Does anyone drink Sauvignon Blanc anymore?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
BLittle
Contributor
Contributor

#101 Post by BLittle » March 10th, 2014, 9:02 pm

2012 Magna Mater Sauvignon Blanc Vogelzang Vineyard Happy Canyon of Santa Barbara. This is a new personal project of Jordan Fiorentini, who is the winemaker at Epoch.

I had this twice in the past three days, first at a tasting of 40+ wines (bought some) and brought tonight to a local tasting group. Evidently the vineyard produces a little more melon fruit flavor profile, coupled with 25% new French Oak (per website) and it is a very nice bottle of wine. I don't know if it is the Musque clone, but would not be surprised with the aromatics (a tiny bit of web "research" revealed that that vineyard has at least the Sauvignon Blanc 1 and Musque clones)
Brett Cyril Little (AKA BC)

Randy Smith

#102 Post by Randy Smith » March 11th, 2014, 5:03 am

BLittle wrote:2012 Magna Mater Sauvignon Blanc Vogelzang Vineyard Happy Canyon of Santa Barbara. This is a new personal project of Jordan Fiorentini, who is the winemaker at Epoch.

I had this twice in the past three days, first at a tasting of 40+ wines (bought some) and brought tonight to a local tasting group. Evidently the vineyard produces a little more melon fruit flavor profile, coupled with 25% new French Oak (per website) and it is a very nice bottle of wine. I don't know if it is the Musque clone, but would not be surprised with the aromatics (a tiny bit of web "research" revealed that that vineyard has at least the Sauvignon Blanc 1 and Musque clones)
I had this last week at a tasting with Jordan and found it delicious.
http://www.thewinewrite.com/

David S. Corrick

#103 Post by David S. Corrick » March 11th, 2014, 5:43 am

Francois & Pascal Cotat. flirtysmile

ki punwar

#104 Post by ki punwar » March 11th, 2014, 10:32 pm

Just had a '12 Bevan Kick Ranch SB, it was terrific. What's better, Russell has Dry Stack back for SB and the be vintage is killer
ITB

Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#105 Post by Marshall Gelb » March 11th, 2014, 11:06 pm

Still enjoy both French and California versions. My personal favorite is the Spottswoode with Arkenstone right up there with it.

Recently tried a 2012 SB from Chateau Montelena, a winery that I did not realize even made a SB. It was very enjoyable and well priced.

Cheers! [cheers.gif]
Marshall
A quién tiene buen vino no le faltan amigos.

scottstern

#106 Post by scottstern » March 12th, 2014, 7:16 am

Jonathan Grunzweig wrote:Splurge on a few bottles of Lail Georgia. Pop one for tremendous pleasure and lay the rest down to wait for the sublime beauty that develops with age.
As with the question of Dagueneau, is this really worth the tariff? $100 seems incredibly high for a CA SB.

Vinod S.

#107 Post by Vinod S. » March 12th, 2014, 7:43 am

I think the Dagueneau wines can be worth it if you can find them at the lower end of their usual price range (I purchased a few bottles through JJBuckley when they offered PCP). They just serve a different purpose than your everyday SB unless you are very wealthy. For me they are a special occasion wine and well worth it for their uniqueness.
Vinod Stalam
Booth 2015

Ron Erickson

#108 Post by Ron Erickson » March 12th, 2014, 8:07 am

I'm still OK grabbing a bottle of Ferrari Carano for a Wednesday evening and not worrying about it.

D@v!d P@rt@!n

#109 Post by D@v!d P@rt@!n » March 12th, 2014, 8:46 am

I did not read through this thread, so forgive me if I am repeating. I am very impressed with the Cep Sauvignon Blanc. Well balanced, crisp and fruity with a snappy finish. Not flat and flavorless like some and at the other end of the spectrum, no cat pee, grapefruit rind or body odor aromas.
ITB: Todd did not send me a bill

Jason Hagen

#110 Post by Jason Hagen » March 19th, 2014, 11:55 am

Matt Latuchie wrote:I feel very strongly that the best sauvignon blanc in the world comes from Edmond Vatan in Sancerre. On Thursday, the 2010 was opened at a dinner and it was just off the charts. I've had 4-5 of their 2010s and this was my favorite.
Agreed. Truly great wines regardless of grape. But out of my price range for anything other than a special occasion.

