If you had to choose ONE balanced Calif PN...

to take to a tasting in Europe–a gathering of Pinotphiles, which would you choose?
They have expressed interest in Cristom (of which I have plenty).
A-R? Peay? Copain Kiser?
They want something “boutique” that they cannot find locally, or at least can’t find easily.

What is your objective, Scott? To bring the best wine you can to represent the quality potential from California/Oregon? Or to bring one that won’t stand out in a blind tasting with Burgs?

You use the word “balanced,” is that code for a low-alcohol AFWE style wine?

No criticism is intended in those questions, but I just wanted to clarify the question so I and others can give you helpful answers.

Take a Mount Eden Estate PN with age on it.

Either a 2002 Arcadian Pisoni or 2001 Garys

You are quite welcome [cheers.gif]

Young: 2011 Lioco Hirsch

Medium: 2001 Arcadian Garys

Older: 1996 Marcassin Pinot Noir Marcassin Vineyard

Rhys or Ceritas

Windy Oaks, Kutch, Rhys or Anthill Farms are currently my favorite California pinots. Kutch and Anthill Farms are probably more restrained and Windy Oaks and Rhys are balanced but with a slight bit more fruit.

Arcadian is a great choice. I’d go with Sleepy Hollow instead of Gary’s or Pisoni, because Sleepy Hollow is more red-fruited and elegant and less weighty, assuming Scott is trying to pick something that will be more familiar to European Burg drinkers. Plus, the SH is less expensive.

Littorai. Maybe something from the 2005 vintage

Aged Hanzell.

+1

If this is going to be presented to the group I think it’s going to be presented to, then it will behoove you, Scott, to know that a bottle of 2002 Arcadian Pisoni Pinot Noir that I shared with some of them a couple years ago was received graciously, but didn’t exactly seem to impress. Toby, Simon (treetops), and Gareth were part of that small crowd … fwiw. Maybe if there will be little-to-no overlap in attendees, it would be worth trying Arcadian again. To be fair, that bottle was probably the ripest and cleanest-showing bottle of that wine (out of 5 or 6) that I’ve had.

'01 Arcadian Sleepy Hollow.

Perhaps a '07 Peay Scallop Shelf. Pretty tasty a year ago.

Have you had the 01 Garys and/or 02 Pisoni? While I like the the 01 (and later) SH, I wouldn’t put them in the same class. YMMV

We tried the 01 and 05 SH, and the 01 and 08 Pisoni, at this recent tasting.

They are different kinds of wines – I think Frank, Brig and I were a little more fond of the SH, but I could easily see how someone might prefer the relatively darker, denser Pisoni. It’s not really a better or worse between those wines, I don’t think, but more about stylistic preference. I was thinking the SH might be more stylistically familiar and accepted to European Burg drinkers than the Pisoni or Gary’s, but that’s nothing more than a guess.

Understanding this leans to a " bigger" style, but I have always thought the Small Vines MK Pinots to show balance in spades.

That one is in the cellar so I wouldn’t have to source.
Thanks all–keep 'em coming

Why take a CA PN that is trying to be Burgundy… as much as you would like to think this is going to happen it will not… ever. Take a great CA example of PN like Rochioli or Marcassin, Kistler or an older Dehligner, Rhys or Kosta Browne.

George

03 Arcadian Francescas Cuvee - best pinot ever for me from Calif. Perfectly balanced between subtle new world fruit and old world nuance. It drank like a grand cru with 10+ years on it. Expensive yes, but worth it.