Pobega'd - TN: 2012 Quivet Cellars Syrah Hulda Block Las Madres Vineyard

• 2012 Quivet Cellars Syrah Hulda Block Las Madres Vineyard - USA, California, Napa / Sonoma, Carneros (3/21/2014)
    Here’s my dilemma: I am in love with the 2011 Quivet Las Madres Syrah. Where do you go from love? I guess finding that love again is a consistency thing, no? But would I be cheating on the 2011 if I found love the 2012? Possibly. Anyway, that’s my dilemma. Pretty awesome dilemma by dilemma standards, right?

The nose on this is super fragrant. I get pretty spring flowers, boysenberry and strawberry. The emphasis is on the purity and intensity. Palate is airlifted to a new height on this; I am really enjoying the bounce and playfulness. There is a flinty quality that I never quite found before either. Deft and polished, this is as near perfect an expression in a Northern Cali Syrah as you could ever want or find. (I humbly realize the gravity of what I just said). This is a redder version of the Las Madres I so love. Not as much blue and black fruits as there usually is. Overall balance is impeccable with tannins more elegant than angular. Acidity rides on the cusp of high, just perfect for this complete profile. Long finish and the purity of fruits hold true. I am in love—again—still—whatever. (96 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note Mike, sounds great. Have plans myself to Pobega one of these or the Myriad Esther Block sometime this weekend. Hell, probably both.

I hope you are doing well there in Texas. Our loss is Texas’ gain.

Cheers!

Sorry if this is the wrong thread to post this note but I remember a charming and wise man asking to see if someone would post notes for both the 2012 Quivet and the 2012 Myriad syrahs. Yes, he is wise. I have heard many people call him a wise guy. [insert appropriate but civil smiley/emoticon here]

Anyway, here’s my note on a Pobega’d 2012 Myriad Las Madres:

2012 Myriad Cellars Syrah Esther Block Las Madres Vineyard - USA, California, Napa / Sonoma, Carneros (3/21/2014)
Pop and pour and opened 1 day after arriving in a shipment from the winery. Served without food.
Nose is savory, with some wool, dried flowers, and spice, and black pepper.
Color is dark purple.
The wine is quite approachable at this early stage, with dark fruits and good acidity. Fills the mouth with flavor but well balanced and round.
Finishes with black pepper and a touch of basil.
Well done.
Myriad.2012.jpg

nice.

Old news… [wink.gif]

• 2012 Myriad Cellars Syrah Esther Block Las Madres Vineyard - USA, California, Napa / Sonoma, Carneros (3/8/2014)
    This bottle got 3+ hours of air on the first night and went back under cork. Notes from day 2.
    The '12 Esther has a savory side to it that I haven’t experienced at this young age in previous bottlings. Deep dark blue fruit, violets, black pepper soy and oilves greet the nose accompanied by a touch of oak. Mike is about flavor and this wine is packed with rich sweet blackberry and boysenberry but turns a bit red with a nice lingering dose of acidity and chalky tannins rounding out the long finish. Lots to offer here with layers and layers of flavors and stuffed to last a decade or more.

Posted from CellarTracker

The '12 vintage is the first of Mike’s Syrahs that I’ve bought. Any rough suggestions for how long to wait (optimally, that is)?

10-15 minutes? lol

[rofl.gif]

Depends on what you are looking for. Young the fruit is in control and with 5-6 years the olive starts taking over. Enjoyable anyway you slice it.

I’ve only been drinking them back to the 2009 vintage…that said, I can’t recall having ever opened one of his Syrah’s that seemed closed or inaccessible in any way. If you have 3+, open one up soon and see what you think. At least that’s what I would do. If I had 2 bottles, I’d probably wait a year before opening the first.

Mike, you’re killing me, I am now gonna have to Pobega my Myriad.

Opened one of these this past Sunday. Got smoked meat, blackberries and flowers on the nose. Hard to keep my schnoz out of the glass until first sip. Then hard to keep the wine out of my mouth. Fruit is the star right now, with some savory olive and smoked meat hiding in the background. The bottle went pretty quick, feminine tannins and acidity that is very much spot on to create a complete package. No regrets about this Pobega.

Would like to say I’ll let my other 2 gather a little dust to allow more of the savory elements to come forward but it will be hard to keep my hands off. I love Las Madres. And Mike’s wines. My wife was a big fan, which is always a good thing to remind her about come release time.

Mike - we’re getting settled and enjoying being back in Houston. But we have plenty to miss. I especially miss those dinners at North Square with you and the group, hope I can make it back to the area soon and get together.

So, I just Pobega’d my first wine, and based on this thread, I made it the 2012 Quivet Hulda Block Syrah. My experience was closer to that of Travis - some smokey, gamey notes on the nose, but not overwhelming. Nice notes of red and black fruits, with no noticeable tannins. Not an overpowering mouthfeel, like some Saxums or SQNs can be, but lighter, almost Pinot- like. Very nice wine.

Eric, thx for the note. How long would you cellar this?

Depends on what you want out of your Syrah. If you like the meatier, gamier notes, then I’d put it away for awhile - that profile seemed to gain strength as the night went on (well, is going on - I am sitting with the last glass right now). The fruit was bright and vibrant right after opening, so if that’s what you want, I would go ahead and drink away.

If the fedex guy is gone, you have lost your opportunity to Pobega in the first place…

But what if your wine is being held at a local Fedex/Kinkos?

I say bring a corkscrew.

I met mike smith for the first time a few weeks ago. Such a low key and incredible guy! The '12 cabs are just ridiculous.

His other project - Ancillary Cellars - is worth checking out as well.