South Africa Trip Report - A few lights in the darkness

I’m sitting in Hermanus on the last day of a 2 week swing through South Africa. The general theme of this trip, to loosely paraphrase Woody Allen: the food and wine is dirt cheap, and bad value too. Despite eating and drinking at most of the big names in the country, I’ve never had so much bad, overwrought food and wine in a single trip. It all looks and sounds like good stuff, until you put it in your mouth. Produce is uniformly of terrible quality (despite it being late summer here!), food is heavy, often fried, slathered with primitive, thick and often sweet sauces, and shows no regard to what’s in season. The wines are purple, sweet, uncontrollably oaky (often with poorly thought use of raw American oak); we saw row upon rows of diseased vines, vineyards on valley floor alluvium while prime hillside exposure lay bare; vines so laden with fruit they looked like they would collapse. There is a long way to go here.

But rather than dwell on the bad, I thought it would be nice to focus on what’s good (though I can’t help but urge any future visitors to avoid La Colombe). Focusing on the good also makes for a much shorter post.

The general rule is that any big name or “older” prestige vineyard is currently making swill. We didn’t have a chance to go to the Swartland, but we did sample several Sadie Family and Mullineaux bottles, all of which were quite good, albeit, in the case of Sadie Family, a bit pricey for what you get.

In Stellenbosch, the wines are generally awful. Bright spots are found at higher elevations. Perhaps the biggest surprise of our trip - and our favorite winery overall - was Stark-Conde. They are making a dynamite range of unspoofed wine, ranging from interesting, red fruited pinots from Elgin fruit, to terrific, ripe-but-balanced cabs from some of the highest Stellenbosch vineyards. Sadly, their flagship vineyard was destroyed in a fire a few years ago and has recently been replanted. Nice place to get lunch, too - simple but delicious food, a relief!

Another good stop was Thelema. Their “The Mint” cab, from a vineyard adjacent to a eucalyptus grove, is a baby Martha’s. They also make a splendid muscat dessert wine - the Constance-style Muscats tend to be one of the bright spots in SA.

In Franschhoek, times is tough. Perhaps the only acceptable visit was to Chamonix - a very nice, if masculine and whole-clustery, pinot, and an otherwise solid set of wines. Again, these guys are at elevation.

Much to our surprise, we very much enjoyed two stops at Bot River. The reds at Beaumont were OK - the standout was an elegant pinotage, one if the first I’ve tasted that I enjoyed - but the Chenins were delicious. I thought I sensed a touch of botrytis (Bot River is about 5 miles from the coast) and was delighted to discover they make a terrific botrytal dessert Chenin, which was by far my favorite dessert wine of the trip.

However, Beaumont wasn’t even the best visit in Bot River. That would be Luddite. These wines were VERY exciting. There are three wines here - a riper wine with more new oak, which we were told is the best seller internationally, and then the good stuff - a fabulous Shiraz, ripe but made without any tricks, a pure and delicious wine, and a slightly oxidative Chenin that blew my socks off, with terrific acid, a marzipan note and tons of lemony energy. The Chenin was probably my wine of the trip, and if anyone ever imports it it the states, every Jura-hound should give it a whirl. Luddite has amazing vineyards - southeast exposures with a sea breeze on the hottest days, no signs of disease - and it’s amusing to look around at the empty farmland surrounding their property when there is so much crap land planted elsewhere in the Cape.

There’s some interesting cool climate stuff going, too. The prestige pinot producers, such as they are, cluster up-valley from Hamilton Russell in the Hemel-en-Aarde valley. Generally, these pinots are quite ripe and dark and not that impressive, even though they are priced like the prime territory. My hunch is that the window for pinot is very narrow here - the coast is too cool for reds, 5 miles inland is Luddite and Beaumont growing Syrah at 14.5% - and Hamilton Russell has already snapped up the best spots.

More interesting are the wines from Elgin. Unoaked Elgin Sauvignon Blancs are ubiquitous in South Africa, cost $5-10, and are tasty and correct. I’m shocked these aren’t already a go-to wine in the states; even with a three-tier markup, these are about as good a value as there is in the world. The Elgin pinots get poo-pooed by everyone we spoke to in restaurants or wine stores, but I liked them - snappy, red fruited, and well-priced. Stark-Conde’s $9 regular pinot would put many a bourgogne or non-SVD pinot, even from good producers, to shame.

We also tasted a couple of interesting reds and whites from further east along Walker Bay, but not enough to draw any conclusions.

My takeaway from South Africa was that the further off the beaten track you went, the better the wines were. I found the Platter guide, FWIW, to be minimally useful because of over-inclusiveness; it generally spotted all the good wines but gave high ratings to plenty of crap as well. Tim James’s “Wines of the New South Africa” was a much more useful companion.

Nice write up. I had this last night and would agree they have a long way to go to approach Cali, Europe, and ANZ in terms of quality. That said, it’s worth branching out every now and then to try something different.