Saw a few new names in this thread. [cheers.gif]

Jason

Dusty Gillson

#111 Post by Dusty Gillson » March 19th, 2014, 12:15 pm

I opened a 2013 Rochioli Sauv Blanc yesterday and it was fantastic. Similar to the Merry Edwards, but with a little complex mineral thing going on. Really tasty.
Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever. - Aristophanes

Steve Ritchie
GCC Member
GCC Member

#112 Post by Steve Ritchie » March 19th, 2014, 2:14 pm

I recently discovered Eric Kent's Cuvee Renee SB... definitely on the tropical, full-bodied, end of the spectrum (granted, it's all relative), but loved the acidity and the fruit.
----------------------------------
Yes, I have the palate of a peasant....

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#113 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » March 19th, 2014, 5:37 pm

Steve Ritchie wrote:I recently discovered Eric Kent's Cuvee Renee SB... definitely on the tropical, full-bodied, end of the spectrum (granted, it's all relative), but loved the acidity and the fruit.
+1 We really enjoyed this last year.

Scott Silton

#114 Post by Scott Silton » March 19th, 2014, 7:08 pm

I came across this thread shortly after opening my first Sauv Blanc of 2014, a 2012 Downes Family Sanctuary Peak, Elgin Valley RSA (11% Semillion according to Tanzer, who gave it a 92; $14 on sale at K&L). Complex citrus focused on grapefruit, lime, maybe some orange, along with grass, spicy juniper, lemongrass and chalk. Overall, a fine example, showing a balance of Sancerre minerality and new world fruit in a light to medium frame. A good 90-91 point wine and good QPR but to answer Scott's OP eh, I'm just not that into the variety -- from 8 to 6 to 4 bottles consumed (not counting restaurants) over the past few years.

I do like Merry Edwards, full, fleshy and complex, and have found it at modest markups in a couple of restaurants, and have had a number of quality Boulay Sancerre over the years. Are the new generation Dagueneau the equal of things 2004-06? Because those were superior and a nice special treat as mentioned upthread. I think I'm more likely to take a tour of White Bordeaux than seek out much more SB. There isn't much new to see here, even though this thread has whetted my appetite a bit. [cheers.gif]

M Hudson

#115 Post by M Hudson » March 19th, 2014, 7:20 pm

Kick ranch bedrock...my go to for summer
M@rk
Actions Matter

Michael Meadows

#116 Post by Michael Meadows » March 29th, 2014, 10:13 am

BLittle wrote:2012 Magna Mater Sauvignon Blanc Vogelzang Vineyard Happy Canyon of Santa Barbara. This is a new personal project of Jordan Fiorentini, who is the winemaker at Epoch.

Got to say, this could sway some Cali SB opinions. If you go from fridge to cellar toward room temp, it's got a depth to it that I certainly didn't expect.

Noel Sherr

#117 Post by Noel Sherr » March 29th, 2014, 1:38 pm

Vatan, on rare occasions. But I also love the Chavignol cuvees from Thomas-Labaille, and of course Clos Roche Blanche Sauvignon when I can get my hands on some.

scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#118 Post by scamhi » March 30th, 2014, 10:16 am

Welcome to wine berserkers Noel!
S u z a n n e C a m h i
instagram: suz_cam

Jonathan Grunzweig
GCC Member
GCC Member

#119 Post by Jonathan Grunzweig » March 30th, 2014, 10:30 am

scottstern wrote:
Jonathan Grunzweig wrote:Splurge on a few bottles of Lail Georgia. Pop one for tremendous pleasure and lay the rest down to wait for the sublime beauty that develops with age.
As with the question of Dagueneau, is this really worth the tariff? $100 seems incredibly high for a CA SB.
No question this is indefensibly high. In the scheme of things, I guess I just rationalize that my bargain hunting and splurges somehow net out -- rough justice, if you will. BTW I also recently has the Mondavi I Block SB from To-Kalon, which I think costs a bit less and was quite good.

