Who is YOUR best value in highend CA Chardonnay?

I’m partial to Ramey’s single vineyards which are produced in enough volume to make it difficult for Ramey to demand a cult like price even though the quality is consistently outstanding. And the wine is readily available at your local retailer or on the net if you want a deeper deal. Either way local or internet you’d be hard pressed to pay more than $55 for a 2010 Ramey Ritchie, Hudson or Hyde vineyard. The RRV is usually sub $35. Total wine shows the '10 Ritchie for as low as $43 per. No mailing list hassles and you’re buying wine made by a nice, “up from his boot straps”, knows CA wine in and out, guy who owns the winery to boot in David Ramey.

2012 Sojourn Chardonnay Sangiacomo Vineyard. I paid $38. Really nice.

If we are into a ‘value’ discussion for what has really impressed me, I’d have to say Liquid Farm. The White Hill bottling is pretty amazing stuff. I’d also give a nod to Poe, who I recently bought into for the 2012 that Sam has made.

Liquid Farm White Hill

Great producer + awesome vineyard. I’d say LF, but I don’t actively seek out chard over $20 so my sample size isn’t very large.

Ramey, Stony Hill.

Another vote for Liquid Farm White Hill. I was eavesdropping on one winemaker talking to another at IPOB trying to remember the name of the chard he had tried earlier with a real Chablis-like energy. It was pretty easy to correctly guess he was talking about the White Hill.

Awhile ago everyone was gaga over Rhys! :slight_smile:

Mount Eden

Arcadian sleep hollow. 05 still best ca I’ve had produced in the 2000s

Varner/Neely

This, hands down.

When I opened this wine, my wife - who was in the next room - ran in and said “that smells delicious”. It was… Enough said.

[welldone.gif]

Ojai has several very good chards and all sub $30. I generally don’t buy chards at all but these come with the clubs shipments. They are made in a somewhat restrained style not overdoing oak and with lots of aromatics.

Ed, the OP wanted to go for value. At 70 bucks, I thought this was not in play to add Rhys to the discussion, pro or con.

BTW, a very nice last name, I might add.

All of the Ceritas chardonnay’s are in the $50 range. I have dropped a few higher priced lists due to my love of Ceritas. Just thinking about it makes me want to put a bottle ‘on deck’.

The discussion is really about who is second best.

Good point!

Oh and, I completely agree about the name! champagne.gif

Love Rhys but prices are getting high. Concerned that '13 might be my last vintage.

Dehlinger.

Game over.

Might as well lock the thread.