List your "Super* Wines" here

*For the purpose of this thread, a “Super” wine has these characteristics:

• It is distinctive within its class
  • It is affordable (should be under $45)
  • It is readily available (not allocated)
  • It is consistent, vintage after vintage
  • It can be appreciated by wine geeks and novices alike

I’ll start:

• Scherrer OMV Zinfandel
  • Ridge “Geyserville”
  • Ridge “Lytton Springs”
  • Navarro Pinot Blanc
  • Navarro Muscat Blanc

Pradeaux Bandol Rose.
Need this wine and a hot summer’s day, nice view of the water or a harbor, nice seafood platter.
Any vintage will do, need it very chilled.
Perfect.

Ridge Lytton Springs is a good choice. It has 40+ years of history to back it up.

How about Produttori Barbaresco, the “regular” bottling?

Too many Rieslings to name. The best Wachau GruVe’s are likely pushing your price point these days.
La Rioja Alta Gran Reserva 904
Produttori
Gonon, Saint Joseph
Cazin, Cuvée Renaissance
Ferrando Carema
Travaglini Gattinara Riserva
Baudry Croix Boissée
Domaine de la Pépière, Clos des Briords and Granit de Clisson
Puffeney, Trousseau les Berangères
Coudert, Fleurie, Cuvée Tardive
Clos du Gamot

Jones Family The Sisters. Perfect cab for the price year in and year out.
Huet wines though I guess used to be perfect applies.
Carlisle Cardiac Hill syrah (while allocated, anyone on this board can find some if they try)

Pepiere Muscadet granite de clisson
Roederer NV
Allegrini Palazzo del Torre

FIFY! [cheers.gif]

Oh, you mean “literally” perfect! [wink.gif]

Dehlinger “Claret”

“Perfect” has a very specific meaning, and I think what you are looking for are the best wines available given a fairly arbitrary set of conditions.

I defined my criteria, but thanks for the helpful input!

You are very welcome. As it looks as if you are promoting a certain kind of wine, and then misusing the word “perfect” to describe them, I thought I should point it out.

Renarto Ratti all 3 barolos
Pelissero barbaresco nubiola
G.Rinladi langhe nebbiolo
Cerbaiona rosso di Montalcino
Salvioni rosso di Montalcino
Castell in villa Chianti classico and riserva
Le Cinciole Chianti classico and riserva
Pierre Usseglio Chateauneuf du pape .Not the curves.
E.Guigal cotes du Rohne
Cristia Chateauneuf du pape
Keller riesling trocken
I am under the impression,that you are mostly into American wine.Just some of my favorites. [cheers.gif]

according to the stated criteria:

Coudert Tardive
Pepiere Clisson / Clos des Briords
Baudry Chinon Rose
Baudry Grezeaux
Baudry La Croix Boissee
Vissoux Les Garants
Plouzeau Clos de Maulevrier (sadly, becoming harder to find)

Now I’m curious. It was an open ended question and I presented a fairly specific definition of the word “perfect” for the purpose of the thread.

What “certain kind of wine” do you suspect I’m “promoting”?

Chandon des Briailles Pernand Vergelesses Ille de Vergelesses
Bouchard Beaune Chateau de Beaune
Jadot Beaune Bressandes or Clos de Coucheroux
JJ Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Kabinett
Trimbach Cuvee Fred
Haart Piesporter Goldtrophen Kabinett
Zilliken Saarberger Rausch Kabinett
Selbach Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Kabinett
[I could go on with German wines for about 1/2 a hour but will stop here]
Mann Riesling Schlossberg
Stony Hill Chardonnay
Ridge Cabernet
Lopez de Heredia
Chateau Pradeaux
Produttori Barbaresco
Oddero

I also think the criteria are crazy. I don’t know what it means for a wine not to be allocated. All wines are allocated. [Is Scherrer really not allocated?] I also don’t know what it means for a wine to be appreciated by wine geeks and novices alike. Does this mean that someone like Mike who criticizes wines without tasting them has to like them? Does it eliminate all German wines because of the Kendall Jackson Chardonnay “I won’t drink anything sweet crowd.” If so, I doubt I would like very many “perfect” wines. I can only judge what I like. I cannot tell others what they should like.

Large production California wines.

Howard, it is always a pleasure for me to annoy you. That said, it appears that you somehow figured out the “crazy” criteria! Congratulations! [wink.gif]

Mike -

You are such a dang shill, your criteria impels us to list California wines, of course! [wow.gif]

Here is my stab:

Ridge Geyserville and Lytton Springs - IMHO, probably meets your criteria better than any other wine I can think of, especially given your last factor.

Weighing that last factor a little lower, cause really, who cares if non-geeks like it [wow.gif] , and I say:

Chateau Thivin Cotes de Brouilly - A meatier, more rustic style of Beaujolias, which I prefer
Baudry Les Grezaux - Just pure, classic Chinon for all of $25 or so (A few years back I would have picked Joguet, but they are less consistent)
Gonon St. Joseph (available, but you gotta jump fast)
Chateau Lanessan - The archetype of classic claret (Sociando in this class as well)
Roilette Griffe du Marquis - Distinctive Beaujolais, only started being produced in '09, and every vintage has been fantastic

My history with Ridge, Sociando and Lanessan go back a couple decades, while the other wines are more recent “loves” over the last 6-7 vintages, the Griffe excepted because it’s new.