Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help.

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
John Dart
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help.

#451 Post by John Dart »

JonathanG wrote: July 30th, 2020, 11:29 am Curious if anyone has knows of a handful of tasting rooms near Glen Ellen that has good wine, and is doing outdoor tastings (will have daughter and small dog in tow). I'm going through the laborious process of contacting some near where we are staying but figured someone may have been recently and can weigh in.
If this is not too late, you should definitely try Schermeister Winery in Jack London Village, in Glen Ellen. Rob and Laura are terrific folks and their small lot Pinots, Chardonnay, Syrah and Voignier are excellent.

Bryan Price
GCC Member
GCC Member

#452 Post by Bryan Price »

Alan Rath wrote: February 23rd, 2019, 8:52 pm We ate at a cool little restaurant last night which deserves to be on the Healdsburg list: Guiso Latin Fusion (pronounced "gee-so" hard G). It's a young Salvadoran chef, cooking latin food from around Central America and Caribbean, with some special recipes from grandma and elsewhere. Only 6 or 7 tables, I think 24 seats total, including 4 counter stools overlooking the small kitchen. Small wine and beer list. We'll definitely go back, and I highly recommend it.
I second Guiso Latin Fusion. On a trip to Napa and Sonoma that included eating at the French Launch Laundry, this might have been my favorite meal. Not as wine friendly (unless you pair this meal with Spanish wine) in a Latin comfort food in style, but absolutely delicious.
“To alcohol! The cause of...and solution to...all of life's problems.” - Homer Simpson

rwstorer
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#453 Post by rwstorer »

We have a place down the street from Guiso and put me as a Huge Fan of this place. We've been to them all in Sonoma and this guy (Carlos) is fantastic. Given a choice between Single Thread, Valette, Barn Diva, etc, 9 times out of 10 I'm going to Guiso.

Not to be missed at Guiso:

~After Church Burger
~Cubanito (Guiso's take on a Cuban sandwich)
~Fish Taco
~Any of the fish specials

Here are some additional tips for the area:

Best Fries:
~The Rooftop
~Dukes

Best Pizza:
~Journeyman
~Diavola
~Glen Ellen Star

Best Burger:
~Journeyman
~Gun Club* - Gun Club is temporarily closed but they share a kitchen with Diavola and they often have the burger on the menu at Diavola

Best Mexican:
~El Molino Central
R o g e r in San Diego

T. Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#454 Post by T. Kaplan »

Anyone know of any quality wineries/tasting rooms in Sonoma or on the Mendocino Coast with a big open lawn for picnics, outdoor tables spread *really* far apart, or other above-and-beyond social distancing measures in place during the pandemic? My girlfriend and I are headed up that way next week, and trying to play it as safe as possible.
T a y l o r

Brian Tuite
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#455 Post by Brian Tuite »

T. Kaplan wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 1:11 am Anyone know of any quality wineries/tasting rooms in Sonoma or on the Mendocino Coast with a big open lawn for picnics, outdoor tables spread *really* far apart, or other above-and-beyond social distancing measures in place during the pandemic? My girlfriend and I are headed up that way next week, and trying to play it as safe as possible.
I was under the impression that tastings were appointment only right now. That affords you all the space you need.

Copain has the Adirondack chairs overlooking the valley.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

Tom DeBiase
GCC Member
GCC Member

#456 Post by Tom DeBiase »

T. Kaplan wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 1:11 am Anyone know of any quality wineries/tasting rooms in Sonoma or on the Mendocino Coast with a big open lawn for picnics, outdoor tables spread *really* far apart, or other above-and-beyond social distancing measures in place during the pandemic? My girlfriend and I are headed up that way next week, and trying to play it as safe as possible.
Most of the wineries I know of are not permitting picnics but rather have tastings with some food included. A suggestion, what I would do is this. Pick a town with a winery or tasting room you would like to visit, let’s take Healdsburg as an example. Visit the winery-tasting room you want to visit, have a good tasting and buy a bottle of what you liked and head over to the Healdsburg Plaza Park with your picnic basket you fetched from your car.
The weather this weekend (sunny, upper 70’s) is going to be perfect. Let me know if you need more info.

Tom

T. Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#457 Post by T. Kaplan »

Tom DeBiase wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 4:41 pm
Most of the wineries I know of are not permitting picnics but rather have tastings with some food included. A suggestion, what I would do is this. Pick a town with a winery or tasting room you would like to visit, let’s take Healdsburg as an example. Visit the winery-tasting room you want to visit, have a good tasting and buy a bottle of what you liked and head over to the Healdsburg Plaza Park with your picnic basket you fetched from your car.
The weather this weekend (sunny, upper 70’s) is going to be perfect. Let me know if you need more info.

Tom
This seems like a potentially great workaround, thank you!
T a y l o r

BILL DN

#458 Post by BILL DN »

Tom
Great idea. Might also contact some of the wineries as some may allow your picnic (J. Rickards up by Geyserville, for example, I know has some distanced tables and some good wines. And even if they won't let you picnic there, maybe you can head over to Diavola (pizzas and house made charcuterie) in town and then visit Locals tasting room (for wineries so small they don't operate their own tasting rooms).
N e l s o n

Tom DeBiase
GCC Member
GCC Member

#459 Post by Tom DeBiase »

BILL DN wrote: March 30th, 2021, 10:34 am

Tom
Great idea. Might also contact some of the wineries as some may allow your picnic (J. Rickards up by Geyserville, for example, I know has some distanced tables and some good wines. And even if they won't let you picnic there, maybe you can head over to Diavola (pizzas and house made charcuterie) in town and then visit Locals tasting room (for wineries so small they don't operate their own tasting rooms).
Yes, some wineries will allow picnics, be sure to check in advance. Diavola is IMO the best restaurant in the area by far and they do allow byo with corkage fee but that is not the picnic experience that was asked for.

