2001 Bordeaux for drinking now

One of the tasting groups I’m in is doing a Bordeaux tasting soon. I’ve been told 2001’s are drinking pretty well now and I have access to Talbot, Pontet-Canet, and Canon-la-Gaffeliere. Any one know if any of those is in a better place right now than the others?

Also, I guess I should ask if there are other 2001’s that people like right now. Not looking for first growths but really looking for something that’s representative of Bordeaux. The ones I mentioned I know I can get, but I have no issues looking for things that people think are in a good place right now.

I drank a 2001 Grand Puy Lacoste this weekend - still very youthful but with decanting was very nice.

I had a Leoville Poyferre back in 2011 and it was lovely.

2001 Cos has always been excellent…

Thanks Diane and Andrew. I’ll look into those. Alex, my experience with Cos is that it’s normally pretty backward and tough when it’s younger. Is it really drinking well now?

you’re definitely on the right track with Canon-la-Gaffeliere. should be a treat. i’ll also throw in a plug for the Chevalier Blanc. amazing wine that’s only getting better.

Now that I look I’ve only had it twice, once in 2007 and again in February of last year. It was lovely on both occasions and imho didn’t come off as showing closed at all. Fwiw, each bottle had been decanted for a few hours though so not sure how well how it would perform if served immediately.

Rachel:

01 Cantemerle is drinking very nicely now, and I think the Pontet Canet should be ok with a decant (haven’t had one for about 6 months but the last was good albeit still a little primary).

I’d include this, very good and approachable a month or so ago, if your people like more AFWE Bordeaux:

2001 Château Pontet-Canet
Similar colour with a little more bricking at the rim. More expressive, spicy nose than the 2000. Aromas of underbrush, cigar box and black tea, with sour cherries. Also cedar and a clear herbal element (but not green or off aromas). On palate, bright, pure red fruits, with savoury flavours of tobacco, forest floor, sous bois and spice, the acids more obvious than for the 2000. Refreshing and approachable. A leaner, lighter bodied traditional style, that the English would call Claret. The pleasant, herby element also present in the mid palate. Sufficient structure and dry extract and nicely balanced, with the tannins perhaps a little more rustic than the 2000. The same on the second evening. A good food Bordeaux, drinking well now. I would drink in the next 5 years. 94.

Please post some TNs, whatever you choose.

Best, Howard

Every 2001 I’ve had over the last four plus years has been drinking well, on up through Cheval Blanc and Haut Brion.

I’m not saying they have peaked or won’t get better, but it seems like they all drink well. So I doubt you can go wrong.

I wish I had more 98s and 01s. But they were so good I drank most of them.

On Saturday I had a flight of 2001s with Troplong Mondot, Lascombes, and La Croix St. Georges. All drank young but were good with dinner. I thought the Troplong Mondot was in a particularly good place, though with many years to go.

That steers me towards suggesting the Canon La Gaffeliere for you.

Cheers,
Blair

Angelus recently was a little too young for my tastes, others loved it.

The Canon La Gafelliere is one of my favorite 2001’s and is drinking well. I also have enjoyed the Troplong, Vieux Chateau Certain, Sociando and the Pavie from the same vintage within the past 6 months. I would hold off on opening the Sociando as my notes suggest waiting a few more years before retrying.

I’m probably the most AFWE of the group. The Pontet Canet sounds like it’s a wine I would love, but I’m leaning towards the Canon la-Gaffeliere right now because I think it would go over better with everyone else (but it also sounds like a wine I’d love). I don’t have a lot of experience with 2001 but it does seem to be the type of vintage I like that’s filled with affordable wines that are drinking well. Thanks for the all the info.

The Canon la Gaffeliere is probably the way to go. The Sociando is, in my view, vegital, but that’s my view of every vintage of that wine. Had one this last week. One of these days I am going to give away the rest of mine.

A vintage I really like, both for the quality and the value. Wish I had bought more. Please post notes from this cool tasting!

Just posted below on the 2001 Canon la Gaffeliere, in French, and here’s the link: Canon la Gaffelière verticale (2002/1978) - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

As per Google translate:

Château Canon La Gaffelière Saint-Emilion Grand Cru Classé 2001
At the opening: DS16, 5/17 - PR15, 5 - PS16. AM Average rating: 16.1 After 5 hours of aeration: DS17 - LG16, 5/17 - CD17, 5 - MS16, 5. EVENING average rating: 16.9 With darker than 2002, opaque, shimmering slightly tuilés dress, 2001 even more focused on freshness and “vegetality” provided by the Cabernet, a high proportion in the Saint-Emilion flavors, with a land side and animal (meaty). So much so that we could almost imagine the right bank, in the Haut-Médoc Cru. These aromas accompanying notes of black fruits, but also more tertiary aromas, aging, such as tobacco, leaves, leather. In the mouth it is right, deeper, more powerful than the 2002, more structured too. A wine with plenty of flesh, very savory, and a long finish, “sappy”, accentuated not a light and pleasant bitterness.

Ramon, I had seen that thread and fumbled through it as best I could with my less-than-rudimentary French. Thanks for the translation!

No problem. Based on the TN, it sounds like a good wine.