Oh S#!+ Tax Day Question

Quick question-does Ridge charge sales tax on MB futures? I am trying to finish my taxes, and forgot to check that.

I don’t use the online account with Ridge, so I can’t just pull it up. I’ve sent an e-mail, and wouldn’t be surprised to have an answer yet this morning from them, but if someone here just knows, I could submit the damn thing now.

Thanks.

Dang, how do I write off MY wine purchases on my taxes?

Tim,

It hold be in your invoice but I believe all wineries charge sales tax.

I assume you opt to deduct actual state sales taxes paid instead of deducting actual state income taxes paid (i.e., most beneficial in states with no income tax but sales tax).

Yeah, unless you get AMT - then it is a complete waste of time - because it will not take it anyway. Trust me - I killed hours gathering everything to find out nothing happened to what I owed. Doing everything i can to not turn this political :slight_smile:

I actually need the info more to complete the state tax return. Most, but not all, CA wineries charge WI sales tax up front for my orders, and I pay in for those that don’t.

Thanks.

Seems more likely that he’s computing the use tax he owes.

-Al

Use tax.

I promise to not make this political.

I’m TRYING…

I know all of the PA and NJ people who come to (sales tax free) DE to purchase wine pay use tax on their purchases. Of course.

I’m writing off pre-moxed white burgs, at this point it’s basically a gambling loss.

I think you can only net gambling losses against gambling wins, not against other income.

DISCLAIMER: I am not an accountant or a tax lawyer, so please don’t interpret this as tax advice.

For me, it doesn’t get to the point where I get to consider paying sales/use tax as a political, ideological or civic activity, or even just playing by the rules, though as an attorney I try to play by the rules if for no other reason than I think it’s harder for those of my ilk to claim we weren’t aware of them.

Because brass tacks, Wisconsin has the ability to track one’s direct purchases from wineries, and will try to collect if sales/use tax does not match their data. I believe this started with 2007, when they changed the shipping rules.

You would have to use the value of good white Burgs as gambling winnings? But only the increase in value since they were purchased.

pileon

These days, white burgs are a crapshoot. Come’on yeoh!

Oh yeah, ridge does charge tax for MB futures.

Can you write off non-delivered Premier orders after 3 years ? [stirthepothal.gif] [tease.gif]

Yes, but then you face recapture when they finally deliver. [wink.gif]

Thanks for the help and humor. [cheers.gif]

I’m a CPA w/ a MS in Taxation. We always joke that the NJ 1040 should come with pre-printed zeroes on the Use Tax line. Any individual that self assesses use tax is being ridiculous. Or they’re a Priest. There is no auditing mechanism for states to go after individuals for use tax. And even if their were, it wouldn’t be worth their valuable assets to do so. Businesses are another issue. We pay more use tax than we do sales tax.

In California, something between 0.5% and 1% of State returns pay use tax. It’s been slowly rising, used to be 0.3% or less. I’m part of the <1%. I personally know two other people who pay it, as well.

-Al

Yep… might as well fill out the 1040EZ once you get hit by the AMT. [swearing.gif]

George