2012 SeaSmoke is Live

2012: Ten, Southing & Chardonay. Has anyone tried these?

Haven’t tried, but for some reason I’m always tempted by Sea Smoke. Maybe because it’s one of the first pinots I got into when starting this hobby. I’m always hoping that the wines will be lighter. I do have a soft spot for the Ten though. Decisions, decisions.

I’m pondering as well. I had an '09 Southing a couple weeks ago that was fantastic. Even though I passed on the '10 and '11, I’m thinking about dipping my toe back in.

What are the prices of these puppies? And what were allocations like this year vs last (knowing that '11 was probably a shorter year for them)? And last but not least, how many folks feel that free bottle of Gratis will push them over the edge to order?!?!?

10 x Southing $60
6 x TEN $82
6 x Streamside Chard $60
6 x Sparkling $80

No clue if I am receiving the Gratis as I don’t think it would have made it’s way over to the east coast just yet.

I’ve been buying for a few years now, but decided to skip it this year, it just seems like there are too many well reputed wines I haven’t yet tried (LF, Rhys, Ceritas, Rivers Marie), that I went elsewhere. I don’t know if they will drop you with one missed order but ces’t la vie.

The 2010 Southing is pretty awesome though. The 10 tends to be too big for me (of the 3-4 vintages I’ve had).

I decided to pick up 6 of the Southing. I agree with Dusty that the Ten is too big for my tastes right now.

I will say that, on average, those Tens age beautifully and become something ‘altogether different’ after laying them down.

Did the price of the Ten go down? I though it used to be higher?

Also, any notes on how many cases were produced of each? I know that they’ve expanded their plantings and wondering how many total cases they produce these days . . .

Cheers!

I thought it was 90 before. My allocation is the same as Jeb’s even though I haven’t bought in several years. No “Gratis” here so far.

I’m pretty sure Sea Smoke doesn’t dump you for not ordering. Your allocation there is a transparent function of dollars spent lifetime, so missing a year just means you don’t accumulate any more buying, but your existing total remains the same, and you’ll fall into the allocation system in the future wherever your buying history amount falls that year.

I really like the way they do business. Just a few wines that are good almost every year (instead of a dizzying array of SVDs and varietals from all over multiple times per year), one order per year, an open and transparent allocation system. It’s very nice from the customer’s perspective. I really applaud them.

Larry,

Haven’t you seen the “Melon Squeezers” thread? Nothing is free… [wink.gif]

I can say they opposite would happen for me. If at this point I don’t receive a bottle, I certainly wouldn’t buy. I’ve bought a fair amount over several vintages and if I didn’t receive a bottle I’d think that they valued my money less than those sent a bottle. [stirthepothal.gif]

But that said, I’m still tempted to buy. Haha

Just loaded up on the 2012s this afternoons. Did anyone have the Botella on their allocation? Not sure if they bottled it in 12 or if I’m just too junior on the list to warrant it.