Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help.

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Message
Author
User avatar
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20250
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am
Location: Podunk CA RRV

Re: Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help.

#401 Post by Brian Tuite » November 29th, 2018, 5:41 am

A Curcio wrote:
November 28th, 2018, 10:45 pm
Bergamot Alley closed :(

One of my favorite memories was winning their annual spelling bee - never even used the gift certificate!

newhere
Thank you, I’ve updated the listing.

I also added the new Russian River Brewing Brewpub/Tasting Bar/Retail Store/Brewery Facility in Windsor

If anyone sees wineries/Tasting Rooms/Restaurants/Lodging etc missing or businesses listed that are closed please bring it to my attention and I’ll update the OP. Thanks again!
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2020 WOTY Candidates

- 2018 Once & Future Old Hill Ranch

Andrew D.
Posts: 2
Joined: January 5th, 2019, 6:11 pm

Re: Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help.

#402 Post by Andrew D. » January 6th, 2019, 6:36 pm

Greetings all. My wife and I will be staying just outside of Healdsburg next month for a few days of vacation. Wondering if folks can point us to some good tasting rooms in the Plaza area. (We'll have three days of tasting available and won't be driving so don't be shy).

We like a bit of everything with perhaps a bit of a focus on Pinot, Chard, and Zin. We'd like to bring a few bottles back with us so places with bottle prices of $60 and under is preferred.

Also, any pizza/Italian places worth visiting?

Lastly, there's a gourmet sandwich shop in the Plaza that we really like. Can somebody provide the name of the store?

Giving back...from our trip last year to the area, our favorite was Joseph Jewell for Pinot. They have a nice tasting room in Forestville.

Thank you.
D o o n a n

User avatar
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20250
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am
Location: Podunk CA RRV

Re: Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help.

#403 Post by Brian Tuite » January 6th, 2019, 8:02 pm

Andrew D. wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 6:36 pm
Greetings all. My wife and I will be staying just outside of Healdsburg next month for a few days of vacation. Wondering if folks can point us to some good tasting rooms in the Plaza area. (We'll have three days of tasting available and won't be driving so don't be shy).

We like a bit of everything with perhaps a bit of a focus on Pinot, Chard, and Zin. We'd like to bring a few bottles back with us so places with bottle prices of $60 and under is preferred.

Also, any pizza/Italian places worth visiting?

Lastly, there's a gourmet sandwich shop in the Plaza that we really like. Can somebody provide the name of the store?

Giving back...from our trip last year to the area, our favorite was Joseph Jewell for Pinot. They have a nice tasting room in Forestville.

Thank you.
Joseph Swan
Nalle
Hartford Family
Inman

Sandwiches are great at Big John’s Market at H’brg Ave and Dry Creek Rd.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2020 WOTY Candidates

- 2018 Once & Future Old Hill Ranch

User avatar
Bryan Price
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 543
Joined: April 9th, 2017, 2:10 pm
Location: Coto de Caza, CA

Re: Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help.

#404 Post by Bryan Price » January 6th, 2019, 9:53 pm

Any point in tasting at Rochioli? Went there a few years ago and only got to taste 3 wines. Not going to pony up ~$100 on the SVDs if I can't try them first.
“To alcohol! The cause of...and solution to...all of life's problems.” - Homer Simpson

User avatar
Leonard Taylor
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 612
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 7:19 am
Location: Southeast US

Re: Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help.

#405 Post by Leonard Taylor » January 7th, 2019, 3:39 am

Bryan Price wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 9:53 pm
Any point in tasting at Rochioli? Went there a few years ago and only got to taste 3 wines. Not going to pony up ~$100 on the SVDs if I can't try them first.
We visited Rochioli last fall and they only tasted 3 wines. None of the single vineyard. But you will not be disappointed in plunking down the $$ for them I assure you. I have been buying them for a decade or more and they are always at the pinnacle of Cali pinots.
Leonard Taylor

User avatar
Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5703
Joined: June 3rd, 2009, 11:05 am
Location: flight Level 3 seven thousand. NYC Metro

Re: Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help.

#406 Post by Dan Hammer » January 9th, 2019, 4:33 pm

Andrew D. wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 6:36 pm

Greetings all. My wife and I will be staying just outside of Healdsburg next month for a few days of vacation. Wondering if folks can point us to some good tasting rooms in the Plaza area. (We'll have three days of tasting available and won't be driving so don't be shy).

