Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help.

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help.

#401 Post by Brian Tuite » November 29th, 2018, 5:41 am

A Curcio wrote:
November 28th, 2018, 10:45 pm
Bergamot Alley closed :(

One of my favorite memories was winning their annual spelling bee - never even used the gift certificate!

newhere
Thank you, I’ve updated the listing.

I also added the new Russian River Brewing Brewpub/Tasting Bar/Retail Store/Brewery Facility in Windsor

If anyone sees wineries/Tasting Rooms/Restaurants/Lodging etc missing or businesses listed that are closed please bring it to my attention and I’ll update the OP. Thanks again!
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

Andrew D.

#402 Post by Andrew D. » January 6th, 2019, 6:36 pm

Greetings all. My wife and I will be staying just outside of Healdsburg next month for a few days of vacation. Wondering if folks can point us to some good tasting rooms in the Plaza area. (We'll have three days of tasting available and won't be driving so don't be shy).

We like a bit of everything with perhaps a bit of a focus on Pinot, Chard, and Zin. We'd like to bring a few bottles back with us so places with bottle prices of $60 and under is preferred.

Also, any pizza/Italian places worth visiting?

Lastly, there's a gourmet sandwich shop in the Plaza that we really like. Can somebody provide the name of the store?

Giving back...from our trip last year to the area, our favorite was Joseph Jewell for Pinot. They have a nice tasting room in Forestville.

Thank you.
D o o n a n

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#403 Post by Brian Tuite » January 6th, 2019, 8:02 pm

Andrew D. wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 6:36 pm
Greetings all. My wife and I will be staying just outside of Healdsburg next month for a few days of vacation. Wondering if folks can point us to some good tasting rooms in the Plaza area. (We'll have three days of tasting available and won't be driving so don't be shy).

We like a bit of everything with perhaps a bit of a focus on Pinot, Chard, and Zin. We'd like to bring a few bottles back with us so places with bottle prices of $60 and under is preferred.

Lastly, there's a gourmet sandwich shop in the Plaza that we really like. Can somebody provide the name of the store?

Giving back...from our trip last year to the area, our favorite was Joseph Jewell for Pinot. They have a nice tasting room in Forestville.

Thank you.
Joseph Swan
Nalle
Hartford Family
Inman

Sandwiches are great at Big John’s Market at H’brg Ave and Dry Creek Rd.

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

2019 WOTY...

Bryan Price
GCC Member
GCC Member

#404 Post by Bryan Price » January 6th, 2019, 9:53 pm

Any point in tasting at Rochioli? Went there a few years ago and only got to taste 3 wines. Not going to pony up ~$100 on the SVDs if I can't try them first.
Life's too short to drink bad wine.

Leonard Taylor
GCC Member
GCC Member

#405 Post by Leonard Taylor » January 7th, 2019, 3:39 am

Bryan Price wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 9:53 pm
Any point in tasting at Rochioli? Went there a few years ago and only got to taste 3 wines. Not going to pony up ~$100 on the SVDs if I can't try them first.
We visited Rochioli last fall and they only tasted 3 wines. None of the single vineyard. But you will not be disappointed in plunking down the $$ for them I assure you. I have been buying them for a decade or more and they are always at the pinnacle of Cali pinots.
Leonard Taylor

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#406 Post by Dan Hammer » January 9th, 2019, 4:33 pm

Andrew D. wrote:

Very close to the plaza > Holdredge. John has a fun tasting room, not to mention his wines are good. He's a board member, so if you contact him I would expect he'd comp your tasting. Welcome to Berserkers.
This space for rent.

T Welch
GCC Member
GCC Member

#407 Post by T Welch » January 9th, 2019, 4:43 pm

The sandwich shop on the plaza might be Oakville Grocery.
T*R*U*E*T*T - ITB

Richard Albert

#408 Post by Richard Albert » January 15th, 2019, 7:12 pm

Bryan, they do not taste the SVD's cause they to not have to; some sold out out in hours last year.
Have you been offered an allocation?
ITB

Bryan Price
GCC Member
GCC Member

#409 Post by Bryan Price » January 15th, 2019, 8:07 pm

Richard Albert wrote:
January 15th, 2019, 7:12 pm
Bryan, they do not taste the SVD's cause they to not have to; some sold out out in hours last year.
Have you been offered an allocation?
I haven't Richard. I suspect I would really like Rochioli but have had limited chances to try it to see if it's worth the tariff. I stopped by the tasting room a couple of years ago and caught them at a bad time. They had just opened up and the wines were too cold and not aired out. Suffice to say even after warming it up in my hands they weren't anything to write home about but I'm all the more intrigued to try to the SVDs.
Life's too short to drink bad wine.

Steve Anderson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#410 Post by Steve Anderson » January 31st, 2019, 11:34 am

Andrew D. wrote:

Thank you.
Andrew:

On the Plaza: Lioco - nice Chards, Pinot and old vine Carignan, and great folks

Close by (1-2 blocks): Banshee, Siduri, Roadhouse (Eric Hall posts on WB - ericleehall), and Idlewild (Sam Bilbro/Italian Varietals)

Walking distance (maybe up to 8=10 blocks?): Ramey, Holdrege and Arnot Roberts. A-R may be a tougher appointment unless you are on their mailing list. I was also going to recommend Valdez, but looks like the H'burg tasting room may have closed after Ulises passed last fall. There are quite a few other tasting rooms in Healdsburg, but those are just a few that I would hit.

Cheers!

Steve

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#411 Post by Brian Tuite » January 31st, 2019, 12:44 pm

Italian/Pizza
Diavola in Geyserville
Catelli’s in Geyserville
Rosso in Santa Rosa pizza/wine

2019 WOTY...

Jeff VanDenbussche

#412 Post by Jeff VanDenbussche » February 5th, 2019, 8:21 am

We will be spending a few days in Sonoma the end of April and are looking for winery and/or restaurant suggestions. Not sure yet if we will be staying in the town of Sonoma, Healdsburg, or a day or in both. We are interested in smaller wineries for Chardonnay and Pinot Noir especially, but enjoy all varietals. We especially enjoy tours with great views, and also ones hosted by the winemaker/owner. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Return to “Wine Talk”