What's your last delivery where you were really excited??

Was thinking about this today. I got a bunch of deliveries over the last month or so, almost all got packed away relatively quickly, even the more ‘special’ stuff (some '11 Fourrier ‘Griotte’, etc).
On last Friday, though, something came that caused me to really spend some time looking at the bottles, thinking about how great the wine will be in another few decades. I was actually really excited about the delivery!

a case of 2004 Mascarello Ca d’Morissio.

What’s the last delivery you got where you were genuinely excited to open the box and look at the bottles?

Last month. Received a case containing two bottles of Monfortino, four Giacosa red labels, a Quintarelli recioto, plus some mixed Giacosa white labels, Bartolo Mascarello, and Elio Altare. First time in a while that I haven’t kicked myself for the money I spent.

Always nice when you buy something, it comes, and you’re still happy about the purchase!

I was really pleased with a couple of 2011 Le Moine mags (one Mazis, one Amoureuses) that I was eager to unpack and gaze upon before putting away into long term storage. They came with some other '11 Burgs that were also pretty, but I don’t have many magnums in my collection. They seem more festive, so my imagination runs a little wilder thinking about what event in 10 years will deserve them.

A couple mixed-cases of entry-level grower Champagne. I buy more expensive wines, and grander ones, but it’s hard to get too giddy about '10 Jamet or something like that where I plan on waiting 10-20 years before really breaking into it. But the thought of having a couple cases of $40-60 grower Champagne that I can open guilt-free whenever I feel like Champagne (very frequently) – that’s pretty exciting.

I’m on a mission to expand my Old World horizons. So I’ve been buying assorted cases of European goodness from Rob Panzer of Down To Earth Wines. Receiving (and drinking) wines I’ve never had and that I know will also educate me is most fun to me these days. I’ve been placing a lot of small orders from other on-line retailers for grower Champaign, Barbaresco, Vouvray, etc. Sometimes, I feel like a kid on Christmas morning when I see the delivery truck pull up. Gotta keep it fresh.

What are some entry level grower Champagnes you’d recommend? I’ve been seeing the term around but haven’t really dug in yet to figure out a few worth trying. I adore champaign but mostly have been drinking the big names – eg. loved some '04 Roederer Cristal Brut I had recently.

I will be really happy when (if???) I ever get my 2011 Gonon mags from Crush.

Just about all of them. Got a couple cases of champagne from Envoyer, along with Rhys, Anthill and Realm spring shipments over the last couple of days. The 2011 Alesia Alder Springs Chard is on deck for tonight. There’s not a single bottle in that bunch that I’m not excited to try.

Back in the day, when I bought more from a retailer well known to this board, I often had a bit of “what triggered my to purchase this”. With most of the stuff that gets delivered these days coming from wineries, it’s all a bit more informed and intentful.

I seem to get more excited if I perceive it as a great deal. In my most recent case, some 1994 Chateau Beaucastel CdPs which were cheaper than new releases.

“every single one” - m. pobega :slight_smile:

I haven’t posted in ages, but this topic brought me out of the shadows. I recently received some Sandler pinots. I wasn’t really excited about the delivery. In fact, I forgot I had ordered these particular wines. I’ve never tried them before, but a bunch of berserkers were pretty excited about these wines and the price, so i figured I had to buy. Anyway, I decided to pop one immediately. Damn! what a fantastic expression of pinot. As delicious as it was, now I’m sad that I killed one so young - and sad that I didn’t buy more. Apparently, some of you do know what you’re talking about! [wink.gif]

lol. I am actually excited about every single delivery.

I’ve been backfilling Beaucastel from CC. I had stopped buying when prices jumped for the 98 but regretted it later after having some older ones and some great bottles of 01. I bought 01/07 a while back, and 99/10 recently. I was very excited about them and then the first bottle of 99 was corked! :frowning:

A mixed 6 pack of older Coche from a private collector. Mmmmm

Not as glamorous, but looking forward to my next pull from storage which will include all the recent Bedrock whites to replete my fridge and some selections from two new releases that are both new producers for me - Rivers Marie and Sojourn.

Sadly most of my interesting long-term storage bottles go straight from the store to storage. See you in a few years!

Nick, funny!!!

I’d say my son. When my daughter came along I already knew what a PITA parenthood was going to be, so I wasn’t all that excited. So my son. Yeah, definitely my son.

+1
I wouldn’t have bought it if I was not excited about it.
I am pretty excited about the next Envoyer

I love getting delivery of my wines. Not so much the everyday drinkers but the special bottles that go directly into the main cellar even though there is no room. Envoyer delivered 2000 and 2001 DRC Grands Echezeaux last week and PC delivered 98 Meo Richebourg.