Very close to the plaza > Holdredge. John has a fun tasting room, not to mention his wines are good. He's a board member, so if you contact him I would expect he'd comp your tasting. Welcome to Berserkers.
This space for rent.

T Welch
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3341
Joined: April 12th, 2010, 9:46 pm

Re: Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help.

#407 Post by T Welch » January 9th, 2019, 4:43 pm

The sandwich shop on the plaza might be Oakville Grocery.
T*R*U*E*T*T

Richard Albert
Posts: 781
Joined: November 16th, 2012, 2:49 pm
Location: Southernmost NorCal Wine Country

Re: Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help.

#408 Post by Richard Albert » January 15th, 2019, 7:12 pm

Bryan, they do not taste the SVD's cause they to not have to; some sold out out in hours last year.
Have you been offered an allocation?
ITB

User avatar
Bryan Price
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 543
Joined: April 9th, 2017, 2:10 pm
Location: Coto de Caza, CA

Re: Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help.

#409 Post by Bryan Price » January 15th, 2019, 8:07 pm

Richard Albert wrote:
January 15th, 2019, 7:12 pm
Bryan, they do not taste the SVD's cause they to not have to; some sold out out in hours last year.
Have you been offered an allocation?
I haven't Richard. I suspect I would really like Rochioli but have had limited chances to try it to see if it's worth the tariff. I stopped by the tasting room a couple of years ago and caught them at a bad time. They had just opened up and the wines were too cold and not aired out. Suffice to say even after warming it up in my hands they weren't anything to write home about but I'm all the more intrigued to try to the SVDs.
“To alcohol! The cause of...and solution to...all of life's problems.” - Homer Simpson

User avatar
Steve Anderson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 596
Joined: June 17th, 2009, 10:30 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help.

#410 Post by Steve Anderson » January 31st, 2019, 11:34 am

Andrew D. wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 6:36 pm
Greetings all. My wife and I will be staying just outside of Healdsburg next month for a few days of vacation. Wondering if folks can point us to some good tasting rooms in the Plaza area. (We'll have three days of tasting available and won't be driving so don't be shy).

We like a bit of everything with perhaps a bit of a focus on Pinot, Chard, and Zin. We'd like to bring a few bottles back with us so places with bottle prices of $60 and under is preferred.

Also, any pizza/Italian places worth visiting?

Lastly, there's a gourmet sandwich shop in the Plaza that we really like. Can somebody provide the name of the store?

Giving back...from our trip last year to the area, our favorite was Joseph Jewell for Pinot. They have a nice tasting room in Forestville.

Thank you.
Andrew:

On the Plaza: Lioco - nice Chards, Pinot and old vine Carignan, and great folks

Close by (1-2 blocks): Banshee, Siduri, Roadhouse (Eric Hall posts on WB - ericleehall), and Idlewild (Sam Bilbro/Italian Varietals)

Walking distance (maybe up to 8=10 blocks?): Ramey, Holdrege and Arnot Roberts. A-R may be a tougher appointment unless you are on their mailing list. I was also going to recommend Valdez, but looks like the H'burg tasting room may have closed after Ulises passed last fall. There are quite a few other tasting rooms in Healdsburg, but those are just a few that I would hit.

Cheers!

Steve
Delectable: Steve Anderson IG: steveandmisuk

User avatar
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20250
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am
Location: Podunk CA RRV

Re: Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help.

#411 Post by Brian Tuite » January 31st, 2019, 12:44 pm

Italian/Pizza
Diavola in Geyserville
Catelli’s in Geyserville
Rosso in Santa Rosa pizza/wine
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2020 WOTY Candidates

- 2018 Once & Future Old Hill Ranch

Jeff VanDenbussche
Posts: 24
Joined: February 5th, 2019, 7:12 am

Re: Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help.

#412 Post by Jeff VanDenbussche » February 5th, 2019, 8:21 am

We will be spending a few days in Sonoma the end of April and are looking for winery and/or restaurant suggestions. Not sure yet if we will be staying in the town of Sonoma, Healdsburg, or a day or in both. We are interested in smaller wineries for Chardonnay and Pinot Noir especially, but enjoy all varietals. We especially enjoy tours with great views, and also ones hosted by the winemaker/owner. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

User avatar
Karen Troisi
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 1958
Joined: August 1st, 2009, 4:35 am
Location: Napa, Sonoma, 74-41

Re: Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help.