Dusty Gillson

#120 Post by Dusty Gillson » April 2nd, 2014, 6:03 am

Has anyone had the Rochioli Old Vines Sauv Blanc? I just got an offer for 2 whole bottles (99 case production) and wondered if I should take them at $48 per.
Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever. - Aristophanes

Scott Butler

#121 Post by Scott Butler » April 2nd, 2014, 6:56 am

Dusty Gillson wrote:Has anyone had the Rochioli Old Vines Sauv Blanc? I just got an offer for 2 whole bottles (99 case production) and wondered if I should take them at $48 per.
I bought 2 last year, and haven't tried them. I am going drink one this weekend to help me decide on my purchase approach this year.
WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan

M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#122 Post by M. Dildine » April 2nd, 2014, 8:01 am

Scott Butler wrote:
Dusty Gillson wrote:Has anyone had the Rochioli Old Vines Sauv Blanc? I just got an offer for 2 whole bottles (99 case production) and wondered if I should take them at $48 per.
I bought 2 last year, and haven't tried them. I am going drink one this weekend to help me decide on my purchase approach this year.
I love these and purchase year after year. Just placed my order.
Cheers,

Mike

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#123 Post by larry schaffer » April 2nd, 2014, 8:08 am

Not much love for Santa Barbara County SB here. The Happy Canyon area is producing some great fruit, and Magna Mater has already been mentioned - but not mentioned yet are Grassini, Brander, Dragonette, and Starlane . . . just a few to search out.

Very interested to see what comes of the Starlane fruit now that Tyler Thomas, formerly of Donelan, is at the helm.

Cheers!
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Scott E.

#124 Post by Scott E. » April 2nd, 2014, 8:12 am

M Hudson wrote:Kick ranch bedrock...my go to for summer
+1
$.E$te$

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#125 Post by Paul Miller » April 2nd, 2014, 8:19 am

I need to seek out a Mason SB again.

Mary Baker

#126 Post by Mary Baker » April 2nd, 2014, 9:32 am

Bruce Cass has just posted a Napa-Sonoma Sauvignon Blanc "Smackdown" Tour at Vinobo.com. Map, itinerary, recommendations for a 3-day weekend. Requires free registration, and is only available for free until April 15th. (Subscriber only after that date.) It's a self-guided tour, so you can just print it out and use it as a reference when planning your next trip. [cheers.gif]

http://vinobo.com/subscribers/theme-tou ... th-sonoma/

Brett Johnson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#127 Post by Brett Johnson » April 2nd, 2014, 9:50 am

larry schaffer wrote:Not much love for Santa Barbara County SB here. The Happy Canyon area is producing some great fruit, and Magna Mater has already been mentioned - but not mentioned yet are Grassini, Brander, Dragonette, and Starlane . . . just a few to search out.

Very interested to see what comes of the Starlane fruit now that Tyler Thomas, formerly of Donelan, is at the helm.

Cheers!
Huge +1 on Happy Canyon AVA and especially, for Dragonette.

dougwilder

#128 Post by dougwilder » April 2nd, 2014, 10:16 am

Scott Fitzgerald wrote:
Steve Ritchie wrote:I recently discovered Eric Kent's Cuvee Renee SB... definitely on the tropical, full-bodied, end of the spectrum (granted, it's all relative), but loved the acidity and the fruit.
+1 We really enjoyed this last year.
This sample had been sitting open on my desk for about 12 days after initial tasting with maybe 4 oz left. I had heated some leftovers and took a bite of something too hot and needed something to wash it down, so grabbed this. The wine was still tasting beautiful (@ room temp) which I was surprised by. I flipped through my notebook and saw what I had written, smiled and then drank the rest of it. champagne.gif
itb

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#129 Post by dcornutt » April 2nd, 2014, 11:33 am

There is a lot of great Sauvignon blanc out there.
I think the best is probably Laville Haut Brion Blanc now called La Mission Haut Brion Blanc. The problem is price.
This is practically 100% Sauvignon Blanc in years like 1990. Some years it is heavy Semillon. I know this is cheating a little.