• 2010 Rust en Vrede Cabernet Sauvignon - South Africa, Coastal Region, Stellenbosch (3/20/2014)
    I can’t decide if I like this. It has a bit of tomato on the nose like a Bordeaux. Smooth in the mouth, decent mid palate, and then the long tangy finish really hits your mouth. If you like V-8, you’ll be intrigued. GOOD.

Posted from CellarTracker

Well, I think the best wines are easily at the Cali/ANZ level. The problem is that the best vineyard land isn’t where the prestige vineyards are, so the big name producers aren’t producing the best wine (and everyone seems to know this, it’s a not-very-secret secret). However, those big name producers, who are plushing out their wines with oak and ultramodern style, set the consumer expectation for South Africa - and it’s not a cheap way to make wine, either. Trying to sell Elgin pinot is impossible when the consumer expects coffee pinotage or coconut cab if he sees South Africa on the label.

The odd part of South Africa is that the good stuff comes from dry-farmed bush vines in the middle of nowhere or wind-blown vines by the sea, yet everyone imagines the picture-perfect vineyards in the Winelands as the ideal. Also, Rhone varietals seems to do much better here than bdx or burg; but Mourvèdre and Roussane don’t sell.

Whew. As I was reading this, I wondered how two wineries would rate that a friend of ours has worked at. Relieved to hear you liked both Stark-Conde, and Thelema! Did you happen to meet Amanda at Thelema?

Thanks much for this write-up David. Had similar impressions during a 2+ week trip six years ago. We also enjoyed Thelema. Another standout was Cederberg, but possibly due to its location in the gorgeous Cederberg Wilderness area.

I believe that I actually did, Alan. Part of a great experience there.

Luddite’s winemaker urged me to try his 2007 Shiraz - the current release is the 2008, which was a riper vintage. I found the 2007 on my hotel’s winelist last night, and it was excellent; much more Rhoneish than the 2008. Nice to see the vintage variation.

Since you didn’t mention them, even though you were in Walker Bay, I suspect you missed the Pinot Noir and Chardonnay at Hamilton Russell or any of the Bouchard Finlayson Pinots, Southern Right Sauv Blanc (owned by HR) or Ataraxia Sauv Blancs, to name a few? I’ve found some excellent wines from these folks over a good number of years, especially from Hamilton Russell.

well frankly I am amazed that you consider the food and wine very average. Did you eat at Overture,Terroir,Test Kitchen or the Roundhouse for example. I live for six months of the year in the beautiful Cape and he rest of the year in London. I love my food and eat at most of the best restaurants in London such as the Chez Bruce and the Ledbury and consider some of the restaurants in the Cape nearly as good.
As for wine,then you have a better argument although there are some wonderful wines made here now from people such as Mullineux,Alheit,Rall,David and Eben Sadie etc etc. The better wines in my opinion are the white mainly chenin blends although some very good syrah is made in the Swartland.
I urge those considering going to this wonderful part of the world,not be put off by the post as I have lived here for part of the year for the last 14 years and have loved every minute.

What Keith said

[cheers.gif]

Hmmmmm. I’d be very interested to hear more opinions on this, I’m leaving next Saturday the 29th to South Africa for a WOSA (wines of South Africa) trip. I don’t a have full itinerary yet but, will be in Stellenbosch, Paarl, Constantina and Swartland plus a few other areas. I know it’s harvest time there so what wineries we visit is still being mapped out. Thanks!

Could have saved yourself a bunch of money and gone to temecula [snort.gif]

Peter, I visited HR and Southern Right, and sampled a couple of wines from BF. Not bad, but only middling QPR and not “wow”. I thought the HR flagship pinot was head and shoulders above the other Hemel-en-Aarde pinots. It gets warm pretty fast as you go up valley…

Bad meals at La Mouette, La Colombe, and (much to my surprise, since it came highly recommended) Terroir. Uneven meals, much worse than I expected, at Pieneef and the Tasting Room.

Now, to be fair, I missed Aubergine and Test Kitchen etc. But I think it’s a reasonable enough cross section, don’t you?

The ingredient quality was uniformly awful. That was probably my biggest issue with the food. No amount of wizardry with butter can coverup mealy, tasteless tomatoes and peaches. And if I see one more sweet sauce or garnish, I’ll barf.

I would gladly live in the Cape, though. It’s beautiful, and the dollar (or pound) goes a long way. I’d just keep my own garden and cook for myself.

well I guess it would be a boring world if we all had the same opinion. Fortunately most tourists love the food here which is why it is very difficult to get a table at the top restaurants during the summer. Most also have a great corkage policy which means you pay about the equivalent of $3 per bottle.

You funny!

I was just about to email you Keith then I saw your contribution!

champagne.gif nice one Bob—I do not visit here to often but pleased you are monitoring for me

Corkage policies were terrific across the board, and wine lists were incredibly reasonably priced. A definite plus.

I’m not surprised the food is popular with a typical tourist; the cuisine (and the wine) is very accessible. But heavy-handed.

Heavy-handed how?