#413 Post by Karen Troisi » February 20th, 2019, 5:50 am

Jeff VanDenbussche wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 8:21 am
We will be spending a few days in Sonoma the end of April and are looking for winery and/or restaurant suggestions. Not sure yet if we will be staying in the town of Sonoma, Healdsburg, or a day or in both. We are interested in smaller wineries for Chardonnay and Pinot Noir especially, but enjoy all varietals. We especially enjoy tours with great views, and also ones hosted by the winemaker/owner. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Jeff we are located on the Sonoma Plaza if you would like to stop by to taste DM me. Highly recommend Three Sticks for a visit - very solid line-up they are pouring.
ITB - You should only make wines you love to drink.

User avatar
JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1033
Joined: June 19th, 2018, 12:42 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help.

#414 Post by JDavisRoby » February 20th, 2019, 11:52 am

I’ve seen Repris mentioned here in this thread and in a few other threads. On our last trip to Sonoma we stayed in a VRBO right below their winery. We were scheduled for a tasting but had to cancel as one of our known favorites had a tasting spot open up.

From what I’ve read Repris is a must stop for their caves. How are the wines?

The home we rented was owned by a couple that makes Vulture Vineyards Pinot. If you’re into being somewhere off the beaten path and waking up to seeing the vineyards worked I’d highly recommend their place.
Joshu@

User avatar
wbeshears
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 9
Joined: January 29th, 2018, 9:02 am
Location: New York, NY

Re: Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help.

#415 Post by wbeshears » February 21st, 2019, 9:22 am

I know Repris decently well. I know the owner personally from a former life and I've been on their wine list for maybe five or six years now (in fact as luck would have it I'm sitting next to a stack of Repris half cases as I write this). The caves are indeed impressive and I think the property is stellar and one of the most scenic in wine country. The wines are definitely on the pricier side for Sonoma (although not relative to Napa), but consistently very solid...only rarely have I not liked a bottle. The main focus is Bordeaux blends, but they also produce a pretty wide range of great single varietals (just brought a bottle of malbec to dinner a few weeks ago that ended up being everyone's favorite of the night, but also make merlot, petit verdot, syrah, zin, and some whites, and obviously cab). It's one of the wines I'll reach for if I want to bring a "good bottle" of wine to a dinner party that I know will get a good reception. I'd say definitely worth a visit. FWIW the owner also owns the Texture label which produces some pretty good pinot, although I'm not sure if you can taste or buy it at Repris.
-W.i.l.l B.e.s.h.e.a.r.s-
NY, NY

User avatar
Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20848
Joined: April 24th, 2009, 12:45 am
Location: Bay Area, CA. Sometimes out to lunch.

Re: Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help.

#416 Post by Alan Rath » February 23rd, 2019, 8:52 pm

We ate at a cool little restaurant last night which deserves to be on the Healdsburg list: Guiso Latin Fusion (pronounced "gee-so" hard G). It's a young Salvadoran chef, cooking latin food from around Central America and Caribbean, with some special recipes from grandma and elsewhere. Only 6 or 7 tables, I think 24 seats total, including 4 counter stools overlooking the small kitchen. Small wine and beer list. We'll definitely go back, and I highly recommend it.
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

User avatar
Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20848
Joined: April 24th, 2009, 12:45 am
Location: Bay Area, CA. Sometimes out to lunch.

Re: Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help.

#417 Post by Alan Rath » February 28th, 2019, 9:49 pm

And a brew pub to add in Petaluma: Brewsters Beer Garden, good food, large beer selection, great large space, indoor and outdoor.
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Andrew D.
Posts: 2
Joined: January 5th, 2019, 6:11 pm

Re: Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help.

#418 Post by Andrew D. » March 2nd, 2019, 12:40 pm

Greetings. I wanted to circle back on our recent visit to the Healdsburg area. Had a great time. The wine and food was outstanding and we lucked out with just a few raindrops while we were there. Here's hoping the area can dry out and soon!

Enjoyable tastings at Joseph Jewell, Hanna (nice views, too) and SodaRock (cool building) in Alexander Valley. Around the square we hit up Selby and Idlewild. The latter really impressed us. Italian varietals in California? We gave it a whirl and really enjoyed the entire flight. We took back a bottle of nebbiolo from them and would've bought more but our luggage was almost full.