My favorite however comes from Chile.
It comes from the Lo Abarca area and is made by Maria Luz (Mary Lou) Marin.

Casa Marin.

She has two vineyard designates. It remains some of the most thrilling Sauvignon blanc I have ever tasted. That includes Dagueneau and many others.
Last edited by dcornutt on April 2nd, 2014, 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

Noel Sherr

#130 Post by Noel Sherr » April 2nd, 2014, 11:54 am

scamhi wrote:Welcome to wine berserkers Noel!
Thanks! Happy to be here.

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member

#131 Post by Richard T r i m p i » April 2nd, 2014, 12:01 pm

dcornutt wrote:La Mission Haut Brion Blanc....I know this is cheating a little.
Yes it definitely is, considering that Semillon is usually in similar or higher amounts than the Sauv Blanc. I've tasted it once and it was delicious, as it better be for $700+ per bottle.

Taking things down a few notches and somewhat similarly, there's the affordable Graville-Lacoste Graves Blanc, offering fine value at $14 - $18.

RT

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#132 Post by dcornutt » April 2nd, 2014, 12:17 pm

Richard T r i m p i wrote:
dcornutt wrote:La Mission Haut Brion Blanc....I know this is cheating a little.
Yes it definitely is, considering that Semillon is usually in similar or higher amounts than the Sauv Blanc. I've tasted it once and it was delicious, as it better be for $700+ per bottle.

Taking things down a few notches and somewhat similarly, there's the affordable Graville-Lacoste Graves Blanc, offering fine value at $14 - $18.

RT
Rick,
The 1990 was a huge %age Sauvignon blanc due to the weather.
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member

#133 Post by Richard T r i m p i » April 2nd, 2014, 12:26 pm

Don, from a quality perspective I'm behind your supporting White Bordeaux. Guessing the % Sauvignon Blanc based on smell/taste alone wouldn't be particularly easy IMHO. My understanding is that white Bordeaux with anything close to 100% Sauv Blanc is comparatively rare (your 1990 LMHB not withstanding) unless things are changing.

RT

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#134 Post by dcornutt » April 2nd, 2014, 5:12 pm

Extremely rare Rick. That is why it is a little fudging re: the OP.
DON Cornutt

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#135 Post by M.Kaplan » April 2nd, 2014, 5:41 pm

dcornutt wrote: ...
My favorite however comes from Chile.
It comes from the Lo Abarca area and is made by Maria Luz (Mary Lou) Marin.

Casa Marin.

She has two vineyard designates. It remains some of the most thrilling Sauvignon blanc I have ever tasted. That includes Dagueneau and many others.
Thanks, Don, for the recommendation. I ordered some '11 Cipreses based on your enthusiasm.
---Mark

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#136 Post by dcornutt » April 2nd, 2014, 6:36 pm

Mark,
I really think you will like it.
Don
DON Cornutt

Oliver McCrum

#137 Post by Oliver McCrum » April 2nd, 2014, 6:46 pm

larry schaffer wrote:Not much love for Santa Barbara County SB here. The Happy Canyon area is producing some great fruit, and Magna Mater has already been mentioned - but not mentioned yet are Grassini, Brander, Dragonette, and Starlane . . . just a few to search out.

Cheers!
I think Fred Brander makes some excellent SB.
Oliver McCrum
Oliver McCrum Wines

Robert B.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#138 Post by Robert B. » April 19th, 2014, 7:03 am

We drank these a couple of nights ago...

2013 Bedrock Wine Co. Sauvignon Blanc
2012 Joseph Phelps Sauvignon Blanc

The Joseph Phelps was better than the Bedrock. Four of us shared the two bottles and we all agreed on this point.
B. = Bedwell
CT: RobertB321
Vivino: Robert B
Avatar is me in Oxford England fall of 2014

Robert B.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#139 Post by Robert B. » April 22nd, 2014, 4:14 am

Last night...