If one is wondering if opening bottles in the public plaza park in Healdsburg (and also Windsor) is legal, it is. When the pandemic hit both towns opened up the plaza parks to picnics with open wine bottles totally legal.

If you are looking for a selection of awesome sandwiches for that picnic, Big John’s grocery store on the North part of Healdsburg has an array of hot and cold sandwiches, salads, sides etc.

Tom

Abbie S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#460 Post by Abbie S. »

Any suggestions for a nice birthday dinner in the Healdsburg area with delicious veggie options? I am leaning toward Valette. Any other menus I should check out?
IG abbieroads

salovon

Tom DeBiase
GCC Member
GCC Member

#461 Post by Tom DeBiase »

Abbie S. wrote: March 31st, 2021, 7:31 am Any suggestions for a nice birthday dinner in the Healdsburg area with delicious veggie options? I am leaning toward Valette. Any other menus I should check out?
Valette is an excellent choice for dinner. I don’t know of any restaurant in the area that is Vegetarian or mostly veggie based including Valette.

Besides Valette a couple of other restaurant that are excellent and have veggie options are Campo Fina in Healdsburg and Diavola in neighboring Geyserville.

Enjoy and report back on where you wind up going.

Tom

Abbie S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#462 Post by Abbie S. »

Tom DeBiase wrote: March 31st, 2021, 11:43 am
Abbie S. wrote: March 31st, 2021, 7:31 am Any suggestions for a nice birthday dinner in the Healdsburg area with delicious veggie options? I am leaning toward Valette. Any other menus I should check out?
Valette is an excellent choice for dinner. I don’t know of any restaurant in the area that is Vegetarian or mostly veggie based including Valette.

Besides Valette a couple of other restaurant that are excellent and have veggie options are Campo Fina in Healdsburg and Diavola in neighboring Geyserville.

Tom
Both menus look really good, especially Campo Fina. Thanks for the recommendations. We have a few nights in Healdsburg. I know my husband wants to eat at Guiso, as well. Not much there for me, but I can always find something on the menu.
IG abbieroads

salovon

Uli K.
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#463 Post by Uli K. »

Since you have a few nights, you could also try the tapas at Bravas (located just past Valette and SingleThread).
U. K 1 u m p p

Brian Tuite
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#464 Post by Brian Tuite »

Diavola is worth the wait.

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

BILL DN

#465 Post by BILL DN »

Uli K. wrote: April 1st, 2021, 5:14 am Since you have a few nights, you could also try the tapas at Bravas (located just past Valette and SingleThread).
Agree this is a great choice.
N e l s o n

Tom DeBiase
GCC Member
GCC Member

#466 Post by Tom DeBiase »

Abbie S. wrote: March 31st, 2021, 12:05 pm
Tom DeBiase wrote: March 31st, 2021, 11:43 am

Tom
Both menus look really good, especially Campo Fina. Thanks for the recommendations. We have a few nights in Healdsburg. I know my husband wants to eat at Guiso, as well. Not much there for me, but I can always find something on the menu.
Guiso is very very good and like eating at a friend or relatives house. Super friendly people in a tiny space. The menu is limited, try asking if they can change-add a couple things to make it more to your liking. My bet is they will.

Tom

Abbie S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#467 Post by Abbie S. »

Any idea how long it would take to get into Russian River Brewing (Santa Rosa) for lunch on a weekday?
IG abbieroads

salovon

Brian Tuite
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#468 Post by Brian Tuite »

Abbie S. wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 2:45 pm Any idea how long it would take to get into Russian River Brewing (Santa Rosa) for lunch on a weekday?
4th St you can sit outside. With COVID the downtown traffic has been minimal so I wouldn’t expect much if a wait. I don’t think they are open yet in Windsor. They’ve been shut down for a long while.

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

Abbie S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#469 Post by Abbie S. »

Brian Tuite wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 6:30 pm
Abbie S. wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 2:45 pm Any idea how long it would take to get into Russian River Brewing (Santa Rosa) for lunch on a weekday?
4th St you can sit outside. With COVID the downtown traffic has been minimal so I wouldn’t expect much if a wait. I don’t think they are open yet in Windsor. They’ve been shut down for a long while.
Awesome. We prefer the atmosphere of the Santa Rosa location. The website does say Windsor is now open.
IG abbieroads

salovon

John Dart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#470 Post by John Dart »

We drove by the Windsor Russian River Brewing last Saturday and it did not look like they were open.

Josh McCarthy
GCC Member
GCC Member

#471 Post by Josh McCarthy »

John Dart wrote: April 5th, 2021, 7:43 pm We drove by the Windsor Russian River Brewing last Saturday and it did not look like they were open.
They were open but very limited inside. They now have the beer garden open without the food restriction.
Nerdy techie turned Winemaker
WA -> MI -> Napa -> Sonoma
Syrah and Pinot make my world go 'round. The funkier, the better.

Return to “Wine Talk”