We wanted to get to Hartford but we had already bought a few Pinots so we hit Dry Creek Valley one afternoon for some Zin. Uber and Lyft were easy to use.

The star of the show, though, was Holdredge. Thanks to Dan H. for the recommendation. We lucked out and John was pouring the day we visited. While we were there a sitcom broke out, complete with some of their Bucher vineyard wine that somehow never got poured to a regular and some eye-rolling lawyer advice.

We joined the club and had a great time. John was also nice enough to connect us with Valette for a great dinner. Got to meet Dustin, chef/co-owner, as well. Also had a nice meal at Baci.

The other takeaway we had was that we enjoyed each tasting room much more if those pouring engaged and were conversational. I don't think it's a coincidence that those with better wines also provided a better total experience.

As to the sandwich shop mystery: solved. Oakville Grocery was the spot I was thinking of and their sandwiches again were delicious. We also had good sandwiches from Big John's Market, but I give the nod to Oakville.

For any golfers, the Santa Rosa CC was very good albeit extremely wet, but a nice classic layout and very walkable. A course worth playing if you can get on. I also enjoyed the layout at Windsor Golf Club. Again, just needs to dry out.

Looking forward to another trip and thanks for the tips and advice.
D o o n a n

User avatar
JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1033
Joined: June 19th, 2018, 12:42 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help.

#419 Post by JDavisRoby » March 3rd, 2019, 7:04 pm

The food and service at Valette was top notch when we were there.
Joshu@

H. Holt
Posts: 9
Joined: January 29th, 2019, 5:58 pm

Re: Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help.

#420 Post by H. Holt » March 7th, 2019, 8:33 am

Thanks for the write up Andrew. My wife and I are heading out next week for the first time and will hit up some of the wineries you mentioned.
Harrison

Jeff VanDenbussche
Posts: 24
Joined: February 5th, 2019, 7:12 am

Re: Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help.

#421 Post by Jeff VanDenbussche » March 11th, 2019, 1:40 pm

Andrew - Thanks for the report. I had already been in contact with Holdredge, so I am definitely going to put them at the top of our list. I am trying to make sure John will be there. We are just starting to put together our itinerary for April. We are also looking at some of your restaurant suggestions. Glad you had a great time.

H. Holt - Please report back when you return.

Rich Salsano
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 730
Joined: February 11th, 2011, 10:02 am

Re: Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help.

#422 Post by Rich Salsano » March 17th, 2019, 5:27 am

JDavisRoby wrote:
March 3rd, 2019, 7:04 pm
The food and service at Valette was top notch when we were there.
One of our favorite restaurants for sure.
Richard Salsano

Joe V
Posts: 24
Joined: December 3rd, 2015, 4:44 pm
Location: Los Altos, California

Re: Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help.

#423 Post by Joe V » March 22nd, 2019, 8:37 pm

I'll be spending the last week of March up in Healdsburg and have only 1 tasting reservation at A. Rafanelli on Saturday. But I'd really like to visit a winery that has some solid white wines.

Any suggestions for a winery either near Rafanelli, or near Healdsburg that has some solid whites?

Thanks!
-Joe

P.S. Looking forward to a Sunday night dinner at Single Thread.
J. V a $ i l i o u

User avatar
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20250
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am
Location: Podunk CA RRV

Re: Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help.

#424 Post by Brian Tuite » March 22nd, 2019, 10:42 pm

Ramey is in industrial Healdsburg. Good selection of SVD Chards.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2020 WOTY Candidates

- 2018 Once & Future Old Hill Ranch

User avatar
Mike Kuller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2153
Joined: April 17th, 2012, 2:59 pm
Location: East SF Bay Area

Re: Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help.

#425 Post by Mike Kuller » March 23rd, 2019, 10:38 am

Joe V wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 8:37 pm
I'll be spending the last week of March up in Healdsburg and have only 1 tasting reservation at A. Rafanelli on Saturday. But I'd really like to visit a winery that has some solid white wines.

Any suggestions for a winery either near Rafanelli, or near Healdsburg that has some solid whites?

Thanks!
-Joe

P.S. Looking forward to a Sunday night dinner at Single Thread.
I've been buying wine from Rafanelli for over 25 years.

