wines frequently. I mostly purchase the Pinots. I have met Ms. Edwards on several occasions in North Carolina and Sonoma County and admire her as a pioneering female winemaker in California and her dedication to her craft. I actually plan to open one of the Merry Edwards Pinot Noirs the first week in May, possibly one of the single vineyard wines from 2006 or 2008.

Yes on her Pinots…

HUGE yes on the Sauv Blanc in the summer. It’s a staple at my house.

Maybe the best SB from the US I’ve had.

I agree with SB fans. Think she is great. I don’t buy her pinots, too many other options there, but her SB is a staple in my house.

I love her Sauv Blanc, as it’s made in a somewhat uncommon style. It’s barrel fermented and aged in oak (18% new) for 6 months, also undergoing malolactic. Some consider it a sauv blanc for Cali chardonnay lovers.
Her pinots are also quite good and a made in more of a fuller-bodied style. Note that they require a minimum of 5 years ageing post-vintage to show well, IMO. I find them reasonably priced, but have not repurchased since our trip to the winery.

I’ve had a single bottle of ME Sauv Blanc and it may have been my best experience with the grape. My wife and I were having lunch at Nepenthe on a cloudless summer day passing through from Paso Robles on our way to San Francisco. We ordered a 375 and just sat there marveling at the Pacific - the wine seemed utterly perfect in that moment. Perhaps many wines would.

I’ve seen it on shelves since here in the east but have not really been tempted to buy. Only in California, I suppose. In June we’ll be in Sonoma and I certainly plan on stopping by and tasting through the entire lineup. Does anyone have experience aging ME whites?

I have been tempted but the SB costs $50 here which turned me off.

Her SB is amazing. I served it at my wedding, as the perfect bridge wine for all palates.

Recently had the 2008 Klopp Ranch pinot - loved it!

I bought a bunch of her Pinots for pennies on the dollar at auction after enjoying them young at a couple of wine bars/restaurants. Based on drinking through 3 or 4 cases including every single vineyard and across 2001-2007 vintages I would say these should be drunk before 7-8 years of age. I find this puzzling given her history (long time wine maker at Mt Eden) of making age able Pinots, and the quality of some of the vineyard sources. That said, i’d still probably buy a young one from time to time if i’m looking for an appealing voluptuous Pinot.

I do like the Sauvignon Blanc, but have no experience with aging it.

Clayton

I’ve got a 5 yr vertical of the SB’s in the cellar. Will check in on the 07 this Summer and report back.

I visited last year and had a very nice experience at that tasting. I bought some of her 2010 single vineyard Pinots: Meredith, Flax (my favorite)and Klopp. They are full-bodied and rich, but very well made and with everything in balance. As others have noted, the SB is delicious.

I thought that in the '09 and '10 vintages, but must say, found the '11 and ‘12 too sweet, a bit flabby. I agree with your latter point, everyone I pop it for LOVES it. My friends’ wives now demand it! I therefore buy it. The label is cool too.

SB’s are the KILLER wines…Pinots have fallen off my radar…

The first time I tasted the SB it changed my life, it showed me what the grape could be. Now, several years later, I’ve drank enough other great SBs to be able to ignore this one. It’s definitely good, but I’ve had several that were cheaper and better.

Don’t care for the Chardonnay or Pinot Noirs much.

Merry Edwards’ Meredith Estate was my first life-changing wine. I don’t remember the vintage, but it was around 2005. I’ve always loved her style of Pinot, although I’ve found they don’t age very well. If only she could find a cheaper shipping option, I’d be a regular buyer, but she’s on the very high end for shipping costs to Chicago.

That is saying something. To drink a wine that changed your life, and then discovered similar on par wines or better that are cheaper. What would those be?

Well the ME SB changed my life in that it was one of the first white wines that I “loved.”

Domestic Sauvignon Blancs that I’d choose over the ME are Massican, Le Pich, Round Pond, Lail Blueprint, Kenefick Ranch and Azur are the first that come to mind. As at least one other person mentioned, the ME SB has gotten a bit upfront and cloying for me.

Thanks Nolan. Looks like a couple of those are available locally. I’ll see what the price is here and hopefully try them out.