2012 Bouchaine Pinot Blanc Bacchus Collection Las Brisas Vineyard
2010 Robert Mondavi Winery Fumé Blanc Reserve To-Kalon Vineyard

Both were very good.
B. = Bedwell
CT: RobertB321
Vivino: Robert B
Avatar is me in Oxford England fall of 2014

Joel W

#140 Post by Joel W » April 22nd, 2014, 8:58 am

I had the Bedrock this weekend... I immediately grew angry with myself for not buying more.
J W.e.1.t.y
Calm Down...

Tran Bronstein
Contributor
Contributor

#141 Post by Tran Bronstein » April 22nd, 2014, 9:11 am

As mentioned in my Tasting Menu thread over in Epicurean Exploits, I was quite surprised to try an Obikwa 2013 Sauvignon blanc from the Western Cape of South Africa, a $10 CDN wine that was a very pleasant surprise -- fruit forward, herbaceous but not grassy, and very fresh tasting. Not complex or pristine like the TENZ Project but not trying to be, either. It went extremely well with the varied tasting menu I served on the weekend.
Tran's the smart one!- M Grammer

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#142 Post by Howard Cooper » April 22nd, 2014, 10:17 am

Scott Brunson wrote:
Robert B. wrote:When a nice crisp white wine is called for, I have no issues with Sauvignon Blanc.
That's why God created Chablis [wink.gif]
I would have said Riesling. [cheers.gif]
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#143 Post by Howard Cooper » April 22nd, 2014, 10:20 am

W. Leonard wrote:Surprised no one has mentioned the many beautiful and rich Sauvignon Blancs that come out of Austria.
I hate to be a broken record Warren, but maybe that is because they also make riesling in Austria.

I am not a huge SB fan. A few Loire whites I like but that is about it for pure SB. For blends including SB, I do like good white Bordeaux a good bit, but Domaine de Chavalier is expensive. [Carbonneaux is better priced.]
Howard

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#144 Post by Howard Cooper » April 22nd, 2014, 10:23 am

dcornutt wrote:I think the best is probably Laville Haut Brion Blanc now called La Mission Haut Brion Blanc.
Great choice. champagne.gif
Howard

Chris Blum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#145 Post by Chris Blum » April 24th, 2014, 9:33 pm

Domestics....grey stack and herb lamb.
"Well, wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit" -- Lucille Bluth
"The Packers f'n suck" -- Todd French

David Welch

#146 Post by David Welch » April 25th, 2014, 12:51 am

Very surprised that nobody has mentioned Arkenstone yet, probably my favorite domestic SB. Love everything I have tried from Kick Ranch Vineyard.

Love the stuff, especially White Bdx when I can find and afford it.
Cheers to all y'all
aka GalvezGuy

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#147 Post by Jay $$ Winton » April 25th, 2014, 7:41 am

picked another case of Domaine Girard Sancerre La Garenne 2012. Great drinking for $17
Immaturity-my life, not my wine.

Chris Blum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#148 Post by Chris Blum » April 25th, 2014, 8:08 am

I wonder if sales are lagging. I just had a call from Herb Lamb asking if they "could get me my allocation".
"Well, wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit" -- Lucille Bluth
"The Packers f'n suck" -- Todd French

Oliver McCrum

#149 Post by Oliver McCrum » April 25th, 2014, 10:36 am

Randy Bowman wrote:I find that a glass or two of most NZ and tart, acidic CA SB's are ideal before dinner and into the salad portion. The tartness and acidity wake up my taste buds and make me hungry. Really enjoy Ziata for that purpose. This style is also refreshing in warm weather.
I completely agree with this, somehow very aromatic but bone dry white wine gets my appetite started. I use Alto Adige SB instead of NZ but they're very similar in style.
Oliver McCrum
Oliver McCrum Wines

Bud Carey
GCC Member
GCC Member

#150 Post by Bud Carey » April 25th, 2014, 10:37 am

Just picked up my Apsara Sauv Blanc. Looking forward to trying one.
Budman

Return to “Wine Talk”