My wife loves the special chardonnays at Ferrari-Carano only sold at the winery or through the club.
No Vino Sin Cojones

S. Rash
Posts: 151
Joined: November 24th, 2018, 6:30 pm
Location: Las Vegas, NV

Re: Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help.

#426 Post by S. Rash » March 24th, 2019, 4:11 pm

Joe V wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 8:37 pm
I'll be spending the last week of March up in Healdsburg and have only 1 tasting reservation at A. Rafanelli on Saturday. But I'd really like to visit a winery that has some solid white wines.

Any suggestions for a winery either near Rafanelli, or near Healdsburg that has some solid whites?

Thanks!
-Joe

P.S. Looking forward to a Sunday night dinner at Single Thread.
Quivira has amazing Sauvignon Blancs, Macrostie has incredible Chardonnays
S t e p h e n

Gil H
Posts: 43
Joined: January 16th, 2019, 10:59 am

Re: Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help.

#427 Post by Gil H » May 16th, 2019, 12:32 pm

I am looking at planning a corporate event and am looking at renting a home in St. Helena. Do you have any good recommendations for wineries that handle groups of 20 well.
Horowitz

User avatar
Mike Kuller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2153
Joined: April 17th, 2012, 2:59 pm
Location: East SF Bay Area

Re: Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help.

#428 Post by Mike Kuller » May 16th, 2019, 12:44 pm

Gil H wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 12:32 pm
I am looking at planning a corporate event and am looking at renting a home in St. Helena. Do you have any good recommendations for wineries that handle groups of 20 well.
First of all St. Helena is not in Sonoma.

But you must know that.

Some years ago we had a terrific corporate dinner at Merryvale Winery in their big barrel room and I believe it was catered by Tra Vigne next door. It was spectacular.

But Tra Vigne is now something else.
No Vino Sin Cojones

User avatar
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20250
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am
Location: Podunk CA RRV

Re: Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help.

#429 Post by Brian Tuite » May 17th, 2019, 5:37 am

Mike Kuller wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 12:44 pm
Gil H wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 12:32 pm
I am looking at planning a corporate event and am looking at renting a home in St. Helena. Do you have any good recommendations for wineries that handle groups of 20 well.
First of all St. Helena is not in Sonoma.

But you must know that.

Some years ago we had a terrific corporate dinner at Merryvale Winery in their big barrel room and I believe it was catered by Tra Vigne next door. It was spectacular.

But Tra Vigne is now something else.
Tra Vigne moved North where the old Outlet Mall used to be and is now Brasswood. They brought the staff and menu with them!
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2020 WOTY Candidates

- 2018 Once & Future Old Hill Ranch

scottstern
Posts: 81
Joined: January 27th, 2013, 9:02 am

Re: Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help.

#430 Post by scottstern » January 7th, 2020, 8:15 am

Somewhat late posting about our trip to Sonoma this summer. Stayed at the Farmhouse Inn in Forestville. Cannot recommend this place more - just an amazing experience. Room was terrific, grounds were great (especially the nightly smores around the fire pits), food was amazing, wine tastings were great (including Macrostie) and staff was incredibly nice. Not cheap, but you definitely get what you pay for. We tasted at 6 wineries - Wren Hop, Hirsch, Carlisle, Williams-Selyem, Ridge and Littoria - a fantastic lineup. We tasted with Mike Officer at Carlisle and then got to do some barrel tastings with him - a ton of fun and very educational. Wren Hop has some beautiful grounds, as does Littoria. Ridge was a terrific experience, with a great vineyard tour and then tasting, including MB. Hirsch was just a tasting room in Sonoma so certainly a different experience, but great wines nonetheless. WS has a really, really nice winery and tasting room. Ate at many good restaurants in Healdsburg, including Barndiva and Chalkboard. One of the best was Pizzando, and their incredible Brussels Sprouts. Lunch from Oakville Grocery was great. Can't wait to go back and hit up some other wineries. Will definitely stay at Farmhouse Inn again though.

User avatar
Bryan Price
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 543
Joined: April 9th, 2017, 2:10 pm
Location: Coto de Caza, CA

Re: Planning your visit to Sonoma

#431 Post by Bryan Price » January 22nd, 2020, 10:06 pm

T. Melloni wrote:
March 27th, 2014, 11:34 am
Thank you. Well done.

I understand that some areas of the "true" Sonoma Coast are difficult or time consuming to visit. Hirsch Vineyards is one that comes to mind. Once there, however, it is supposed to be incredibly beautiful. (Plus for me, being a fan of Hirsch wines, it may be worth the time needed in order to visit).

Any suggestions on those "difficult to reach" areas of the Sonoma Coast or, as Yankees might sometimes say, "Can't get there from here."
Hirsch now has a tasting room in downtown Healdsburg. I am actually splitting up a trip in February between Anderson valley and Russian River valley, and my initial thought was to drive down the coast (rather than highway 128 to 101) to visit to make use of the travel time. I know Ft. Ross-Seaview is also there but I've been there before. Can anyone think of any other excuse to take an extra 30 minutes of windy roads to drive down the coast? I know the natural beauty is a selling point, but my wife is going to want to hit up some tasting rooms on the way.
“To alcohol! The cause of...and solution to...all of life's problems.” - Homer Simpson

User avatar
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20250
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am
Location: Podunk CA RRV

Re: Planning your visit to Sonoma

#432 Post by Brian Tuite » January 24th, 2020, 8:35 am

Bryan Price wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 10:06 pm
T. Melloni wrote:
March 27th, 2014, 11:34 am
Thank you. Well done.

I understand that some areas of the "true" Sonoma Coast are difficult or time consuming to visit. Hirsch Vineyards is one that comes to mind. Once there, however, it is supposed to be incredibly beautiful. (Plus for me, being a fan of Hirsch wines, it may be worth the time needed in order to visit).

Any suggestions on those "difficult to reach" areas of the Sonoma Coast or, as Yankees might sometimes say, "Can't get there from here."
Hirsch now has a tasting room in downtown Healdsburg. I am actually splitting up a trip in February between Anderson valley and Russian River valley, and my initial thought was to drive down the coast (rather than highway 128 to 101) to visit to make use of the travel time. I know Ft. Ross-Seaview is also there but I've been there before. Can anyone think of any other excuse to take an extra 30 minutes of windy roads to drive down the coast? I know the natural beauty is a selling point, but my wife is going to want to hit up some tasting rooms on the way.
Extra 30 minutes? You are selling that short!
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2020 WOTY Candidates

- 2018 Once & Future Old Hill Ranch

Pat K
Posts: 184
Joined: October 15th, 2017, 10:46 am

Re: Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help.

#433 Post by Pat K » January 24th, 2020, 1:56 pm

Speaking of Sonoma County. What a waste.

https://fox5sandiego.com/2020/01/24/gal ... cal-river/

[oops.gif]

User avatar
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20250
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am
Location: Podunk CA RRV

Re: Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help.

#434 Post by Brian Tuite » January 24th, 2020, 2:13 pm

Pat K wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 1:56 pm
Speaking of Sonoma County. What a waste.

https://fox5sandiego.com/2020/01/24/gal ... cal-river/

[oops.gif]
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=166863
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2020 WOTY Candidates

- 2018 Once & Future Old Hill Ranch

Pat K
Posts: 184
Joined: October 15th, 2017, 10:46 am

Re: Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help.

#435 Post by Pat K » January 24th, 2020, 3:22 pm

Thanks, Brian. Didn't realize you had the prior post. Maybe now I have an

[oops.gif]

Or it's just all in fun. [thumbs-up.gif]

User avatar
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20250
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am
Location: Podunk CA RRV

Re: Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help.

#436 Post by Brian Tuite » January 25th, 2020, 6:50 am

Pat K wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 3:22 pm
Thanks, Brian. Didn't realize you had the prior post. Maybe now I have an

[oops.gif]

Or it's just all in fun. [thumbs-up.gif]
It’s all good Pat! [highfive.gif]
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2020 WOTY Candidates

- 2018 Once & Future Old Hill Ranch

User avatar
Bryan Price
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 543
Joined: April 9th, 2017, 2:10 pm
Location: Coto de Caza, CA

Re: Planning your visit to Sonoma

#437 Post by Bryan Price » January 25th, 2020, 9:04 am

Brian Tuite wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 8:35 am
Bryan Price wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 10:06 pm
T. Melloni wrote:
March 27th, 2014, 11:34 am
Thank you. Well done.

I understand that some areas of the "true" Sonoma Coast are difficult or time consuming to visit. Hirsch Vineyards is one that comes to mind. Once there, however, it is supposed to be incredibly beautiful. (Plus for me, being a fan of Hirsch wines, it may be worth the time needed in order to visit).

Any suggestions on those "difficult to reach" areas of the Sonoma Coast or, as Yankees might sometimes say, "Can't get there from here."
Hirsch now has a tasting room in downtown Healdsburg. I am actually splitting up a trip in February between Anderson valley and Russian River valley, and my initial thought was to drive down the coast (rather than highway 128 to 101) to visit to make use of the travel time. I know Ft. Ross-Seaview is also there but I've been there before. Can anyone think of any other excuse to take an extra 30 minutes of windy roads to drive down the coast? I know the natural beauty is a selling point, but my wife is going to want to hit up some tasting rooms on the way.
Extra 30 minutes? You are selling that short!
Thank you Brian - that decided it for me. I think 1 hour or more would be too much to reconfigure our trip.
“To alcohol! The cause of...and solution to...all of life's problems.” - Homer Simpson

User avatar
lleichtman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1593
Joined: June 28th, 2014, 6:28 pm
Location: Santa Fe NM

Re: Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help.

#438 Post by lleichtman » January 30th, 2020, 12:40 pm

Anyone familiar with the barrel tasting weekend. Trying to figure out what wineries are not doing the barrel tasting thing.
Lawrence G. Leichtman

User avatar
Paul Luckin
Posts: 8038
Joined: February 19th, 2009, 2:58 pm
Location: Santa Rosa, CA

Re: Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help.

#439 Post by Paul Luckin » January 30th, 2020, 1:03 pm

lleichtman wrote:
January 30th, 2020, 12:40 pm
Anyone familiar with the barrel tasting weekend. Trying to figure out what wineries are not doing the barrel tasting thing.
here's a list of participating wineries. some are 1st Weekend Only, and others will be doing Fri/Sat/Sun.

with six weeks to go, there may be some additions before the programs are printed.
\m/ >_< \m/

ITB once again

User avatar
lleichtman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1593
Joined: June 28th, 2014, 6:28 pm
Location: Santa Fe NM

Re: Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help.

#440 Post by lleichtman » January 30th, 2020, 2:31 pm

Paul Luckin wrote:
January 30th, 2020, 1:03 pm
lleichtman wrote:
January 30th, 2020, 12:40 pm
Anyone familiar with the barrel tasting weekend. Trying to figure out what wineries are not doing the barrel tasting thing.
here's a list of participating wineries. some are 1st Weekend Only, and others will be doing Fri/Sat/Sun.

with six weeks to go, there may be some additions before the programs are printed.
Thanks. We'll be there that weekend.
Lawrence G. Leichtman

User avatar
Evan Pontoriero
Posts: 979
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 9:25 am
Location: Sonoma Coast

Re: Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help.

#441 Post by Evan Pontoriero » February 16th, 2020, 9:34 am

We are one of the "nots". Not because we don't want to, but because we don't produce the required 51% of wine from Russian River/DC/AV. Our main source is Petaluma Gap.
Fogline Vineyards
Petaluma Gap

Alexander Smith
Posts: 6
Joined: April 18th, 2020, 3:31 pm

Re: Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help.

#442 Post by Alexander Smith » April 19th, 2020, 6:15 pm

Just a few of wineries that I like: Ramey, Three Sticks and Dutton Goldfield

User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 39878
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA

Re: Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help.

#443 Post by Todd F r e n c h » June 9th, 2020, 3:01 pm

The ‘we’re opening back up!’ Emails are pouring in...
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

User avatar
Bryan Price
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 543
Joined: April 9th, 2017, 2:10 pm
Location: Coto de Caza, CA

Re: Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help.

#444 Post by Bryan Price » June 9th, 2020, 4:58 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
June 9th, 2020, 3:01 pm
The ‘we’re opening back up!’ Emails are pouring in...
Yeah, so let's do some of our own pouring too! [cheers.gif]
“To alcohol! The cause of...and solution to...all of life's problems.” - Homer Simpson

Sharad S.
Posts: 15
Joined: July 27th, 2020, 5:28 am

Re: Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help.

#445 Post by Sharad S. » July 27th, 2020, 12:03 pm

In the Healdsburg Plaza, we hit up Selby Tasting Room, and Spicy Vines. Loved the Sauv Blanc, Pinot and Bobcat Zinfandel at Selby. I usually get bottles ordered of that Zin all the time. There was a real good Spanish restaurant we went to called Bravas bar de Tapas.

Somehow I found a Maa n Paa winery called D & L Carinalli. Team of Husband and Wife only make Pinot and Chardonnay. The owners were kind enough to give us a tasting in their home. We really enjoyed the wines.
North of that we hit up Mazzocco Winery off Lytton Springs for their amazing Zinfandels!
S. S h a r m a

User avatar
Paul Luckin
Posts: 8038
Joined: February 19th, 2009, 2:58 pm
Location: Santa Rosa, CA

Re: Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help.

#446 Post by Paul Luckin » July 27th, 2020, 12:38 pm

Sharad S. wrote:
July 27th, 2020, 12:03 pm
In the Healdsburg Plaza, we hit up Selby Tasting Room, and Spicy Vines. Loved the Sauv Blanc, Pinot and Bobcat Zinfandel at Selby. I usually get bottles ordered of that Zin all the time. There was a real good Spanish restaurant we went to called Bravas bar de Tapas.

Somehow I found a Maa n Paa winery called D & L Carinalli. Team of Husband and Wife only make Pinot and Chardonnay. The owners were kind enough to give us a tasting in their home. We really enjoyed the wines.
North of that we hit up Mazzocco Winery off Lytton Springs for their amazing Zinfandels!
interesting.
\m/ >_< \m/

ITB once again

JonathanG
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 433
Joined: August 7th, 2019, 10:45 pm
Location: SF Bay Area - Mid Peninsula

Re: Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help.

#447 Post by JonathanG » July 30th, 2020, 11:29 am

Curious if anyone has knows of a handful of tasting rooms near Glen Ellen that has good wine, and is doing outdoor tastings (will have daughter and small dog in tow). I'm going through the laborious process of contacting some near where we are staying but figured someone may have been recently and can weigh in.
J0|\|@+h@n Gr@h@m

User avatar
PeterJ
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1866
Joined: June 25th, 2009, 1:24 pm
Location: Mission Viejo, CA

Re: Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help.

#448 Post by PeterJ » July 30th, 2020, 1:05 pm

JonathanG wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 11:29 am
Curious if anyone has knows of a handful of tasting rooms near Glen Ellen that has good wine, and is doing outdoor tastings (will have daughter and small dog in tow). I'm going through the laborious process of contacting some near where we are staying but figured someone may have been recently and can weigh in.
I don’t know if he’s open now but, for a really interesting experience, try calling Tony Cotturi. He’s controversial and quirky but has been making natural wines in Glen Ellen for 40+ years and doesn’t have a conventional tasting room. Last time we were there we tasted on a stack of cases in front of the terra cotta fermenters he has buried in a shed.

People here will tell you his wine is unstable and subject to huge batch variation because he doesn’t add sulfites. All I can say is that I enjoy his wine.

https://yelp.to/qTKq/PIizKY8by8

https://www.coturriwinery.com/home2.html
Peter J@ckel

Sean Devaney
Posts: 3527
Joined: June 25th, 2009, 5:11 pm

Re: Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help.

#449 Post by Sean Devaney » August 2nd, 2020, 8:05 pm

Went to Sonoma July 18th to celebrate a friends birthday. We here going with birthday girl's 6 yo son so when making reservations we had to drop a couple of favorites as they didn't allow children. Only visited four wineries but the highlights were Joseph Swan, Dutton Ranch and Davis Family.

Joseph Swan was a great visit and Rod has built a nice "patio" to taste on. Quite a story of him building it. Great wines as always. I hope they can keep the patio when indoor tasting resumes. Cody was great setting up our tasting even confirming on 4th of July.

Dutton Ranch has always excelled in hospitality and this was no exception. First rate service and wines all across the board. Brian was an awesome host.

Davis Family was our last stop and hit it out of the park. I have always liked Guy Davis' wines and nothing failed to disappoint. Very nice set up for an downtown tasting room. Great food truck on hand and great wines. Guy poured most of our wines and gave us a preview of a couple of others. Sarah was great in helping set up our reservation and pouring. Note our birthday girl likes whites much more than reds and they had a couple of whites off the menu to taste for her.

Stopped by Russian River Brewing Co. to get some beers and Bear Republic for some apps before heading home. Miss their location off the square but the patio at Windsor is huge.

If you want to visit I suggest limiting to 3-4 wineries during this time

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”